Idea to make Advanced Shield Capacitor / Suit slot items more useful.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NeonSonic, Nov 29, 2019.

1. TRspy007

Oh, my bad, I forgot snipers were allergic to skill.

I'm guessing the fact you're cloaked has something to do with you not getting sniped often...just a wild thought. Also I know most snipers are pathetic, but it's not hard to lead a shot when you have such high velocity. And I do mention that 98% of the time, the snipers shoot once I've finished my engagements and have most my shields down.
  2. Scroffel5

I am a sniper. My biggest threat is snipers. I should get counter sniped after my first kill. Thats what I do to other snipers, assuming that when I hear their shot, that was their first kill.

It is hard to lead a target. You try to shoot someone who is running erratically. Everyone else who stands still or runs slowly in a straight line is an idiot. Even if you are running fast in a straight line, expect to get sniped. Like DUH! Sure, sometimes I may be cloaked, but I can only be cloaked or 12 seconds at max. Also, you don't run into a battle cloaked, or else your cloak will run out when you need it. You stay uncloaked until you are sure you need it.

If a sniper shoots you, who isn't an Infiltrator, when they have their shields down, thats Planetside, and that is also just good targeting. Why should we try to snipe a Heavy Assault with Overshields or a MAX at full health when we can take down a dude who just killed a guy and is weakened? That is what the "Target Focus" implant is for! It helps you prioritize your targets and hold your breath longer. And if you are going for headshots, most of your shots on moving targets are usually a miss, which alerts them to your presence. If you are getting sniped a lot, Ima just do a you and tell you that you are doing something wrong.
  3. YellowJacketXV

The best thing you can do to buff the other suit slots is to Nerf nanoweave.

The best thing you can do to nerf nanoweave is to change the headshot meta.

I have been an avid player for years and I can tell you just how much I hate the headshot meta. I can think of no other system that causes as much damage to the game as the headshot meta. The headshot meta is also the reason PS2 cannot get new players. The game pits gets with 2~4k hours of experience that can chain headshots for days, essentially vaporizing enemy units in a firefight and they expect newbies to just "suck it up". That only works so far.

Veterans just don't want to hear about it because they're salty as **** and don't want any potential of a new player beating them. That's literally it. The group that complains about fixes to the headshot meta is the same group that sits in front of a spawn room in biolabs.

Gun damage overall should just be a bit higher and headshot should honestly only be about 50% more damage. You still kill like mad if you hit the head, but gives more lenience to new players who do not have the resources to deal with chained headshots.
  4. TRspy007

Sorry, all I read there was "I'm a pathetic loser; I have no skill".
  5. Scroffel5

So basically the same thing I always read from you? You see, now you are just being salty, and your bias against snipers is even more evident.

We don't need to lower the headshot damage to counteract snipers. Then the person who still gets the headshots wins. It doesn't do anything. It just makes everyone harder to kill, but at the same time easier to kill after you have gotten into a fight. If there is less differentiation between a headshot and a body shot, you stop being a killing machine. Numbers would matter even more. In the current state of the game, if you can chain headshots, you can take down someone else with minimal damage taken. If the headshot multiplier is reduced, you are going to take down someone and take a ton of damage, then die when the next person comes along, almost every single time. Numbers would be the only thing that mattered, because it obviously won't matter if you can hit your shots as well anymore. The people with the body shots won't need to.
  6. DarkStarAnubis

Back on the original topic: I saw an interesting proposal on Reddit about HVA piercing nanoweave armor.

It is - IMHO of course - not a bad idea: instead of flatly removing or nerfing, make the armor more vulnerable to certain weapons combo.r

Even better : introduce another ammo type (NPA) that can pierce nanoweave with some drawback to avoid to make it the next ammo meta.
    • Up x 1
  7. Scroffel5

What is HVA?

If we have certain things that pierce Nano-weave, it forces those players to play more conservatively. So in short, yes.
  8. DarkStarAnubis

HVA is high velocity ammo, a variant of ammo usable on some weapons to extend damage at max range, decrease at min range, and increase bullet speed. In short good for ranged weapons (Pulsar C, Cougar, Razor,...)

As opposed to SPA - soft point ammo extending damage at min range and decreasing speed. Good for CQC/hipfire combat.
  9. NeonSonic

Yeah that's the idea I dont know about you guys but in every fight without nanoweave u can seriously get torn up by every weapon in the game. I was hoping the devs would see this and make all suit slot items have some armor protection like back in planetside 1 instead of only having 1 suit slot item with armor. which is weird and lame in a massive war game.
  10. NeonSonic

Yeah i know what u mean snipers / counter-sniping can be a pain. With all the implants and suit slots they have in this game, devs could easily put in something like a new suit slot called 'counter-espionage' 20% small arms resistance, 20% headshot reduction.
    • Up x 1
  11. NeonSonic

Also I see a lot of players think Nanoweave armor needs to go completely if they did that people would just get utterly destroyed even more so, I used to run ammo bandolier a lot because i would frequently run out of ammo but i would use the high damage rifles to compensate like for example Corvus VA55 for Vanu Sovereignty Reaper DMR for New Conglomerate and SABR-13(i think that was the name) for Terran Republic. Basically these weapons would rip anyone to shreds even with nanoweave armor. I would use it with ammo bandolier and with 6x scopes laser sights high-velocity ammo atleast sidewinder rank 4 implant and with regen implant(any rank). basically with this u could effectively take players down at mid - long range and in short range u could strafe - hipfire them until you kill them its pretty effective, think of it as agile exo-suit versus rexo exo-suit (as seen from PlanetSide 1), you make up for less armor with more mobility. Not everyone is a OMGHEADSHOTKILLINMACHINE try it its pretty effective, and fun.
  12. Scroffel5

I thought of something. How about headshots do more damage to you? For lore reasons, the nanites used to protect the head are rerouted to the torso, arms, and legs, giving 20% damage reduction to those parts but more damage to the head.
  13. Scroffel5

P.S. It automatically makes higher damage weapons more dangerous, especially semi autos. You were especially going for headshots with those anyways.
  14. NeonSonic

Another thought on this from a gameplay standpoint and realistic standpoint it would make sense to give every suit slot base 20% small arms resist, think of it as a soldier / police officer / SWAT u have your bulletproof vest, then u have your ammo, grenades, etc. then the suit slots are basically ways to further customize said bulletproof vest, example u could carry more grenades, or more ammunition for primary and sidearms, or have explosives resistance, etc. or u could do like planetside 1 and have armors and be able to customize your inventory better like determine how much ammo and grenades and health kits you carry. anything is better than what it is now and its been this way since 2012.

nanoweave slot costs 1 cert for 20% small arms resist so i really dont see why this should continued to be used as a crutch. without nanoweave, the damage taken is noticeable and you do get killed way more easily, its like going into battle with no armor at all. Also this wouldnt eliminate nanoweaves effectiveness altogether it would still have the heavier caliber weapons resistances.
  15. Scroffel5

If everything has 20% damage reduction, then everything kills slower, and damage models on guns are misleading. Itd make more sense to just change all of those so people dont have to adjuwt a TTK while taking in a percentage of damage reduction.

I am a Flash driver, and I run jockey. i used to run ASC for my suit slot, then I had an epiphany. Why am I running that when I can run nanoweave and say alive longer? Switched to nanoweave, never going back. They used to kill me super fast, but now its like im a tank.

Here is another idea: if your shield takes damage and you have ASC, it doesnt have a downtime for recharging, but if it breaks it does. Say you take 400 damage to your 500 health shield. Your shield would immediately try to regenerate, where as now it takes X amount of seconds to start recharging. If you take 500 damage, ASC would function as now. What about that? The other suit slots can get some sort of damage reduction, but not as much as nanoweave gives. Enough to be noticeable, for sure, plus the buff they give now. Nanoweave just will reduce damage.
  16. TRspy007

The problem is that this would mostly affect noobs, since most people chain headshots -which aren't affected by nanoeve armor anyways. What would be good is to find a way to buff overall health or headshot resistance, in order to make engagements a little less affected by ping, and give new players a chance. Almost every person I get to try the game is shredded by vets, simply because they aren't familiar with the mechanics and aren't used to headshots affecting gameplay so much.

I do agree that HVA could be more useful, and piercing nanoeve (and symbiote) might be a good idea, but we would have to inform new players in particular about this during the tutorial. I doubt the rest of the community would trade the benefits of SPA for nanoeve piercing bullets, considering they go for headshots in the first place.

I agree that skill should be rewarded, but I also want players to join the game, and this 2x headshot multiplier on most weapons is a little much for them. This might also help combat certain ping/lat issues, we've all ran and died behind cover, a little bit of extra health could help keep us alive despite lag (perhaps).
  17. Scatterblak

Let's not solve the problem by you suggesting that I give up half of my implant slots, k? :)

18. DemonicTreerat

After further consideration I think the best fix is to redo how player shields function completely.

Right now they're nothing more than 400 to 900 health that regenerates after a given amount of time if not being shot at. What they should be is what I suggested above - a form of self-repairing armor that asorbs a limited amount of damage from each hit until its "health" is depleted. The change is that the three "armor" suit slots modify how that shield works. Advanced Capacitor would remain unchanged - increasing rate of self-repair etc. Flak and Nanoweave would reduce the amount of damage taken by their respective weapon types, at the price of burning through the shields health much faster. So while someone with full nanoweave might survive a straight up slugfest against a single opponent better, they're going to be a big disadvantage against multiple opponents or in situations where one or both sides can duck out to recharge their shields a bit.