[Suggestion] Add A Primary Bow-type Weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Scroffel5

Lol ok, ok. How about this: standard crosshairs also work as a rangefinder (i.e there are lines on it, and you put it next to them to measure drop and lead time, reference to the PUBG crossbow), a night vis sight, a 4x sight, and a 6x scope. Better?
    • Up x 1
  2. Exileant

:eek: If you make the 4X a 3X, ACCEPTABLE!!! :D And only 3 tanks had to meet their maker. :oops: *Hands over half of a cracked Vanguard cannon barrel* Yooooou remember that paaaain.....o_O
  3. Scroffel5

Done. That works out fine.
  4. tigerchips

Older games never had these guns, you know why, it was to keep everything in balance. i have a feeling though that today's monetization has ruined any sense of balance.
  5. Scroffel5

Thats an assumption. There is a game on ROBLOX called "Phantom Forces". I asked they add a bow. They said no, because it wouldn't fit in with all the guns. That may be the logic about things too. Even if the bow isn't a one hit kill, maybe just a one hit kill on headshot, it is still a fully silent weapon. We could even buff the velocity of the arrow to give it little drop but still make it kinda slow, and it would still not feel like a sniper.
  6. TR5L4Y3R

yes phaseshift can ONLY oneheadshotkill ... that´s the thing .. you want onebodyshotkill which means a chance to kill on a bigger hitbox, meaning less neccesity to be precise in aim ..

hunter is 1 sec rechamber ..

nope ... some of the infantry classes are missing specific capability that limits what they can fight against .... infils and medic can do jack against vehicles and air and shouldn´t be forced to merely support in basefights only ..
    same goes for vehicles in the AA area ..

do you also want it to make you a sandwich and a milchshake while massaging your shoulders and cleaning your room?

i mean you do remember what just recently happened with DBG right .. so maybe you could try and be a bit .. "realistic" with your idea

the simplest idea for a planetside-bow is to have it be more precise and with faster projectilespeed the longer you charge it AND it´s ONLY onebodyshotkillcapable when fully charged (which should take around 3 or 4 seconds, and it still has a high projectiledrop, also charge only while ADS) otherwise it will stay a 2 bodyshotweapon ... like think of a gauss or rail-esque (similar but not like the lancer) techbow instead of a classic bow ..

there shouldn´t be more complex functions than that ...
    i wouldn´t mind explosive arrows (but these CAN NOT oneshotkill)
    or something like a noisearrow (similar to the grenades of the same type) for a change ..

ftfy

for infantry specifically the decimator, otherwise AP tankcannons, the halbert and likely the dalton ...

guess i´m nobody then
    apearantly default silenced weapons are options for insane people ... who knew ...
  7. DarkStarAnubis

The salt is strong in this one...

What happened to you m8, did you play planetside Arena recently?
  8. TR5L4Y3R

soooo PS: arena has a one bodyshot bowweapon is what you want to say or what rubbish are you trying to write?
    is playing PS:arena considered a bad thing ?
    your statemeant implies using the crossbow as secondary is for insane nobodys

do you have anything to say regarding what i said torwards the topic sweet sugarboy? ...
  9. tigerchips

What i meant to say was "Older games never had so many guns". They simply didn't need them, the gameplay was enough to keep people interested for years to come. Battlefield 2142 being one such game. Nowadays, there's so much stuff in the way of weapons, gadgets, etc, If you change one attribute, all the other attributes become unbalanced, hence this thread.
  10. tigerchips

Planetside Arena still has potential, just not in it's current form. What Planetside Arena needs is a good game mode, something that was popular but never really used much. I'm talking 2142 Titan like mode, there's a gap in the market for such a game mode because Dice refuses to make a sequel to that game, despite it being quite popular. Now think about that mode on a larger scale, huge maps, thousands of players, etc.

I think one of the devs said they might be working on a mode like that, or at least said they'd look into it.
  11. Scroffel5

Oh, I understand. Older games didn't have as many guns, yes. They had a gun for each role, but in a futuristic game, you want weapon that are all special in one way or another, and they fit into your playstyle. Because of how gaming has changed in the sense of popularity and followers, you gotta try to give something for everyone. More weapons means more options, and people like options.

Bro I am not understanding your logic. I mentioned the Phaseshift because it has an unlimited amount of kills because of the unlimited ammo. I wasn't saying that there was already a one shot kill weapon in game; i was just mentioning it because of the potential for unlimited kills, which was one of your arguments about giving it unlimited ammo. I can see the problem with it. However, what I don't understand is how you say it is wrong for it to be a one shot body shot kill, and then go on to recommend that the simplest idea for the bow would be to make it be an only onebodyshotkill when it is fully charged?

I never said that it should be a one body shot kill when it isn't charged. In fact, I was saying that it should be it ONLY when it is fully charged, otherwise that would be unfair. The thing is, that is what everyone is saying. So, what is your argument about the idea of a one shot body shot bow? We are on the same page here, so I am probably missing something.

I want different options for the bow, similar to the crossbow. Here is a compromise: the explosive arrows can do high damage to yourself if you use them in close range and hit yourself. Better?

HERE IS THE MAIN PARAGRAPH I WANT YOU TO FOCUS ON:

Many of the times in the post you quoted from what the bow could be, I said the phrase "may or may not". What does that entail? It means it is subject to change. I am not bound to it, and we don't have to add everything that I said. However, these are the things i do want. I do want it to be silent, to be a longbow and you have to charge it (aka NOT another crossbow), and I really want (though unrealistic and sadly, won't be considered for the most part) to be able to have an attachment to turn it into a melee when you press 1 again, similar to an underbarrel smoke, grenade, or incendiary launcher. An explosive arrow that can stick into walls and be detonated are subjective to change, no matter how much I want this. OHK may be subjective to change. Primitive rangefinder may be subjective to change. Screen shake may be subjective to change. Demigan's arrow-nade may be subjective to change. These cool things may be subjective to change.

Got any questions, comments, concerns?
  12. That_One_Kane_Guy

Honestly, for a Primary? Not worth the trouble. And flirts with too fine of a balance line.
    For example, if you make it kill only with a headshot you have to now try and find a way to convince me to use this weapon when I can just throw a suppressor on my Daimyo or CQB bolt and get the same results with a faster RoF+less bullet drop.

On the other hand if you make it a OHK to the body you now need to find a way to not completely break the game.
    >Do you make them de-cloak to draw the bow? If so how do you make it worthwhile for a player to use if they have to stand their with their **** out for XX seconds before they're allowed to shoot?
    >If they don't have to decloak to draw the bow, how to you keep it from becoming the Second Coming of Shotgun Infiltrators Except Now With Suppressors (tm)?

On top of all this, how do you manage projectile speed, drop, damage fall-off, etc. for either of these scenarios?

If it doesn't do either of these things but instead delivers a payload, how do you either make it worthwhile to use when the Thumper/UBGLs exist, OR keep these weapons relevant if you turn this Bow into a direct upgrade?

This doesn't even address all the new animations that would need to be added, and given the current state of the game, size of the team, and the things they are still working on (Oshur, Sanctuaries, the still-pending list of things in PTS Purgatory) I just don't see how it is practical to expend resources on something like this when the most likely results are either a useless gimmick that no-one uses or an overpowered source of frustration.
  13. TR5L4Y3R

difference between older games they were smaller in content in general, complete packages and had full price costs ..

this here however is a grand and complex free to play game .. it features factions with diversaty allong with a common weaponpool for all .. but with it´s current complexity it lacks in areas .. it could very well just use existing weapons to cover these lacking areas but at the same time some of the platforms like maxxes for example lack in variety imo..

yes you were missing that you wanted it to be bodyshot OHK on charge WITH a heatmechanic/unlimited ammo of which i call BS
    and again the phaseshift ONLY OHK on headshots not bodyshots, THAT´s the difference .. and no other heatmechanictype weapon iirc is capable of OHKs ...

they are FRIGGIN explosives, OF COURSE they should damage you .. but because they are explosive you can potentionaly damage more opponents, thus explosive arrows should NOT be able to OHK EVER ..

and i merely told you to not go overboard with your "may or may nots" ..
    keep it simple and overseeable ..
    i also mentioned IF it´s gonna be capable to OHK on body shots IT CAN NOT have lots/unlimited ammo .. no superstrong weapon does but AP cannons, daltons and halberds ... which i still consider BS since at least against AP flaksuit means jack compared to when it meant something ...
  14. Scroffel5

Ok, I understand. I was saying a heat mechanic to fit in with the futuristic time that we are fighting in, but I can see how that could go wrong. As for the explosive arrows, just cut down the damage of the actual arrow and add some indirect damage from the explosion, or make it so that you have to actually detonate the arrow. If you die, arrow despawns. It would require you to pull back the arrow all the way, hit them with the arrow for some damage, and then detonate it. If you aren't dead by then, you probably scored yourself a kill, depending on where you hit. Arms and legs don't OHK. I think I should have obviously mentioned that.

I understand about going overboard. I just want to give a general idea of what is subjective to change. I didn't want to leave them out. You go on to mention weapons that can OHK and have unlimited ammo. Those things are mounted on things that are hard to destroy. If you have a OHK weapon, you gotta give it a long reload AND/OR, in the case of a bow, a longer drawback time. Making it slow also helps. Add that to the bow, play it, test it, and see how it works.

Balance can be iffy. I suggest that you put it all in the game, most of what we have suggested here, and test it. I am gonna get roasted for this, but do it like the Railjack. It had an alt fire-mode that people whined about, so they got rid of it and replaced it with something probably less desirable at first glance.

Put the bow on the test server, see what works and what doesn't, and then put it to live. Put in some basic numbers and test it out. See if it seems bland or a copy of a sniper, and change the numbers. Projectile speed, drop, and damage falloff can be worked out. Obviously we would want you to decloak to draw the bow, otherwise that is a whole 'nother can of worms. As for animations, to that I say meh. I have tried to make animations before, and if you know what you are doing, it isn't all that. I could care less if the animation bugs and they have to sort that out, because honestly, they are gonna have to sort that out anyways, as with all updates they make. I understand all you are saying. There are priorities. At the same time, this could be a fun addition to the game. New mechanics shows that the ideas are still coming, and if they listen to us and add this, that means they are looking at the forums. Win-win. The other updates will come, but lets advocate for this, because it is an uncertainty.
  15. Broffensive

I can see where people are coming from, not wanting an instagib primary for stalker cloakers, and I raise you: you must retrieve the arrows in order to keep using them. Think about it. You miss a shot, it flies off the base, you are either completely down an arrow that life, or you need to jump off the base and go retrieve it. It rewards skillful gameplay in that: you shoot the planetman, you get your arrow back easily, off his body; you miss the shot, that shot is gone unless you go all the way to wherever it landed. Or have an increased flinch when being struck while drawing the bow back, as it is both light and strenuous when compared to holding a rifle.
  16. Exileant

;) Next time ask if they can add a Rail Gun. o_O Those are quiet if you keep them small.
  17. Scroffel5

Fair.
  18. Scroffel5

Rail gun sniper for the Flash, confirmed. Then every class can have a sniper.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scroffel5

No longer opposed to having this on Stalkers as a Primary.
  20. DerErschoepfte1

I like the idea of a bow really much. I also like the Hunter CQX but I want a primary bow too.
    Yes, I play most of the time as an infil but the bow shouldn't be a OHK for all classes (maybe only for infils like the Hunter CQX). Maybe it's possible to feature some of the specific fraction traits (NC = more damage, TR = more shots or a bit faster reloading speed, VS = heat based or no bullet drop) and the damage increases with a longer charge, like some suggested before. The damage could be building up from 250 to 600 in for example 1,2 sec.
    It should behave like a scout rifle and get a scope up to 4x.
    Since it would be a primary weapon infils need the hunter or nano armor cloak for it and can't hide without moving around.
    The charge can only start when you are not cloaked (like the Spiker's blast) and the cone of fire is reduced the longer your charge. Simple.

Special darts....I don't know. If the fraction traits are used with the bow then no other gimmicks since it's already fraction specific and this would be the first weapon which would be also class specific in addition. Class specific is the NS-66 Punisher for example.

In conclusion:
    I would keep the bow as a niche fraction specific primary weapon with the ability to kill at full charge a normal infil with a headshot from close quarters.

P.S. I play most of the time as VS and infil, so I'm maybe a bit biased. Please don't hate me^^