[Suggestion] Add A Primary Bow-type Weapon

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Demigan

Yes I have. In fact just 2 days ago I did it and managed to score about 5 kills in a row with the right weapon and position. With a OHK bodyshot, even one that needs to "charge" for 3 seconds, I would have been able to kill like that in many more circumstances.
    Naturally I didnt just say "oh a crowd lets randomly shoot into it", I did aim but with how I positioned myself I would deal great damage with any potential misses making it easier to kill multiple people per mag as the next target would already be damaged.
  2. TR5L4Y3R

OH YES UNLIMITED AMMO ...... FOR AN INFIL .... WITH A ONE HIT BLOODY BODYSHOTWEAPON (you REALY want THAT?) ....
    .... .... and i´m sorry i CAN`T put this in without CAPS .. but do you friggin realise HOW redicioulous that is?

YES .. let´s have stuff simply for gimmicky reasons ... is not like the crossbow is already a 2 bodyshotweapon with which you can bolt-knivecombokill already ...

and no it´s absolutely not the same ... you want a silent projectile one hit kill weapon that at best people are visualy aware of through a trail the arrows may leave as it wouldn´t otherwise show up on the map ...
    a rocketlauncher is slow and loud, a lancer in particular with its charge and trail is extremely easy to be aware of for how loud it is on charge ... not to mention it takes a eternaty to charge fully and even then you won´t get a oneshot with it .. it takes one full 3 ammo charge and a 2 ammo charge to kill a default infantry man ... only the decimator can truely onehitkill infantry .. every other launcher as well as the nadelauncher kill on 2 bodyshots .. so why the heck should the infill of all people get that one bodyshot killweapon?

i have killed people in crowds with a rocketlauncher, with explosive bolts AND the default bolts .. it´s easier than you think to hit clumped up infantry ..

being onehit killed is NEVER fun being on the recieving end .. .. at least knivers and c4 fairys have to come close to you ..
    snipers at least have both to lead and hit the headarea for a oneshot, the decimator while being as far as i know the only launcher to onehitkill on bodyshots is the slowest of the launchers maybe second to the TV guided one ..
    no infantryman can however do jack against AP tanks if caught in the open ..

if that bow was to be onebodyshotcapable it CAN NOT under any circumstaces be a laser neither a heattypeweapon .. NOR have much ammo (10 to 12 shots MAX) .. it should definetively have a massive bulletdrop similar to a grenade or rocketlauncher and missing with it would need to be pretty much a deathsentence to the infil as well as him being caught in the middle of a charge up close .. and it should under no case have the effective range of boltaction sniperrifles ...
  3. then00b

There are ways to limit its annoyance factor, obviously it will have a slow velocity, and lots of gravity drop, damage will probably drop off pretty quickly too. Could make it so each arrow type has different mechanics entirely. If for some reason there's a bodyshot arrow make the drawback and reload time very long, and the kill distance rather short. And maybe have other utility arrows, a proper light flare perhaps instead of the 2 second ones we have now. Tempted to say you can have 2 arrow types equipped to switch through unlike the crossbow where the recon dart option basically removes its killing potential, but that may skew it to being a bit too useful.
    But this is all just suggestions for something that is unlikely to happen. They'd have to make a new animation set for such weapons so I don't see it happening. Always kind of wanted 2 handed melee weapons for laughs but that's probably not happening either.

Oh and we never got those MAX flamethrowers.
    • Up x 1
  4. adamts01

The infil has plenty of OHK sidearms if they land headshots. And seriously, an infil could double tap 2 or maybe 3 guys with body shots with either the pilot or commissioner in the time it would take to charge a 1.5 second body shot with a bow. And the Pilot can be silent as well. The Amp could destroy someone immediately out of cloak long before someone could half charge this bow. And with the slow velocity and grenade launcher drop, there's no way these guys would stand a chance at any real range. There could even be a .5 or even .4 movement multiplier when charging to help balance the thing. I really don't think the sky would fall.
  5. Exileant

:eek: That is the reason, right there. Because a missile launcher and projected energy weapon built to destroy tank armor, cannot put a human down in light armor in one body hit (CONSISTENTLY). We need a weapon that can do that. And no it is not unlimited. o_O They are arrows, and the goal is to enforce the ammo retrieve feature.

;) So Lore wise, this translates to each of the 3 shafts housing a Micro Nanite Shield Generator and Personal Locator Beacon (For your radar only). This allows the shaft to not only remain intact after detonation, but also to rebuild new arrow heads for use after retrieval. However this breakthrough in micro-technology comes at a steep price. :confused: The shafts are too complex to be replaced via Ammo Dispenser, you MUST retrieve the arrows you shoot. Or replenish the shafts at a weapons terminal. :eek: I would add an auto recall feature as an upgrade option. The bulk of this added device reduces your arrow count to 2 and would take 1 minute for the arrow each arrow fired to establish a connection to the quiver. ;) Perhaps even an extra second or 2 to return home.

o_O This will force an Infiltrator to either be proactive and go get those arrows, or it will force them to sit and wait, only allowing a maximum of 2 kills every 3 to 4 minutes in most scenarios. :D In Crowd Control Situations, 2 chances to kill per 2 minutes, or a minute an arrow. I can tell you right now, most people will not be waiting, they will most certainly be proactive with time limitations like that. ESPECIALLY if it is their secondary and there for only weapon. :) So I vote for it to fit in both slots. On a Hunter cloak the limited cloak would be more than enough incentive for them to equip the return feature and hide in the hills.
  6. Scroffel5

You guys dont seem to understand practice. In practice, to be effective with the bow, youd always have to have the jump on someone and youd have to have time on your side. It is a 1v1 type weapon where you can't miss a single shot, otherwise your charge time for another full damage arrow is too long.

I don't care how a OHK bow and arrow sounds to you. It'll work if you balance it. Numbers won't make the bow a new, amazingly OP thing, because lets to real. Miss a sniper shot with even a 1.3 second rechamber and you are PROBABLY dead. Try 1, w, or 3 seconds of reload plus drawing the bow back. OOF.

Of course there would be range dropoff. At range, you'd have to hit a target in the head with a relatively slow moving, high gravity projectile, with no sight to help you, not to mention the target will be moving. The optimal range for the weapon is at the range where you will die. Screw your counterarguments, because practice is what matters.

I say put it on the test server and lets try out our ideas and see what works, because I want this.

And as for the unlimited ammo complaint, noted. I can see how that can go bad. Yet, the Phaseshift is a sniper that has the potential to OHK on headshots at high ranges, so there is that.

As for the complaint about the Hunter, screw that one. It takes 2 body shots to kill out of a 4 round mag, with a 1.5? second rechamber time between each shot.
  7. Scroffel5

And if anyone should get a one hit kill weapon, it'd be infils, because the only thing they can do is kill infantry. Not a real solid argument, but at the end of the day, which it is for me, I don't care.
  8. tigerchips

Don't you think there's enough weapons in the game already.
  9. Scroffel5

Ha, no. The more unique weapons there are, the better. A bow is unique.
    • Up x 1
  10. Exileant

;) That is true. Potential and Practical Application are two different things. o_O Will not know until it is tried.
  11. Demigan

You can circumvent the charge/draw time by doing that behind cover. But the real question is: Why do you insist on having this feature even if you basically just said it would only be body-OHK in CQC? What is so important that is has to be a OHK bodyshot? Can't you give it some other feature instead? Like the feature I proposed that instead of OHK it debilitates your opponent making it harder to retaliate for them and making it easier for you to land your next shot for the kill?
    • Up x 1
  12. DarkStarAnubis

Because otherwise nobody with a sane mind would use it.

Think: A weapon taking a lot of time to aim and reload, with slow projectile speed, high gravity and a RoF comparable to a turtle walking?

Nobody is using the Crossbow for the same reason. It can't even OHK with an headshot!
  13. Demigan

It heavily depends on the exact velocity, gravity and ROF. But why would we add a ranged OHK bodyshot weapon if you can make other things worthwhile?

Lets say the arrow when maximally drawn deals 850 damage a shot, 500 without drawing the string. It takes 0.5s to knock the next arrow allowing for a constinuous fire rate in a pinch. Maximally drawn the arrow has a fairly straight path with little drop. Damage falloff could be non-existant.
    Add options like firing your grenades as arrows (potentially sticky one's!) And you have a solid weapon on your hands. It also offers the OHK bodyshots but you have to pay resources for each grenade in sticky mode and the grenade works on the normal timer.

Access to a variety of specialty arrows could enhance the variety. A rocket arrow that removes drop and adds explosive damage. A remote sticky bomb that you can place in doorways and other places as a trap. Just imagine someone running through a doorway, detonating the explosive, they immediately turn and flee to avoid getting shot but you were actually waiting outside. An arrow that fires a shotgunblast to the left and right when detonated, giving you a chance to set it up as a trap or detonate it mid-air to hit someone behind cover or a doorway. Each arrow could still deal a large amount of direct damage alongside their additional purpose.
  14. DarkStarAnubis

I hear what you say, but there is a world of difference between firing at an unsuspecting enemy with a low RoF/high DMG and firing the same weapon while you are being hammered by a Watchman and you can't even aim.

A slow and lazy bow can only be a stand-off weapon unless you are someone like elusive1 (I remember the discussions about his suspicious skills, that is not the point I want to make): the only question is whether is a OHK with a bodyshot or an headshot.

And yes I am aware there are no OHK bodyshots weapons (except maybe some rocket launchers IIRC) but that bow should have a very slow projectile speed: you have something good for just a single shot. Not two because the enemy will be alerted.

And since it is a stand-off weapon you can't do things like pistol-and-knife combo because you are out of reach.

It is not that I like OHK weapons (which are typical Infiltrator weapons), but if you want to have a bow in the game and you want someone to use it, you must give something.

We can even have arrows as consumable as you said (such as grenades, thus costing nanites), who cares. It will be a niche weapon anyway, used by maybe 1-2 players out of 100.
  15. Scroffel5

Cuz otherwise it may not be viable. Maybe if the arrow had to be pulled out, aka a new animation, or else you'd keep taking damage, that'd compensate. Im not against your idea, but an OHK in close ranges seems appropriate.
  16. Scroffel5

Lets go over the basics of the bow idea that I am now looking at based on your suggestions.

I want a primary bow, that uses arrows that can stick in walls and maybe be picked up again, especially if you gotta pull them out of you, different arrow types, may or may not be a OHK, may cause screen shake when you get shot with it and make it harder to aim, and hopefully has a transformable mode to turn into a dual bladed staff. High damage, low velocity, high drop, no sight except for crosshairs. Am I missing anything?
  17. Exileant

o_O Unless they nerfed it, yes it could. ;) You just had to use the standard bolts.
  18. Exileant

:confused: Who said anything about it not having sights? I have a compound bow that can equip multiple iron sites. Sights are fine. It is a weapon that can excel two ranges well (Long and short) :eek: #R.P. Arrows F.T.W. ;) Its downfall would be mid-range as the other weapons would be faster to wield unless you draw before engagement. :) And you are forgetting the fact that you would not be able to replace these arrows with an Ammo dispenser, that way you 'Suggest' people get in there and use that Melee function.
  19. Scroffel5

No, no it can't. It can only one shot headshot Infiltrators.

Me. I said it not having iron sights, and I said it was a Longbow, not a compound. I know compounds can have multiple sights. By making it harder to even aim with it, that balances the weapon further.
  20. Exileant

;) I have a swappable sight on my simple bow as well. Hahahaha! o_O It is right up there with my thumb guard and shaft guide. :eek: GIVE ME MY DANG SIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU GET YOUR BLASTED MELEE FEATURE, I WANT MY GADGUM RAMBO ARROWS WITH HEAVY BOTTLE ROCKET JET NOISE and SOMETHING TO AIM THEM WITH!!!!!!! :mad: *Flips Magrider* :eek: IT"S NOT FAIR!!!!! :mad: *Slams Vanguard* :eek: THAT IS MESSED UP, SCROFF!!!!!! o_O:eek::mad:*Grabs Prowler and performs Final Atomic Buster into Hyper Fireball with Lightning Storm Finish* Ahem..... Please and thank you.:oops: Also, Hm, then they changed something. I know I remember head shooting people way back when.