How Much Memory Do You Need To Play This Game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Scroffel5

I am not really sure how it works, but a graphics card means the graphics that you can register right? So the memory means how much you can register? Something close to that right?

For me, I am playing on a potato, so I run in low graphics, but when we start getting into bigger battles and continents with more stuff on it like Hossin, my PC runs at like 5 FPS or lower. Again, I have a crap graphics card, but I only have like 3GB of usable memory, as I only have 4 MB of memory. I want to add more. How much should I get?
  2. Towie

You'll need to supply your full specs - but from what you are saying, if you've got 4GB and only 3GB is usable, then you have integrated graphics ??? (I say that as PS2 went 64 bit only a few years ago).

How much do you need ? Well - it should still play ok on 4GB. 8GB dual channel memory is generally regarded as 'more than most current games need' so I guess that is the ideal price/performance trade off.

BUT - all said and done, PS2 absolutely loves clock speed and instructions per clock. Going much above 4 cores is really not going to help much. I strongly suspect your real issue is the lack of CPU horsepower, in which case adding more memory is just putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.
  3. Scroffel5

Alright thank you. That means my potato will still continue to potato. My CPU is usually really high while playing Planetside. My potato is a potato.
  4. Scroffel5

And yes, I do have integrated graphics. It is an HP 15 Laptop. It would be incredibly hard to find a better graphic card that works with this computer.
  5. ycluk

It's pretty much impossible to add a dedicated graphic card into a laptop. Also, external ones are just not worth it.

The graphic card inside a laptop has to be soldered onto the motherboard when the circuit board is assembled in the manufacturing process. Individual consumers can add / change graphic card in desktop computers, but not laptops.

If you want a laptop to play this game, you need to buy a gaming laptop that comes with a dedicated GPU in it. You may... be able to buy a new laptop with AMD Ryzen APU that comes with Vega 8 or Vega 10 graphic processing cores, but I doubt the performance would be good when it comes to large scale battles.

Like Ryzen 5 3500U / 3550H or Ryzen 7 3700U / 3750H, the ones with U are for low power, may not be suitable for gaming, and H ones is better for gaming, but laptop cooling is never comparable to desktop.

My gaming laptop comes with Intel 8750H and GTX 1060 6GB, and I still use very low graphic and 60 fps only, just to keep my CPU / GPU not very hot, so I hope they will last longer.

If you don't need to carry your gaming rig around, get a desktop better. It's not hard to learn how to look for spec and build your own.
  6. MonnyMoony

About an hours worth I reckon..........
  7. Exileant

;) Simple. Dropkick your P.C. Buy a PS4 and have at least 60 megs worth of router love. High Graphics, low lag, V.S. is not always winning. :p It is a win-win and it is cheaper than buying new gear.
  8. ycluk

That depends on how much you already know. If anyone completely don't know anything about computer system, it could take very long time to look up all the spec, purchase the components, and install the hardware and software. That's a long ... process.

However, if OP wants / needs to buy a new computer, Thanksgiving Black Friday is around the corner. It's time to prepare now.

It's time to start looking at gaming computers, desktop / laptop, and search for reviews online or YouTube (tons of them), and Black Friday deals info should be out soon. It's time to start looking at spec, reviews, and price now. Like this kind of review.

For gaming laptop, I prefer AMD Ryzen 2nd gen over Intel nowadays, and Acer Nitro 5 is the basic opinion. However, the cooling fans on the Nitro 5 is 1 sided only, and I dislike it. My Walmart Overpowered 15+ laptop has cooling fans at both rear end corners and each has fins blowing out to the back and side. That's my preferred cooling for laptop.

Many other brands are available, Asus, GigaByte, MSI, Lenovo, HP, Dell, Razor, and more.
  9. Scroffel5

Also, why does my FPS randomly drop when my internet goes to bad, and then stays low for a while? Is it overheating? And sometimes when I am in an environment that has too much stuff in it, if I turn too fast, I start to lag. Is that a processing issue too?
  10. ycluk

You need stable internet connection to play this game for sure. It depends on where you live and whether your location has any internet service providers that can provide stable internet connection.

However, you are sure need to have a better computer to be able to play this game with playable fps (60 or so). It could be just your system is low on memory and even the network chips info can't get processed and cause connection issue because your system just isn't up to the task to run this game smoothly. It is just my speculation, but it's still remotely possible.

Anyway, like I mentioned above to get a new computer on sale at Black Friday is your best bet to be able to play this game smoothly.
  11. Skraggz

Or you could surf newegg and Amazon's open box sections and buy from them not 3rd party with guarantees, or refurb. My Asus swift 27in was refurb for 450 with certification. That's about half the price new.
  12. adamts01

There are extra settings options in your user config file. Google some absolute potato settings and play with those. Turn off particles, lower your resolution scale, set render range to 300-600 if you're only playing infantry, and okay around with textures on either low or ultra, some machines work better with that setting turned up. Also, lower your voice channels, use the stand alone launcher, not steam, and use a program like razor to minimize everything else that's going on while you game. I also had to rig up a box fan for a computer stand when I was using a laptop, as any cooling will help.
  13. Scroffel5

My internet is what screws me over half the time. Also, screw 60 FPS. I just want 25 or 30. I can live with a constant 20. But yeah, the game recommends either 4 or 6 MB of memory (I can't remember what the minimum requirements are) I only have 3 MB usable, and that gets taken up because of other things active, like Steam, cuz I play it on Steam. That seems to me like I need more memory.
  14. Skraggz

Try a VPN
  15. Scroffel5

A VPN won't make my internet not go out ever 1 hour or less while having fluctuation inbetween those intervals, will it?

Honestly, I just need to change the DHCP lease time so it will stop renewing the lease every hour and set it to at least 24 hours, and move the router closer or get an ethernet cable.
  16. DarkStarAnubis

You need to consider a number of different things:

1. Your graphic card has a processor (GPU) and a certain amount of memory (RAM). The RAM will influence the resolution (2K, 4K, ...) and the quality of the textures, the GPU will affect the quality of images in terms of post-processing (Anti-Aliasing, shadows, ...) and the number of frames you can see per seconds (FPS)

2. Your computer has a processor (CPU) and a certain amount of memory (RAM). The amount of RAM of your PC is shared between your game and all the other applications. If you have 8 Gbytes of RAM it should be enough to run pretty much everything. Your processor (CPU) is also responsible for the number of frames you can see per seconds (physics, collision detection, motion, environment, ...) depending on the nature of the game. With PS2, the CPU speed is very important and it will limit the FPS as well.

3. Finally you have an hard-disk or an SSD and that will influence game loading time (e.g. when you fire up PS2) and transitions.

in PS2 FPS is everything because it will affect both weapons true RPM, mouse/keyboard input and processing and network activities. So you need a good processor (CPU) above everything else. You can play with potato graphics (it won't be pretty) but you can't play with a slow processor.
  17. ObiVanuKenobi

4gb RAM is not enough, especially if you're using integrated graphics.
    Adding more will definitely help to get rid of stuttering and drops but it doesn't sound like your laptop is powerful enough for this game, sorry.
  18. Scroffel5

Well my processor is an AMD A6-5200 with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 2.00GHz with an installed RAM of 4, with only 3.47 usable. Will installing more benefit anything, because the minimum requiremenst for memory is 6 GB. Does that mean I should add 8?
  19. Skraggz

You are correct, a VPN will only possibly resolve poor routing of communications. If your modem drops ip to renew it will not help with that. Ok my cable setup I use to force a bogus ip and it solved a few problems while creating more. Have you another modem to borrow to try? Or call ISP and request them test and update your equipment if you rent from them.
  20. Scroffel5

I'm not in charge of the internet. Sucks. If I knew the IP password, then I could fix some of the internet problems, but I don't. C'est la vie.