[Suggestion] Kickstart Planetside 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Toumal, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Toumal

Dear DBG,

I know money is tight right now. But unless you guys plan to slowly disappear like NovaLogic, you need to have a game plan for the future.

Launch a Planetside 3 Kickstarter.

Seriously. You have plenty of great assets in PSA that can be used for a prototype. You have a working engine. You can focus on the metagame instead of the nuts and bolts, since you already have those nuts and bolts. Working warpgates, sanctuaries, vehicle transports, base resources, new gameplay loops and capture mechanics, new base types, weather, new FX, more continents, you name it.

Make a sizzle reel. Start a KS campaign. Set it to 300k or thereabouts.

I can't speak for everyone of course, but I would absolutely support that KS the moment it goes live.
  2. Trigga

Would pledge immediately.
    But, only if they threw everything from PS:A into the bin, i cant stand the direction that game has gone in personaly.
  3. Scroffel5

It would have to be a kickstart aimed toward the public. With DBG's reputation in the PS2 community, why would they fund it? What if it turns out exactly like PS2? That's what most people will think. They need to invest in advertisement.
  4. TR5L4Y3R

F O R G E T I T !!!!

like hell do you realise the scope of work they would have to put in before a kickstarted version would be worth anything?

this is a game that requires LOTS of upfront budget AND money to keep supporting it ... this ain´t 2003 anymore ...
    like how much do you expect the kickstarter to ask for? .... 1.5 million? 2? 3 million? ... that´s NOTHING!

i dare say to get on a level of PS 2 they would need AT LEAST 10 million for the kickstarter alone ..

for refference (even if different genre)
    i donated to the game planetary annihilation which asked for 900.000 dollars to be kickstarted
    it got 2.3 mill in total ... the vanilla game however (without the titans"expansion") opon release is said to have had a developmentcost of 9 million total ... 10 times the asking ammount of the kickstarter ... and it has no story campaign, only a single unitpool, no factions with own unitsets (only inlore factions that worth scrap to the general audience) .. it got a "galactic war" campaign that basicaly is a series of skirmishes with a bit of rougelitestyle gathering tech, you play that once or twice ... and that´s realy it ... and that´s a game made from an indydeveloper (who no longer exists) .. a former dev said to even have been on the save said to offer enough content they would have required a budget around 20 million ! (year 2016) ...
    vanilla supreme commander in 2007 is said have had a cost of around 11 to 12 million ..

now imagine how much money only for development may have went int PS2 up until release ... how much they spend for advertising and events, how much more they may have invested over the years .. in a video from kamikaze i myself mention that if the planetsidefranchise were to be expanded a rts game would have made sense cause they pretty much had the assets for it ..
    they could have made a simple 6 mission campaign for each faction for example while of course focus on the multiplayerside ..

TL: DR making a kickstarter for a PS 3 game for its scope and neccesary minimum budget is just not a good idea ...
    they would still need a publisher and investors, the only thing that would make sense about the kickstarter would be to gauge interest ... but that´s it ..
  5. Pikachu

Fun fact, youtube channel Extra Credits says MMO games cost 60-100 million.

On topic, Cyrious has some interesting thoughts on potential PS3.
  6. pnkdth

Kickstarter is not always used to fund the game but to convince investors there's a market. However, I do not see many investors looking to throw money at this team. They'll need to put together a dedicated AND experienced team + show something worthy of investing in.

Then they need to have a believable goal and tell every single backer who say "LETS ADD MORE STUFF TO THE GAME" to sit down and shut up in a polite manner since "let us add another stretch goal..." is the first sign things are going to go horribly wrong since now the focus start to blur... Now different ideas start to mix and max and before you know it you have a game which is designed by committee rather than a professional design team. Feedback and suggestions are fine but not when you're designing the core of your game. As the saying goes, "if you try and please everyone, you end up pleasing no one."

In other words, I've been burned one too many times by kickstarter campaigns promising "We're going to build something you've never seen before", "this is the most ambitious project yet!" and blah blah blah. The moment I hear this kind of language all I'm hearing "we have no idea what we're doing but we're hoping you'll project your vision to ours and throw money at us!"

In other other words, show me a strong team + strong vision with a detailed plan how to execute + a demo reel (I do not care about something fancy, it is about proof of concept). That way you grow interest and the eyes of investors. Ideas are a dime a dozen, after all. Gotta prove you can do it.
    • Up x 1
  7. DarkStarAnubis

50 people at 150 kUSD (*) per year times 3 years = 22.5 mUSD

(*) not only salary but hw/sw to work and operate, hosting, ... 150 kUSD is rather conservative.
  8. Toumal

Completely agree. That's what they have to do for KS anyway. You need a working prototype in any case. But a visual demonstration of new gameplay elements coupled with some new assets, shaders etc. shouldn't take THAT much effort.

But I think what we'll see is iterative additions to PS2, like the sanctuary and maybe some PSA assets making their way into the game. I sure hope they don't copy/paste the ugly color grading from PSA though.
  9. victusfate

10. Exileant

o_O They should stick with this game, hire some script writers to bring it to life with a story, add a mission mode, cut off the '2' during an update and give it an event name like everyone else is doing. Planetside "AWAKENING" ;) The Graphics are already on point now on the PlayStation side. :) That and a commercial equal a brand new game. N.S. should be like Skynet, a virus of computer players.
  11. PistoleiroMen

12. OneShadowWarrior

They are going to have to dig deep to get a Planetside 3, but it can be a cash cow if they learn from Planetside 1 and 2 and make it better.
  13. adamts01

Why would anyone ever trust Daybreak? Nothing against the Devs, but the people running this company are trash.
  14. ColdBackHAND

Joint Ops
    Joint Ops was cool! Pured many hours into that demo. Put BF 1942 to shame. I think I might be confused. Nova logic was Tribes? To drunk to google.

I can't do kick starters. now if DayBreak is seeking investors, the dumb money, I'd consider .5% stake for 10k, I wont blindly give money away on Kick starter. Enough risk on being the dumb money. I'm passionate about the planetside franchise. Not enough to blindly give away money on Kickstarter.