Platoon leader holding up pop, not helping.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ycluk, Sep 23, 2019.

1. ycluk

Everyone wants play their game, but this is a team game.

If platoon leaders holding up an entire platoon not helping the faction to win event, WHAT THE HELL is the point for them to be leaders ?

It's not the first time, I see PL taking 2 or 3 squads flying way... behind enemy line and completely ignore alerts. Some alerts don't matter much, but territory to lock the continent gives out 250 cert & 300 implant points which is huge especially for new players.

Some online streamers can use their popularity to get players to join them, but completely move the entire platoon to do almost nothing useful for the faction, even after multiple ear full from other squad leaders.

If these so called popular players have no intent to be team players, they should not be allowed to pull so much pop away. Pop is so important for everything in the this game, and what they do almost like help the other factions win.

They should NOT be allowed to do this kind of thing in the game.
    • Up x 1
  2. FLHuk

Fun. If those in that squad/platoon were not having fun they'd have left. Surely?
    • Up x 1
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

I do see your point. I agree that it doesn't help with alerts, especially when 24-48 of that faction's population are being taken by people who don't want to contribute to it. When I see a huge group of players the complete opposite side of the map not helping out, I can get a bit frustrated.

However, we all must bear in mind that PlanetSide 2, is also a sandbox in which we make our own fun. Everyone makes fun in their own way. Those people may not want to join in on playing for the alert, or take bases, or whatever else people deem the thing people 'should' be doing in the game. Despite those times where that population is technically useless to winning an alert, however frustrating it can be to see, it's not as though it happens every day on every single alert. That kind of behaviour is going to happen whether an alert is going on or not.
    • Up x 3
  4. Towie

Agreed. DBG can encourage 'preferred' behavior but at the end of the day, people will do what they want to do - like it or not. It's PS2s greatest strength - and greatest frustration.

As Run DMC would say - it's like that, and that's the way it is.
    • Up x 2
  5. Sindroms

Easy enough, drop a few names of leaders/outfits that cause issues and let players (who care to do so) make a blacklist.
  6. Liewec123

It sucks, but nothing can be done about it other than asking these folks to hold their fun events outside of continent capture alerts
    As you said, most of the alerts are pointless, but the continent cap is a big deal,
    Tons of certs, iso and even special weapons and camos are hidden behind that wall (I really want Showdown),
    people shouldn't sabotage that alert by holding unproductive events during them,
    and let's be honest, they're spaced out enough that there isn't a reason to.

So I'd suggest that people POLITELY ask these leaders/streamers to have their fun events outside of continent lock alerts.
    And hell, if they ignore you and sabotage your alert, you can always go kill them all. ;)
    • Up x 1
  7. BamaRage

This is insanity as no one should disallow such a thing. If you are a PL then call the ball for your platoon but don't expect everyone to do what you do.
    • Up x 2
  8. adamts01

Not really. For example, diga and TWC2 have been doing these nonsense battles and handing alerts to VS on Connery. There's quite a bit of resentment in the ranks but people joined these outfits to work as a team and follow orders, so they often begrudgingly take part. I can appreciate rumble doing something fresh for the game, and it falls in line with my belief that players need to start taking responsibility foyr keeping this game alive, but alerts just aren't the time for shenanigans. Just my 2¢.
    • Up x 1
  9. ycluk

Population is controlled by the game to somewhat balance fairness in each continents because it is pretty much the most important variable to contribute to winning or losing. Although good leadership can compensate somewhat, but it doesn't always happen, and it won't turn a dead horse alive.

When those who occupy a sizable pop and don't even care when other PL ask them for help, they are having their fun on other's pain. It not possible to win the continent all the time, but at least be a team player especially when others ask for help in important event like locking the continent.

This kind of attitude is exactly keep causing some fraction to keep on losing. These people just care about themselves and not others and not helping their fraction at all. These kind of behavior will only cause other players to leave sooner when they keep on seeing their fraction lose.
  10. FLHuk

But again, that's your opinion on what is fun may well be the minority. At least now anyways sadly. I miss teamwork, I really do.

I played in JEST when the SE Indar WG was perm NC. Upon the warpgate rotation change we took to AA camping the hills out side the WG. While this did not directly effect the alerts it did draw VS away from the alerts, for we mostly did it to the VS in the days of them being unbeatable.

It was bloody good fun. It's use in winning the alerts is debatable.

----
    I led a platoon the other day and tried to defend ground, no one cared. I removed those that didn't, I kept trying to make the reasons for delaying the largest threat faction in order to win the alert, no one cared. I tried for over an hour to form a platoon that team worked to no avail. We lost that alert with no good reason for doing so other than zero teamwork.

So in short that kind of attitude is, save for a very limited number of us that remember what PS2 was, is gone.

Finding fun, a farm, trolling, instant death match, subtle cheat using to pad KD is all we seem to have left. Hence my first post. The incentives to play 2013 PS2 are gone....
    • Up x 1
  11. FLHuk

Going to follow this up with a suggestion off the top of my head so as to keep things positive.

Platoons during an alert...
    • Get a bonus to being within x of the front line during an alert.
    • Larger bonus if within x of the front line of the dominating/leading faction during an alert.
    • Receive a minus to that bonus for anyone not within x of the front unless within x time frame have not pulled a relevant resource.
    • A platoon that has capped with more than x of it's members within that hex gets a bonus, more so if an alert objective.
    • Squad leaders that can keep their squads tight receive a squad wide bonus based upon time of cohesion.
    There debate. These thoughts have been brought to you by my mornings use of Diazepam :D
    • Up x 3
  12. Towie

Sadly, i'm going to have to agree for the most part.

On Cobalt, the only faction that has frequent teamwork (IMO) is VS, there's nearly always a TRID or TFDN leader who actually cares. Well - does things like put platoon waypoints and talks !

Personally I don't think the auto-join / auto leader stuff helped. You get people with no idea what to do or how to lead - suddenly building up a squad - and don't even place a squad waypoint let alone talk / organise / transport / do any other 'stuff' you'd expect a leader to do.

(On the subject of fun - I do miss the TTRO Harasser races - totally pointless but always good for a laugh and usually after a decent session of organised gameplay)
  13. FLHuk

The game has done very little over the years to make teamwork a go to, quite the reverse. Don't even get me started on KD becoming a thing when it's so easy to manipulate.

Christ my KD is so utterly skewed by the old Viper C-75 it's laughable. Yet if you have a low KD someone will tell you, at great length, you're not able father children let alone have an opinion.

A score of some sort other than XP/Cert should be based on what you're doing for your squad / platoon and ultimately faction. Rank that and then publicise it, give the best platoon leaders fame. Let the new players see who they need to be hearing and following.

Oh you have a KD of 0.00000000001 yet you're ranked third on faction and sixth on server for faction points. Kudos, can I join your outfit and learn?

----
    Platoon fighting TRID in 2012 > 2015 was SO MUCH BLOODY FUN win or lose. Sure we all hated Choon2 but then he loved that :)

It even went cross faction, TRID helped JEST catch a cheat one time. We were advised of a subtle cheat user in the outfit, we watched, we were helped by TRID to sett up a situation to see and he was caught bang to rights. Teamwork!
    • Up x 1
  14. Towie

Good points on previous post - and - I have a U due to a crazy vkph on the Mana AV turret. None of which has been achieved in the last few years. Anyone remember when you could basically guide it to virtual render distance, hit a target and you were so far away they couldn't even see you ? Oh happy days !

Maybe they should do some stat cleansing...

Must have been around the time of Colbernation ? What a fantastic leader (and guess what - a sub-par k/d and very average SPM).

A great leader makes a massive difference and yet there's virtually no incentive to lead. Sad.
  15. ycluk

If PS2 development is stuck in mentality of bigger version of Counter Strike, it is not worth pay money for it.

PS2 is FPS with war like environment. With war comes tactic and strategy, not just K/D ratio.

This game should have some kind of objectives point. Each member in squad / platoon shall be assigned for some kind of objective and gain objective points which should be the primary measurement how well each does in achieve goal together in a team.

Good point. There should be leadership point or some kind of measurement for rewards for whoever able to lead. Leadership has to do with tactic, strategy, and operation skill, but sadly this game is still in newer version of PS1 which is just bigger version of 16 vs 16 FPS.
  16. Blam320

Funny, I've seen TWC2 actively throw alerts that Connery VS could have won, for a myriad of stupid reasons, but usually it boils down to the platoon leaders are more concerned about farming or steamrolling a lattice uncontested. Rumble is blind, both literally and figuratively to how bad his outfit is.
  17. Johannes Kaiser

Hm, Alerts can also be lost due to people (while at the alert frontline) refuse to leave a stalemate that has been stuck for 90 minutes and then leave it at the "30 min left" mark, dispersing so hard all fronts are pushed back. (Instead of hopping where needed and then rapidly redeploying.)
    But throwing alerts actively by doing stupid sh*it is definitely worse.
  18. TR5L4Y3R

it´s better than nothing, what the game still needs however is a much better tutorial and emphasis on teamplay ..

the problem with leading is a players personality and weither he his willing and capable to take responsibilty on if his choises didn´t work out ..

of course the very least a squadleader can do is to chose a location he wants to attack, but often enough it´s difficult to know when to fall back, when to defend rather than to be aggresive, how to keep your squad together and how to propperly ballance it ...
    just how to lead a bunch of randoms ..

the other problem is certing into apropriate stuff ...
  19. adamts01

Every faction makes bad calls sometimes. But I still think VS generally do everything better. TR usually tries to win alerts, but they just don't have the leadership, skill, or teamwork to get anything done. When it comes to purposefully losing alerts, NC and Dim Giant take the cake, by a VERY large margin. I don't know what that guy's issue is, but it's like he's done with PS2 and is doing his best to kill what's left of this dying game.
  20. Luicanus

It's not about bad calls as such it's about routinely ignoring the fact that there are more important objectives. On Cobalt that takes the form of 66% of both the TR and NC fighting each other (even if they only have a single base conectiong them) while the VS sweep up 60-70% of the map. From my experience this is the case the majority of the time. If you look up the continent lock history for Cobalt VS (as of January 2019) had 55% of locks NC 30% and TR 15%. Id be willing to bet that the majority of the TR and NC locks are overnight where the worst offenders for ignoring the objectives are offline.

Honestly they could mitigate this as a problem by just reverting to the Victory Points system where alerts were only worth 5VP and wouldn't guarantee a winning faction the lock. Indeed under the right circumstances (Warp gating ect.) the alert could be undercut by a sudden win by another faction. Or if VS would win by winning the Alert but NC and TR wouldn't then there were tactical options for people to consider.

Frankly it was a lot better before Hives caused VP to be scrapped. But now Hives are gone too maybe we should agitate for getting VPs back?