Is it sad I kinda like PSA more then PS2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KastianJJ, Sep 24, 2019.

1. KastianJJ

IDK with how planetside 2 is now, there is just so many issues.

1. Weapon bloat

The weapons added to this game just feels like too much, the main reason is there is a lot of faction guns that just act the same with minor tweeks that make them act superior then the other. It feels a lot of guns that trade 5-10 bullets from an LMG for way better hipfire/aim down sight accuracy and faster by 0.5 second reloads are just the better version. Have the same attachments, again it feels like they should've been an singular NS gun (though then they couldn't nickle and dime it from you) A lot of the faction guns are just a mish mash of other faction guns making them not even feel like a "FACTION" gun. It's what made the PS1 factions feel unique is they had that "one" gun that acted different from the NS guns. You could have the basic punisher AR or a fast, big clip fast rof cycler or the smaller clipped harder hitting gauss, or the easily switched no reload needed for AR rounds pulsar. They all traded the utility the punished gave with making excel in other areas.

IN PSA, weapon bloat would be pointless for them to do as it's a waste of time+resources to have 3 versions of the same gun.

2. Combined Failure

Combined arms is an utter failure in Planetside 2, to many of the one man vehicles. Do too much, and infantry has no direct counter. The resources needed to spawn vehicles is gained way to fast that makes losing a vehicle no biggy and in return, and that same infantry has to spend the same resources to take out vehicles or heal himself in combat. The fact everyone is spawning MBT's (1/2) is a big issue and should be why instant quick switching, and reloading while you're not in the seat not a thing. Tanks can be equipped with G2G&I and G2A&I or G2G&I turret that can be quick switched and auto reloaded, usually not needing to crewed as you can just use them while waiting for the other to reload. It becomes really an issue it's better to run 10 people with 1/2 MBT's then 5 2/2 MBT's. While ESF's another single seater can be equiped with G2G&I or G2A&I with G2A or G2G&I armaments, flares, and a jump jet to just **** against any lock on or flak being thrown their way. The second you do any damage they will out run any infantry to just repair itself in 5 seconds to be back on the field. With most fields being barren for cover to C4 and tanks having Radar if you get close they'll just hit S making your whole 30 respawn plan for naut and if you ever hit a lockon rocket on an ESF they will just hit W + shift and turn back to base. or F and be unable to be locked on for a a good few seconds, get kills then do the first option. The only way to deal with an ESF is with it being a hovered ground camper with a tank shell, or another ESF and the only way to kill a tank is to have a tank or ESF chase them down.

Infantry offer really nothing in the ground warfare part outside of bases that current ESF/MBT (1/2)ed cant do already, and also not be susceptible to any punishment of someone running AI MAX AA MAX (for ground vehicle), AV MAX (for air), light or heavy assault.

This is solved in PSA by the ******* DRIVER seat for MBT, the lightning exists to be the 1 person tank, and works as one because it can only pick a single role. If it's good against Infantry, it's susceptible to G2G or A2G, if it goes anti air it's bad against G2G and G2I, if it focus on G2G it has the major issue of G2I (which wont catch up if they try to chase) or A2G. You further the strengths of having one role and suffer in other fields.

Also since there is no one to repair, damage adds up to the vehicle makes playing safe important from the get go and think out aggressive plans. ESF's should just have afterburners un-available if they take them out of their second slot. Want to run AG+I gun + Anti air missiles, go ahead now you can't run and dodge lock ons or air with after burners. Want AA + AG&I, go right ahead but now Air with afterburners can hit and run you and chase you.

(Also having actual rockets that accelerate would be nice instead of the current ones that use the future molasses speed rockets that barely hurt armor)

MBT having a driver seat, and quick switching being removed would get rid of the stupidity of not needing full crewed vehicles

3. Infantry is just not fun til it's a purely infantry vs infantry situation.

You have Air knights who feel cool for being good at air, you've got tank formations... and infantry has running around like a headless chicken not doing much of anything but C4ing noob tanks with no situational awareness, and prob dying 30 times trying to do it.

Our Ground 2 Air power is next to none and can be avoided by a shift or an F

Our Ground 2 Ground power is stopped by rocks and smokes, (which they can see through) and you cant with your anti-vehicle weaponry

Infantry vs Infantry is fun til it's unbalanced and all skill goes out the window because it's 100 vs 20 and now you're getting spawned camped. (I guess the only fix for this is severely penalize EXP for imbalance in an area?)

So PSA has combined arms, ground + infantry, and the ground vehicles require people playing together!?!
    • Up x 3
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

It's your opinion, not a popular opinion but if you like Arena good for you.

I don't like it because the gameplay just doesn't feel as fun as Planetside 2.
    You have less playstyles, no real vehicle combat, no aircraft which are probably the most fun thing in the game once you learn how to fly. Only 1 life = everyone plays passive = boring.
    It's just like any other Battle royale, you run around and loot for 20 minutes, maybe fight 4-5 people and that's it.
    • Up x 2
  3. Lalatina

Forgot to include: carton graphics and third person.
    In my serious opinion much better they focus on optimization and put the battle royale in planetside 2 on a different server, there are even several maps and weapons available in PS2 - but it's too late ... sy my english
    • Up x 1
  4. TR5L4Y3R

mbts require 2 man for full capacity ..

lightnings are the only oneman groundvihicleoptions were flashes and mbts allow the driver to use a weapon .. every other vehicle has a dedicated driver that needs to switch seats in order to use a weapon ..

lightnings imo aren´t THAT common .. people often go for mbts cause of them getting a gunner along with a ability the lightning lacks ..
    i do agree though that infantry lacks a good counter for both antivehicle and antiair

the mbt for PS 2 however imo in its general setup can stay the way it is .. infantry just needs better tools for ranged AV and AA of which i suggested varius options over varius threads (AV grenades and mines for more classes (not all though) via certs or asp, rockletrifle for infil and medic and/or dedicated AV grenadelauncher primary for medic, maxes needing to be more survivable against vehicles to support a squad .. nanitecosting but more powerfull launchers than the HA default launcher has been suggested as well) .. at best some of the vehicle AV/AA options (particularly the high alpha ones) could be slightly less potent against infantry ..

zerging is simply a thing in this game .. it´s supposed to feature large battles over many mapsections and cause of its nature and how players tend to go the way of least resistance you will have unballanced fights ..
    exppenalties won´t do a thing ... at best a higher nanitegeneration could help the weaker side as they get access to forcemultiplyers like maxxes or c4 quicker ..
    • Up x 1
  5. OneShadowWarrior

it's sad you even like Arena, it's Dead on Arrival, DOA.
    • Up x 1
  6. pnkdth

What really is surprising is just how many PS2 players seem to think PS:A is made for them.

Also, no, it is not sad to find enjoyment in a game.
    • Up x 6
  7. chamks

why is it so sad? its not. there is no parameter for "sad" or "good" for different opinions. your sad to think that way
    • Up x 1
  8. Pikachu

This so much. You see lots of steam reviews saying things like "crap game, nothing like PS2". Duh it was never meant to be.
    • Up x 4
  9. TR5L4Y3R

of course they think that ... they get all pi ssy for DBG spending resources to any other project but those players favorite .. can´t argue with hardcorefanbois .. .. how dare DBG provides other groups of players a different game experience ...

why not add BR as a PS 2 mode? i think it would mess with this game´s playerbase, splitt it and worst take players that may have otherwise been in the factionplay .. even then those same players that s hit on PS:A would have just s hit on the BR mode anyway .. i mean again you can´t argue with the stubornity of some people ..
    • Up x 1
  10. KastianJJ

IMO they should've added it to PS2 just as a mode, to unlock certs (but that would be bad for business). IDK I feel the issue in planetside 2 is vehicles have pretty much gotten to the point where infantry really can't re-act and are better going after another infantry. Going after them is pointless since the map isn't big enough and they'll be back in 1 minute in the same thing killing you prob 30 times over unless you're just a bunch of cloaked infil with Xplosive X-bow which seems to be the best vehicle killer.

Classes have kinda had team work required reduced with implants. Weapons feel bloated to nickle and dime the community.

To the guy saying you need 2 in an MBT, try running HE -> Anti tank launcher ontop and watch as they reload while they're not in the vehicle. Can still also just easily as camp infantry in a 1/2 MBT. But tanks have to be bulky since there is so much AV now, and AV is mostly free (and has to be ****** because it's free, and no penalty really to going AV. It just feels that PSA ignoring the BR is closer to PS1 in ideology then PS2. Focus on team members, flanking, and strategy.
  11. Cyropaedia

I am glad there is an infantry-centric avenue in Planetside Arena for critics of vehicles in Planetside 2. The Combined Arms "unbalance" debate can literally be tested/silenced.

However, the fact that the OP makes the effort to vocalize his criticisms on Planetside 2 forums suggests something about Planetside Arena and/or the OP.
  12. Campagne

PS2 and PS:A both with and without vehicle cannot compare. They are not the same games and do not play in the same ways. It's wrong to draw any false conclusions by comparing apples to oranges.

I think the only thing we can guess about the OP is that he might not know there is a PS:A forum too.
    • Up x 1
  13. Johannes Kaiser

The mention of lacking AV and AA capabilities for Infantry is interesting, because once upon a time the lock-on rocket launchers at least provided suitable AA capabilities. Now, I don't remember the exact damage and everything, but it took about 2.5 shots against an ESF, whereas now after 3 the thing is barely smoking.
    Infantry AV was always kinda meh.
  14. TR5L4Y3R

nah 3 lockons kill any esf ... before i think 2 were enough .. but also differently to before you have more ammo for albeit less potent missiles .. that still isn´t the problem cause lockons are only accessible to heavy assaults ... what do the other nonmax infantry classes have?

engineer turrets? can´t pitch up enough

archer? you will die 3 times minimum before you get to plink a esf to death ..

light assault rockletrifle needs to be upclose to unload the whole mag and still needs more than 2 magdumps, otherwise see archer .. at best a combo of 3 single shots with a magdumb of the remaining 3 missiles (for accuracy) may help scare a esf away doing similar ammount of damage as one lockonmissile ..

medic and infil are totaly unable to defend themselves or provide any AA/AV ... crossbow with explosives? with that projectiledrop? see archer ..

fact is .. no matter the platform you need at least 2 or 3 antiairsources to somewhat be able to down a esf in a fair ammount of time .. 4 sources should definetively kill it unless it flys away ..
  15. Johannes Kaiser

True. Honestly I liked the old rocket launchers better. They had more impact and they made Engies more important to Heavies. And I have poured around 4 lock-ons into an ESF before, one after another, it was still good to go. This way air is just not punished by engaging groups of infantry, because they can do so little against it.
  16. FLHuk

Sorry if it's already been posted but this just sums it up perfectly for me.

• Up x 2
  17. TRspy007

I miss Yamiks. His planetside 2 videos were always so funny.

Planetside arena has some things that Planetside 2 could use I guess, but nothing major. I do find that they took more time doing certain details, but then the cartoony look of characters and third person view kills it. Then there's the cash grab as mentioned.

There's no need for 3 man MBTs, it's already chaotic enough as it is, imagine if it took three people to man a tank. Besides no solo MBT is hard to kill. Overall just a ****** br DOA.
  18. TR5L4Y3R

it would have just split the playerbase and at worst taken players that rather might have been in the core mode of this game
    especialy considering players that only have one character, or multiple characters across servers instead of having multiple characters on one server where imo you can be the most flexible ..
    what ps 2 could do theoretically in that regard is to allow players to go from server to server as neccesary, but that´s might be rather something to happen by the end of this game´s lifespan if at all ..

doesn´t change that a additional BR mode would impact the game negatively imo .. like ok cool you MAY get more players intrested in BR ... but that´s it .. they might not be likely to play the core dominationstylemode ..
  19. TR5L4Y3R

aside from the lootboxsh ite the video pretty much mentions what i would be concerned about a legit PS3 sequel ..
    you will more than likely get it in a early access state with lots of stuff missing before that game would get in a satisfying state ..
    heck PS2 is still lacking in content, options and ballance for my taste ..
    it´s pretty much with civilisation sequels were the next sequel even if good on its own (civ 6 surely was for me) will still lack content a prequel already had especialy with all the expansions that came with it afterwards ... a f2p game like planetside is no different in that ... heck it´s true for almost all f2p (and Early access) games were the starting releaseversion will feel barebones and has to build up itself over time ..
    this is what makes the reviewscoreaverage on steam all the more dubious aside from it being obviously mostly reviewbombing from planetside 1 and 2 fanbois ...

while it´s not much of an excuse (cause a product has to deliver in some way anyway) i wonder if people actualy understand the issues and challanges a F2P/early access game has to go through vs a more or less content"rich" and done P(once)2P game .. not to mention that PS:A is in EA so of course it will lack content suppose to be for a actual releasestate ..
    though one thing that suprised me is that PS:A is actualy F2P .. at least at the moment ... wasn´t it supposed to be P(once)2P or did the devs mention that they changed that?
  20. Demigan

Your idea of combined arms... Putting more people in a gunseat does not mean "combined arms". Combined arms is the combination of two or more arms, like tanks and aircraft, that when combined are stronger than the sum of their parts. Since PS2 does not have much in the way of guiding another arm, like being able to use a Q-radial menu to make it easier for aircraft to find and bomb a specific target, actual combined arms is very small in the game.
    As a form of teamwork putting more people in a gunseat is still barely any teamwork. Just having someone in your gunseat does not mean you are working together, often it's even just that the person in the gunseat uses you as a mobile turret. If the tank was autonomous and just drove that person around he wouldn't even change anything to his playstyle. So there isn't necessarily any extra teamwork gained by seperating the driver seat and the main gun seat.

The problem of tanks being very powerful compared to infantry is something I've covered a lot already, and the solution is to give infantry things like resource-costing utilities other than C4 to combat vehicles. From non-lethal items like obscuring fields (now in PSA instead of PS2 even though I've been proposing it for 2+years now for PS2) to semi-lethal weapons (things that cause a small concussion effect, can be lethal against aircraft) to lethal (LAW's, AV grenade launchers, flamethrower-like plasma launchers etc). This could then be upped to such a lethal level that there is no reason not to give tanks things like co-ax guns and such. The goal would be to make infantry vs tanks such a lethal fight for both sides that you don't have to segregate them anymore at bases with walls and such.