Problems with auto-join squads. REEEEE

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fisheyed, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Fisheyed

Players should only be auto-joined to squads with high cohesion.

The system before, used to be that a proactive squad-leader would have to type in region / yell chat or run around pressing Q on you and invite you to their squad.
    The players who ran around doing this, actually led the squads -
    They also cared about getting replacement leadership when they had to go.

The current system, people login, get auto joined to a squad.
    The players are playing in silent with no voice-chat, no leadership and are scattered around the map.
    The players who are looking for squad-play or are in outfits leave these squads and head to the squad browser.
    Meaning that the players who don't leave or have not disabled it in their config are auto-joined to useless squads where there is no squad-play and they are stockpiled there in the masses.

Not only do the players in these squads get a worse gameplay experience.
    Players who are leading squads cannot press q and invite people to their squad because they are already in these squads. You then have to stop gameplay to type to explain to them how to leave their squad... And you have to do this FOR EVERY PLAYER.

Several times i'm in a tank and I can't invite other tanks who are next to me beacuse they are already in one of these useless squads.
    Some people used to lead these 3 or 4 unit armor squads.

The point is - there are squad leaders who aren't leading squads because they are cucked out of squad members.
    So they just join their friends' squads.
    Then when you look at the recruitment page, 90% of the squads recruiting have low cohesion. You'll get maybe 3-4 high cohesion with 1/12 or 2/12 members, but people don't want to join those. They might just have the high cohesion because there is a low member count. And then if you're lucky there will be space in one of the cohesive ones when you log-in and you can join them.
    After 10 minutes, I managed to join a medium 11/12 yesterday.

I missed a point - the squad leaders in these uncohesive squads don't want to squad lead... If they wanted to they would. Often, they end up in the position through the old leader disconnecting or logging out - and then the next guy says I don't want squad lead, leaves the squad, and it gets passed around till the person doesn't care enough or realise to pass it to someeone else.

So solutions.
    I am thinking
    1. Squad leader must tick a box that says accept players with auto-join. And when the squad leader changes, the box must be re-ticked. That way the squads with no squad leader stop getting people.
    2. Only auto-join people to high cohesion squads. If the squad cohesion starts dropping.. stop sending people to it.
    3. Remove auto-join to squads by default. - The way it was before. Squad leaders must be pro-active in their Q mashing.
    4. A Low cohesion check - if the squad has low cohesion for 1 hour, prompt the squad leader that he doesn't have to squad lead or can disband / join another squad - through a notification. - or maybe prompt when a continent is locked.
    when a continent is locked, that's often when people logout / reset and when the squad leader most likely will transition to someone who doesn't want it.

There are probably other better solutions;
    but I think you need to
    A. - Prevent them from occuring.
    B. - Not make the problem worse by sending everyone logging in, into them.
  2. Fisheyed

3. SteelMantis

I'm not sure there is a problem here.

There are a lot of Low Cohesion squads because people want to play in them. The screen shot you posted has 5 people in high cohesion squads, 5 people in a medium squad and a whopping 47 people in low squads. More people are making low cohesion squads, more people are joining them and more people are staying in them if they are randomly added when joining.

A lot of your suggestions seem based on high cohesion being better than low/med somehow when actually they seem like the least popular option.
  4. Fisheyed

I later ran a squad in cunieformen's platoon. I'm saying that there's a demand for it, but the supply is cucked - so when you login, your options are limited to join the medium 5/12 which is 3 people in one hex and 2 people spread out, the high, which were 2 people in one hex or the lows.
    : IE. There isn't a single cohesive squad you can join. -which is a problem that auto-join causes imo.

The sentiment was shared by 2 others in command chat when cunieformen wanted to disband.

If low cohesion squads are truly what people prefer, then people will still click to join them when they see that high cohesion squads are available. - How you can believe that this is the popular option, I don't understand.

PS. the number of low cohesive squads gets worse when you join the platoons, or auto-join into a squad that isn't recruiting.
    Our fraction couldn't defend Ymir Biolab, EchoValley, Andvari Biolab - because we didn't have a single cohesive squad to defend - so we automatically lost.