TR ammo boxes way to small for their output

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Sep 3, 2019.

1. OneShadowWarrior

I’ll grab a EM1 or EM6 and slap on extended mags and have 200 rounds and with their damage output, be in a good spot.

Vanu have some ammoless weapons.

TR? Even the Butcher tops off at 150 shots, but even worst are guns like the Watchman. Not only are their magazine sizes to small for their output but most of all it’s the ammo boxes, in big fights the TR will always fold, because they are non-sustainable with such low capacity for a high output.

Lastly, weapons like the minigun and Vulcan just need more beef, I am not saying they need to be stronger, just better cosmetics and sound, instead of sounding like a lawnmower.
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

Actual gatling weapons tend to have a rather flat firing sound in real life due to their rate of fire. Our is also a little muted, not only because of the rate of fire difference, but because otherwise the sound would be drowning. I appreciate that the T7 and the G30 have a bit more depth to their firing sound effects.

In any case, please pick:

To me, the only ones that don't sound like lawnmowers don't sound like gatling guns.
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

If I recall, on PTS some time back, DGC were experimenting with a TF2-style Butcher, where it had 500 rounds in the mag and that was it; no reserve, to allow for continuous fire. However, I think it was met with complications and they had to do away with it.
  4. FateJH

If I recall, one of the main complications was that the maximum ammo pool indicates the ability to reload. No ammo pool, no reloading, only resupply at a terminal. That doesn't sound completely on the level, personally, but I may be underappreciating how hard wired reload mechanics are.
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

Seriously, as someone who mostly uses non-LMG weapons how can you even BEGIN to think that LMG's have too little ammo? Even the 50 ammo per magazine one's have more than enough unless you either are terrible or engage an entire room and expect to survive long enough to run out. And the 50 ammo versions are few and far inbetween. Complaining about the 150 ammo LMG's is pretty lame.
  6. DarkStarAnubis

There is some (a little bit) truth IMHO.

As LA you can find a place or time to reload your carbine but if you are good HA you are always very close to the front line exchanging shots with the enemy and you do not find easily a long enough time window to reload.

So LMGs walk a thin line in terms of balance of characteristics (RoF versus precision versus magazine size versus reload time versus damage model).

Watchman and the Carv have large magazines, but are plagued by long reloads. The Watchman has a 5.525 short reload and a painful 7 seconds long reload. It is atrocious. Conversely, small magazine weapons such as the T-32 Bull and the MSW-R have snappy reload times.

The Watchman is a kind of corner case because it has a beefy magazine (rounds: 125 or 100 if you use IA) but it evaporates quickly with its RoF and you need to score an huge number of hits to kill an enemy due to its damage model.

On top, the high RoF of the Watchman is affected by low frame-rate, which normally appears in CQC situations with lots of noise (sound itself affects frame-rate by eating part of the processing bandwidth) and enemies around, the environment in which you use the Watchman.

However, adding more rounds wouldn't solve its design problem.
  7. OgreMarkX

When asked for comment, DBG team members Wrel and Drew stopped playing their VS characters for a moment and said: T..... R... ? Ter? T uuhhh what?

Then they went back to their VS characters.

Drew said, "Check it out Wrel, I have my outfit glitched into an enemy spawn room, omg gamer gods!"

Wrel, however, couldn't hear Drew over the sound of his VS LMG with unlimited ammo.
  8. Lucky_Joel

I find it more hilarious that TR are suppose to boast about having better general accuracy, faster rate of fire and magazine capacity but I ain't seeing any of that, or at least feeling it... Anything to help with high sustainable damage. Yet the VS and NC are proving to have better toys. It kind of defeats the purpose when the faction you play as doesn't have anything unique beyond a Heavy Weapon and its a real damn shame too. I like the TR weapons but they fail to compete in damage and accuracy against even the VS which from statistically, they are better. While NC just has the capacity and accuracy somehow on top of their naturally better damaging weapons.

Just a piss poor balance of weapons here. Reminds me of that extreme internal struggle of Blizzard's WoW trying to balance yet it was just some dev guy wanting to keep his class better than the rest... I'm sure I'm just exaggerating this to the ground but it kind of sucks when each faction has a good half of their armory being just about the same as another faction's weapons but with better stats, it isn't really fair at that point. I mean, I could drop being TR for NC but I'm already invested deep because of my battle rank, which is another thing to crap on about but that's another topic for another time.
  9. Campagne

The Rhino (EM1 equivalent) and Carv-S both have the same 200-round extended magazine.

This message has been brought to you in part by: Unsubstantiated Claims! For when general ignorance is all you need.

The VS are supposed to be the accurate faction, which they are. However higher RoF weapons (such as almost all of the TR's) are generally more accurate when firing over time or in bursts longer than two rounds compared to lower RoF weapons. The TR also have a universal magazine advantage in their carbines and assault rifles and tend to have these advantages in other weapon types as well, whereas the VS are standard and the NC have smaller magazines where not standard. High RoF weapons (again the majority of the TR's arsenal) have higher DPS weapons than lower RoF weapons.

The NC's high damage weapons have lower capacity and worse accuracy in all conditions with the sole exception firing while stationary. You're making objective claims that are measurably false. This would take all of a few short minutes to read before posting, you're basing these claims solely upon your own bias.

I recommend that you do drop the TR for the NC, if only to shed some light on the reality of it.
  10. OneShadowWarrior

I was actually not wanting bigger ammo clips, just more ammo boxes. I play all 3 factions and well aware of all the weapons.

The rounds that you have in reserve are to small and need to be increased by at least 20-30%.