All day 3 way

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Smoke potion, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Smoke potion

New player here. And I just wanted to point out something that might just be making people quit. I was playing earlier and the facility i jumped to was in the middle of a three way battle. VS (my faction) was defending against the other two. No biggy. i play for a couple hours and log.

I come back a couple hours later to find my faction at a different base, but still defending agianst the other 2 factions. This time I play for about an hour and log, feeling kinda bad since it was just overwhelming numbers. then a couple hours later (about an hour-ish ago) I logged back on, and we were at yet another base, befending agianst both the other factions again.

This time I took a look at the outfit tags, and saw some people from So-and-soTR then i saw an NC from So-and-so-NC. And I realized that it was one outfit mobalizing 2 factions against one, using out of game comms. I logged out immediately and debated uninstalling the game.
  2. Demigan

Ok so let's look at this "problem".

Imagine if these were all players from one outfit, but spread across two factions. Would it have mattered if they instead had been playing all on one faction and zerged your team?

Also considering that upon capture of the base one of the TR or NC factions could no longer attack the next base and capture it the attack would peter out. What's more is that forces not on the side of the outfit would cause casualties among the "allies" on the other faction, meaning you are much more effective when you stick the entire outfit on a single faction. So either you managed to hold the base and there was much more attacking going on between the two other factions than you realize, or these zergfitters did something that wasn't half as effecient as it could have been.

My suggestion to you: Look at the map, the entire map. Look at how many fights there are across all 3 factions, look at where else your faction is fighting. Especially in the beginning it's important that you seek fights that you enjoy. When you get better at recognizing how a fight is going you can start fighting more elaborate or difficult fights, but until then you can say "screw my faction I'm here to have fun and accidentally learn the game if I can". We would all prefer someone who is picky about his fights early on and sticks around than someone who disappears completely.
  3. AlcyoneSerene

So a sandbox game that allows players to plan and strategize however they wish, including more unconventional methods, is not your thing. Okay.

I happen to enjoy the freedom and chaotic nature of it as it contrasts other games where one is forced into specific roles, at specific waypoints, fighting specific ranks, over and over again.
  4. FateJH

What? you're not going to have fun playing the game and would rather do a table flip about something that doesn't matter at the end of the day? From what it sounds like, you and your faction were doing fine regardless. You didn't actually complain about any specific instances.

To be fair, it truly is not in proper faction characterization and, if you are a new player, it's probably your first time seeing it. Also, to be fair, not everyone cares about passive roleplay like that. The best is to not get hung up over it and just roll with the insanity because you're only at the top of the hill.
  5. Smoke potion

I love how no one thinks it's a problem to organize 2 factions against 1. Yeah, definately not a game for me. I will be uninstalling. thanks for the heads up about how the community thinks.
  6. ObiVanuKenobi

There's more than 1 base you know...
    Press U and spawn at a different fight. Very simple.
    You saw "an" NC? 1 guy? Doesn't sound like a coordinated thing. Many players have characters on all 3 factions.

But if that's all it takes to upset you then this game or maybe even any multiplayer pvp game isn't for you.
  7. ReeferBOT

Nobody is organizing two factions against one except for the game itself. It just happens.

If anyone were attacking a base with two factions working together they would in effect be fighting three factions at the same time. So you would be at the advantage just fighting two.
  8. Cest7

Lattice pigeon holing the fights really killed the game
    • Up x 1
  9. AllRoundGoodGuy

Being in this position I first need to applaud your teammates, from the sound of it they managed to 1v2 for several hours, so props to them. However, I can see how wouldn't be fun for some players. The key in this game is to make your own fun. This is a sandbox game, you can play how you want. Some people find it fun to play against the odds (myself included, more people to shoot at :D) while others prefer to go along with the zerg. I would advise basically what @Demigan said, take a look at the map, see what fights are going on, and join accordingly.

At the end of the day, what do you think that can be done to prevent players from using out of game comms to work together? As said before, people can do what they want in this game, and there isn't a whole lot to prevent it. I would also add that in my time of playing I have not see very much if at all of purposeful coordination of 2v1'ing. Alright, there was one summer where the vs/tr ganged up on the nc. That was fun times.
    • Up x 1
  10. Daftdrew

One of the best things about planetside 2 is the meta involved. Yes there will 2 on 1 or a wild three way with everyone vs everyone it's just how it is. Please do not leave the game because you have experienced this, there are many times you will on the opposite side of this and basking in the glory. Planetside players are a pretty hardy bunch and we tend to not let getting teamed up on sway our gall. Way back when I started planetside many years ago, we didn't have the lattice system and it was interesting planning with your outfit to ghostcap and try to push enemy sectors deep in enemy space. It's something I miss from the lattice system introduction. I kinda wish we could have maps that alternate with and without lattice, login with indar and no lattice playing then next day its indar with lattice.

Anyway please do not give up. It's a fun game with a fun community if you choose to be a part of it.
  11. Towie

The best thing about PS2 is that people can do exactly what they want.

The worst thing about PS2 is that they often do.

(...regardless of 'fair')
    • Up x 1
  12. Johannes Kaiser

Oh, I had a fun moment when a Miller TR outfit changed to their VS twinks to attack NC bases that they as TR could not reach (opposite side of the continent and all that) in order to try and win the continent lock alert.
    They did not succeed.
    Another thing I often witnessed on that server: several huge >48 players a side fights between NC and the other factions, but VS and TR only had 2 fights going on between one another with ~5 people a side on each. The game map doesn't lie, and that is collaboration, plain and simple. Has become less common in recent times by my estimate, so that's good.

So in a nutshell: Playing 1v1v1 is alright, can be fun. Playing 1v2 is not okay, I vaguely remember that the official game rules forbid factions actively joining forces, no matter which form that may take.
    Ironically, a friend of mine once reported 2 outfits from different factions fighting literally side by side, supported with a screenshot series. He was told by support to shut up with his fraudulent allegations. That was several years ago, no idea how the current support would handle that.