[Suggestion] Most don't even know Planetside 2 exists - lack of video advertisements

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Aug 26, 2019.

1. karlooo

This is a very interesting and old trailer. Even though it's from 2012 it still got me hyped.
    I like it how he called the Heavy Assault a Shock Troop. Even though I absolutely hate the heavy assault, I want to play it now! I want to be a shock troop :). The Heavy assault makes more sense now.
    What this game needs is more official footage explaining and showing off the game.

A lot of things do not make sense to new players like: 'why do I have to shoot targets 7 times and they kill me with 2 hits?', 'What the hell is C4?', 'what's the objective?'...etc.

And the person who could have been doing this all this time was Wrel...
    This is something I don't really understand. Wrel is best known for being a content creator/streamer, not the game designer.
    He got a big Youtube channel but why didn't he use his video editing skills to create exciting PS2 footage and improve his videos over time, instead of going for the game designer role which brought nothing pretty much. Some people liked the updates, some people hated the updates...the changes brought nothing.
    In my opinion if he sticked to what he does best, it would have been very beneficial for this game.

Currently there is a lot of crap in the game, everything unexplained. If Wrel would have focused more on content creation it all could have been explained.
    Not only tutorials...this game has a big community, there could be top replays of the week included, there could be trailers, entertain the ppl....this would have brought so much.
    • Up x 1
  2. onishikawa

More suggestions:

Mentor's Award (example: experience boost, title, etc) for exiting player inviting new PS2 player.

Both char receive a item code when new player reach to level 10..20..30...

That may help old players invite more friends to PS2 also sharing to some country which do not have PS2 advertisements.
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

Advertisement comes in many forms. A game that has a small budget compared to others, isn't going to want to spend a bunch of money on advertising when they can get it done for free by its playerbase. During the time of SOE, they already did paid advertisement, even going as far as to making an absolutely amazing cinematic trailer which I still use to show off the game to friends.

There's a ton of free advertising content done by players, hundreds of videos on YT showing what it's all about. Why pay for advertising when you can get it done for free using word of mouth and social media platforms? Putting aside PS2 for a moment, remember that as with many games, they need to be for profit, or they can't continue to develop the game, this means finding the cheapest paths wherever possible, advertising methods included.

I completely agree that the game is poorly explained. I remember back when I first started playing, I thought Sunderer's could instantly deploy wherever I wanted. Me being a support-type player, I whipped one out and started driving to battle, only to find that jamming my Deploy button had no effect. I didn't know back then you had to buy the AMS module. There was no explanation as to what it was or where to get it. Hell, back then trying to even find the cert tree option for it was confusing as a new player.

While the new player experience has had a lot of improvements, it still has a long way to go. That's not to say that they're not continually experimenting (Koltyr for example) and trying to improve it, but these things take time and money. Things like the Mission system was poorly implemented, with only phase 1 being added. I have no idea what happened to phase 2 unless it was repurposed and I've overlooked it. Sure, the system helps new players identify where to take an objective such as a point or to overload a shield, but the problem is that the game doesn't show new players how to stay alive, which is this game's biggest problem. It relies upon that free advertisement on YouTube. However, the platform is oversaturated with Do's and Don'ts, new players can become easily overwhelmed with what to believe or where to start as is.

In relation to Wrel. Yes, he was a content creator and streamer, but when you're presented with the option to produce free content for the game you love, or get paid to make content for the game you love, which would you choose? Yes, he doesn't produce any more content, but he is a human being and he does need to eat, sleep, take big stinking dumps, and spend time with his child. He has a life outside of being a game designer and an employee. His time is valuable, and I think when presented with the option to produce content he won't get paid for (YT videos and streaming gameplay), and produce content he will get paid for, I'm quite sure he'll choose the paid option over not getting remunerated for his time and effort.

Also, Wrel did technically do videos for the game. Before he was hired, he was contracted to remake many of the player training videos for the game.
  4. karlooo

Oh btw I call Youtube content an advertisement lol.
    What's missing is official youtube content. Excluding the official streams because they're trash, they're all unprepared, chaotic, and often they don't fully explain the updates.
  5. karlooo

I'm not saying he should lose his job. Creating video content should be part of the job. Which btw will also help him balance the game, it will force him to play something he doesn't even want to.
    So instead of wasting time on some water gun (I have no idea what he does), he makes a video! :) Much more beneficial. It will make the community understand the updates too.
  6. ZDarkShadowsZ

Of course not, but what I'm trying to say is, he can either do one job, or the other. He can either create content as part of a design team, or he can create content as part of a video editing team, but not both. When Wrel was employed, he was part of a design team, but now, more recently, he's the lead designer of that team. His time is even more limited because he not only manages his personal life, his job as a designer, but a team of other designers as well.

The only time he could possibly create more videos for the game is in his spare time, or if he's willing to put in extra hours. By fact he hasn't pushed out a video since November 2017 tells me he either doesn't want to, or lacks the time to do so. In instances like this, it is better to contract someone out to do it, like DGC did with him initially, rather than pile on an even bigger workload than he already likely has.