Planned Death Camera

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GeneralPrime_PT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. awzaq

I'm fine with the deathcam if they limit it for actual gunfights where you got a few shots on the oponent or he was spotted, otherwise I won't like it.
  2. LurkingHorror

In all those year, when pilots complained about getting shot down by tanks and dumbfires, what did they get told ?

Don't hover, move!

In all those years, when tankers complained about getting c4ed, what did they get told ?

Don't just camp, move!

In all those years, when regular infantry complained about getting sniped, what did they get told ?

Don't stand around, alway keep moving, preferably in unpretictable patterns.

Yet after all those years, there are still players that seem to think this should only ever apply to everyone else, but certainly not to them ?

I mean, of all classes, snipers, taking exception to being required to move, how hillarious is that ?

Sorry, but I really can't see the harm in deathcam encouraging players to turn into better players, by giving yet another among many already existing good reasons to not stay in one place for too long.
    • Up x 4
  3. Liewec123

Hugely different...
    When i'm sitting above a doorway at the cap point with minor cloak, defending it solo from several people,
    THEY DO NOT KNOW WHERE I AM.

This is'nt like some idiot hovering in an ESF or some motionless mbt in the thick of battle, they are doing it wrong.
    This is a situation were I am currently doing the job of point holding extremely well,

This is'not move because there are bullets coming at you, it's "move because we've let the enemy know exactly where you are."
    • Up x 2
  4. then00b

So when you're on the point to defend it, it will give you away that you're on the point defending it? Also your implants are already shown on the death card.
  5. Pelojian

if you are using trickery to defend the point (sitting on doorframes as a light assualt, standing on a pile of crates etc)
    it will show the enemy where you are, nullifying the thought you put into it.

the one direction people pay the least attention to, is above
  6. IVANPIDORVAN

Death camera for bads who find excuses by calling everyone who kill them a hacker.

Just. Get. Gud.
  7. Who Garou

This is a standard in some FPS that I have played.
    I'm assuming they are doing to help decrease the harshness of the game to new players.

This takes away from being sneaky and firing from a good position. If the mini map is only going to give you a general idea where the fire came from, why would it be a good idea to show exactly where your killer is located?
    If someone gets into a good position, then let them benefit from it and don't give away that advantage.

The only think I could see that would be helpful for this would be for possibly catching hackers, but I'm guessing you would have to be pretty quick to get a screen capture of the shot of the enemy's location.

If there is any kind of player "vote" on this - I'm against it.
    I generally have a pretty good idea where the death-shot came from on the mini-map already
  8. Who Garou

Huh? The death cam will apparently show you exactly where the killer is located even if they are an infiltrator ... if I'm reading the letter correctly.

Once you get in the general area of an infiltartor you can generally see a cloak shimmer ... espeically with a dark light!
  9. AlcyoneSerene

Sadly even that purpose for death cam will fail, since subtle cheaters can and do stream their own gameplay live just fine. I know of only one example of such a cheater accidentally revealing the script they were using in the background by alt-tabbing.

I also fear what tools this death cam will provide to cheaters to exploit, such as ESP/wallhacks.

As someone pointed out earlier, the death cam won't show a replay, and it is not immune to clientside network interpretation so if anything I believe it'll increase frustration.

Players will also adjust their playstyle accordingly. If say sniping becomes much more difficult, having every LA in an enemy squad flank you on your first kill, I would take more opportunity to snipe by redeploying or switching strategy more often, resulting in the same thing, or compensate by pulling out more farming equipment like A2infantry, AI Max, etc.
  10. JibbaJabba

Some people just don't want to see dem teabags I guess. Well, you're gonna... :D
  11. AllRoundGoodGuy

You can't get spotted if you don't kill anybody.
  12. Liewec123

But then the moment that I do kill someone the location is useless, while currently I can defend quite well up there!

The only people who want a 'here is the exact location of the person who killed you" cam, are bads.
    It ruins any flanking or sneaking playstyles, it doesn't affect front-on zerglings though,
    since it doesn't matter to them if you see that they are in front of you,
    But for anyone trying to flank or sneak, or took the time to get to a clever spot, this sucks.
  13. pnkdth

[IMG]

Some people understand there are multiple perspectives while others double down to the point where they drop the most convincing argument of all time "if you don't agree with me you are bad." Bravo.
  14. LurkingHorror

Doing your job well ... well, so is the esf pilot hovering above a battlefield for some precision shots to finish off a valuable target. So is the tanker sitting on a hill shelling away at groups of infantry, keeping them from reaching their objective.

They are doing a good job, right up to the point when they stay in that position too long.

Same as for you cozy hiding place on the doorframe. As soon as the first halfway competent guy you killed is back from the spawn, you're far better of somewhere else, and be it only on top of a different doorframe. There's always more than one place to hide, so why insist on being able to remain a one trick pony ?
  15. GeneralPrime_PT

just spent some time on the test server. that camera is bad
  16. UberNoob1337101

I agree and disagree with both sides in this, but some play-styles and gear is literally most/only viable when used in a campy way.

If you want to, show me ultra-aggressive Minor Cloak/Stalker cloak -oh wait, you can't when the implant/class is simply not meant to work that way. Stealth is literally their primary selling point and frequently only defense, and killcam breaks that. And I'm aware it's possible to be suicidal with Stalker cloak and get lots of kills, but you might as well not have it then.

Especially seeing that respawn times are extremely quick if spawning in the same spawn and the camera panning into your location as of now on PTS, I see 0 reasons as to why I'd play Stalker instead of a SMG infil or a towerstomping LA, it just forces me into faster, already better play-styles.

I appreciate adding some noob-friendliness, but destroying a subclass in the process is bad design IMO.
    • Up x 1
  17. That_One_Kane_Guy

Personally not a huge fan of killcams in general. In my opinion being able to interpret how you were killed is itself a skill in an FPS, but it is what it is.

As has already been pointed out, it isn't going to have a tremendous effect one way or the other on veteran players aside from perhaps breaking some bad habits. There are enough experienced players saturating this game that a person who sits in the same spot for too long even with a suppressor is found and killed pretty quickly. Most likely scenario is you give the newbie-Planetman the situational awareness of the average Planetman and that's it.

Still prefer not to have it, though.
  18. JibbaJabba

...This is true today without the kill cam. You can't just keep working from some given spot or you're asking to get ganked. Maybe you get ganked a lot and hadn't yet figured out why. Dunno :)

Sure, you'll get away with it because players are new, but the first Vet to come along is gonna make you pay for such behavior.

This change is designed for that new player. You won't be able to just take advantage of their naivete any longer. If this bothers you and is the source of your concern, then I don't share it.

Nothing changes for Vets....other than we get to teabag on camera now!
  19. Liewec123

no, again entirely different, everyone with a decimator can see that esf hovering in the air,
    it s a DEATH SENTENCE to hover over a battle in an ESF.

how is a big loud plane hovering over the battlefield firing an obnoxiously loud weapon like banshee or lolpods even remotely similar to being cloaked in a high up location where infils can't reach and noone would ever think to check?
    (until DBG add a death cam which tells everyone where the person who killed them is.)

right then "bad", go ahead, explain who "here is where the person who killed you is" cam benefits and who it nerfs.
    because i've already gave you the argument, or are you going to ignore that?

and since you had no response except for "but what about the new players!"
    oh? the new players? why would they need help with the game?
    yeah, in your own way you yourself said that you want this because noobs would ragequit,
    so we're both making the same argument that this only benefits bad players...

also note, when i say bad players, i'm not on about the "mlg get rekt 360 noscope" stuff, i'm simply on about awareness,
    if i kill someone from a sneaky spot, and they come back and die again
    (without checking around, throwing a flashbang, bringing a flashlight etc), that is on them.
    we don't need DBG ruining playstyles to cater to the "situationally inert".

really.
    so, you're running for the A building, i kill you with a few rapid shots from stealth, from flank,
    from an undisclosed location.
    on your screen all you get is 4 rapid dings, you think you'd immediately know exactly where i am? nope.
    the best you get is that directional cone on the death screen,
    you don't have a freaking camera showing you my exact location.

back to my doorway example:
    YES, each time i kill you you'll get more and more of an idea of where i am,
    so ofcourse i'll move when i think you've caught on,
    but unless someone is looking in my direction when they die,
    they usually assume that i shot them through the doorway, not from ontop of it.
    • Up x 2
  20. LurkingHorror

Sorry, but it's not. You can perfectly well hover around a battle for a short moment at least, I see it done all the time, and sometimes even managed to do it myself, with all of my abysmal piloting skills, all without getting killed. It's just the longer you hover, the higher the chance you'll get killed, but it's far from certain if you hover just a few seconds. So as I explained, it is indeed also just about not staying in a spot for too long.

Ok, so '...high up location where infils can't reach and noone would ever think to check...' I guess that means we're not talking about sitting above the spawn room door anymore then, right ?

However infils don't really need to reach you, as long as their sniper rifle can reach you, and high up places that make people think that nobody would ever think about checking are generally the first places that will get checked through the scope of their sniper rifle, and then rechecked in regular intervalls, especially if allies start falling over with no enemy in the immediate vicinity shooting at them.

And that enemy infil's scope will eventually find you, the less you move, the easier you make it for him. That's why there already is more than enough incentive to relocate frequently. The deathcam on top won't be able to make much of an impact on top of that anyway.

Ah, there it is :)

So if you already know you need to move, where is the problem with moving a bit earlier ? If you don't, you handicap yourself even without deathcam, as any halfway decent player will notice you had to be close (point not flipping), and have a general direction in which to look for you, which in my experience is more than enough to make dispatching cloakers a rather trivial affair.

Remaining stationary will only ever work consistently against the worst of players, while making you a far more easy kill for any decent or better player. If the deathcam forces you to move, it will just make you that much more deadly against any opponent. I just can't see the disadvantage that you seem to be so upset about.