Planned Death Camera

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GeneralPrime_PT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. GeneralPrime_PT

Actually this kill cam would in that case make it harder to find people when it forces them to switch position more because then the victims won't ever have any sort of pinpoint on a skilled player making the camp even worse. As for snipers, I myself usually sit on some sort of ridge where I can sit behind to recharge cloak, then cloak, peak to find a target, uncloak, shoot, hide again. In this case a kill cam would certainly reveal my position because I'm not cloaked behind the ridge.
  2. vonRichtschuetz

It's going to be so much fun for new players to see the Lib statpadder duo kill them for the fifth time while they don't have access to meaningful anti air.
    • Up x 1
  3. ObiVanuKenobi

That's not statpadding. It's farming.
  4. DarkStarAnubis

I think a kill cam that allows to reply the last 5 seconds of life in slow motion displaying only victim and killer(s) + Health and Hits info would be a great learning tool.

It should be easy to implement as well. Each computer's player could store the last 5 seconds of life (position, orientation, health, shield, weapon etc), so when the kill cam goes active it will pull from the killer(s) those information and rebuild the last 5 seconds of existence.

Change of perspective (panning, zooming, switching to killer's POW, ...) would be allowed if the killer(s) were visible on the minimap.
  5. Skraggz

While the idea of a death camera is nice in the manner it would help some newbs, I seriously doubt DBG ability to implement it in a way that make things that are already confusing even less so. If anything I feel as if they are gonna catch more false reports after implementing this.
  6. LodeTria

• Up x 1
  7. adamts01

100% against this. With motion sensors everywhere and instant respawns, taking the time to flank will be even less rewarding.
    • Up x 1
  8. Liewec123

so having a smart position is punished, and that is a good thing?
    if someone gets a spot behind the enemies and is mowing them down he shouldn't be punished for his cleverness,
    and they shouldn't be helped for having no awareness.

what next? less headshot multiplier for good players?
    • Up x 1
  9. vonRichtschuetz

Kill statpadding - farming. Semantics.
  10. pnkdth

I think the pros outweigh the cons. I wonder just how many new players have jumped in and thanks to not knowing what the hell is going on uninstalls cause they didn't find any enjoyment. This will alleviate the feeling of helplessness, like if a new player gets his face melted by a tank over and over he might not run head-first into when he realise that "oh, that's how I died."

It will also create an actual meta game where players have to respond to new behaviour, e.g. faction A gets flanked by faction B, faction A attention gets focused on their flank meaning faction B has an opportunity elsewhere. Battles will get more dynamic and I think could pave the way to battles where the factions aren't banging their heads against each in an endless stalemate.

It will also make farming harder, which is great.

I do not see the parallell between this and headshot multipliers.
  11. adamts01

Think about whichplaystyle you want to nerf, and which playstyle you want to promote.

If flanking is nerfed, and it's already not efficient, you're funneling more players in to choke points.

If your problem is farmers, then I hate to break it to you, but those choke points are a wet dream for those seeking a high kpm. You're essentially promoting close quarters bolting, deci primaries, and C4 and grenade spam.

I've always thought bases need to be opened up and fights should be spread out. We need more maneuver warfare and less bashing our heads against walls. In order for that to be a thing, we need even more powerful suppressors, and a nerf to spotting and recon tools.

In short, kill cams will fuel the meat grinder.
    • Up x 4
  12. pnkdth

I disagree and I don't quite understand how you get from point A to B. Flanking would still be important but you cannot simply run into the same flank expecting a glorious result every time. Much like how you can't just sit around camping/farming the same place.

In this case we'd be funnelling people into different choke points or fronts, thinning people across a larger area. Larger area with the same amount of players equals less crowded meat grinders. In order for it to happen your way the population of said fight would have increase as players engage multiple fronts. The challenge will then be how you deal with this for both sides.

With the awareness of flanks and rear attacks the quality of gameplay will increase since more and more players will have better spatial awareness, be more informed, have better grasp of different strategies and tactics. If you look to more competitive shooters (E-sports and such) the game gets more complex and tactical as the game lives on since players now I have to outsmart each other in different ways since tactics/strats do not remain secret. Tactic A counters Tactic B, so now we need Tactic C, then someone figures out Tactic A with subtle changes which beats Tactic C, then people starts to combine things and on and on it goes.

In short, an actual meta game.
  13. GeneralPrime_PT

New players uninstalling again after getting killed and not knowing what's going on might be the case. But the solution can't possibly be babysitting those noobs and ******** on the hard work of good players. The solution should be promoting team play which is what this game is about. Show people how to get into squads and outfits. If they play on their own not knowing what they do of course they die.
  14. Leidz

If it's really for newbies, remove the cam at lvl 50. Back in my day, nearly 7years ago, we dont have some magic drone revealing killer positions. Brain, sound and view can help too for finding a hidden guy. And i dont want to lose my time flanking a entire enemy territory, with my medic and my friend engineer, thinking of tactic, ect... For being discovered by a flying deathcam drone spawning on my face. If death cam exist, gun silencer become useless too.
  15. pnkdth

What "hard work"? Using an implant to do some next level camping? Doing the same basic flanking manoeuvre against unwitting opponents over and over? Ruining your low effort farming spot? The more I hear about why people are against this the better I think this Death Cam would be for the game.

I agree on the squad/outfit part though but thing is people won't even stick around long enough for that to happen. I think it is exceptionally rare for a brand spanking new player to research which outfit he or she want to be a part before having even played the game. That and the mentor squads are apparently a total mess since no vets are actually engaging in this.

Back in the day this game was exciting news and everyone was new. People still enjoyed progressing their characters and there were tons of community events. During the honeymoon stage players are far more accepting of game balance and hardships. Today we live in an economy of attention and people are far less loyal to games than they used to. New players coming are mostly going to be someone who's heard about it from a friend or streamer. These players have no loyalty beyond their own enjoyment of the game.

+ The stuff I laid out for why I think it is healthy for the competitive side of the game in my previous post. As someone who has played since 2012 I've barely seen any meaningful evolution of the meta game. Manoeuvres which would have seen me wrecked in other FPS games continues work over and over again. No wonder the game has devolved into everything being a farm.
    • Up x 1
  16. Lucky_Joel

Even though I'm from PS4 and this feature will be a while off before it comes to the console but this is a staple feature of most FPS. And frankly, you're not even a good sniper/stalker if you just hole up in one spot. Never do that. Even though this is no Battlefield game but the same rules apply very easily, you'll get someone who comes back for the sole purpose to get you out of the picture. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten revenge because they don't change it up.
  17. ObiVanuKenobi

Nope. Statpadding would be sitting in a corner of the map killing the same character 1000 times. It's when you raise your stats without playing the game.

Getting lots of kills in a normal fight is farming.
    • Up x 2
  18. Commandoo

I literally started this game not even 2 months ago and I learned in the first 5 mins to just use my brain and guess work to know where they are. If I have a spot in a building then now I'll get noticed and killed thanks to the game.. I expect them to use some knowledge and brain power to get my location not a kill cam. If I hear that call of duty has a kill cam, It's a different game all together. Infltrator will get noticed now! Getting s good spot is useless! It messes up the game. It's a massive open world game with hiding spots all over the map. All I can say is, it's unlucky we are getting one.
    • Up x 2
  19. Demigan

I'm not entirely sure how you came to this conclusion.

When you get killed at a chokepoint you dont really get any new information. You died to someone you knew was there, and the only question that is answered is "which was the lucky devil that landed the final blow".

But if you died to a flank you get much more information. Where was he, how high/low, what cover does he use once the flank is over, where does he move after your death. This makes it harder to keep flanking. While it is fully possible to use this to some extent by killing someone and relocating to catch them when they check your previous spot, but there are limited area's you can do this and requires a certain maximum population around the place you are held up to prevent getting killed even when you specifically used stealth equipment like supressors for the kill.

So in the end it would push for players to stick to known attack routes and less flanking classes, meaning more reasons to pick the HA over the LA and Infiltrator homogenizing the game even more.

Make the death camera only show for people below a certain BR and show this during the deathcam so they know its going to happen. Then when they reach that BR the deathcam only shows the exact location of spotted targets and unspotted targets the camera just makes sure the enemy is somewhere in the camera angle or something. This gives newbies that view to learn what happened but doesnt give more veteran players the opportunity to see your every trick.
    • Up x 4
  20. then00b

You are way overthinking this, experience and paying attention to your UI itself will tell you where you are being shot from, I have taken out entire squads of snipers with my battle rifle because they camp in the same spot trying to and failing to snipe me.
    If you aren't using a suppressor you will show up on everyone's minimap, and even with it anyone paying close enough attention can still hear you.
    This deathcam will only help new players a little bit, but given the size of this game it's not going to do much since if for example their sunderer is killed they can't even spawn in a nearby location anyways. If you are camping the same spot long enough for them to run out from a base and find you again, the problem wasn't the killcam, it's that you're a terrible player.
    But for everyone else, if we get a first person view of our killer we can confirm if there is suspicious activity on their side more easily. I do occasionally get a string of lucky headshots but as I'm not suddenly twitching onto their head like a machine it should be pretty easy for people to see me moving my mouse toward their head.