[Vehicle] Lightening is an overpowered and spammed tank - should cost 400

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. karlooo

Yeah sure it's got a slightly weaker gun, a bit less HP, no secondary gunner.. but the devs got to put size into account.
    You can't hit it.

[IMG]

It's speed is also brutal, almost same as a Harasser.
    And the small size is extreme for the amount of damage it deals.

Every tank has a gun twice as big but for some reason they do identical damage. They have identical reloads too.
    Same with the HP. MBT's are twice as big, an extra 1k hp is not good enough.

[IMG]

Picking an MBT is like a death wish. You can't defend against the spammed lightenings and not even against air.
  2. Skraggz

Mbt are a team based platform, if you are losing to a lightning while in a mbt without a gunner it is 100% your fault. If you lose with a gun then the cost of the tank will not matter as you have a ton to learn still.
    • Up x 1
  3. Trigga

AP tank cannons damage per shot:
    Python 100 AP - 700
    Titan 150 AP - 850
    P2 120 AP - 600 (x2)
    Supernova FPC - 750

The lightning does less damage per shot than both van and mag, and more than prowler but prowler gets 2 shots.
    This of course doesnt factor in the top gun, which should be manned at all times on all factions.
    AP tank cannons reload speed:
    Python 100 AP - 3s
    Titan 150 AP - 3.75s
    P2 120 AP - 3.5s
    Supernova FPC - 3.25s

The lightning reloads faster than the others, which kinda makes sense, smaller projectile easier to reload.
  4. Savadrin

/popcorn
  5. Demigan

The lightning is currently not outperforming the other vehicles. Also we need a viable tank to use when no Techplant is available (Esamir mostly). The fact that the faction with MBT's on Esamir does not curbstomp everyone is a wonderful thing.

Lightnings don't have the health to stand up against an MBT in a straight slugfest. But with the combination of it's speed, size and DPS it can at least match them. I say the Lightning is one of the most balanced vehicles in the game, one of the best choices and should form the baseline for all other vehicles.
  6. karlooo

Lol! Well yeah that's what the forum is for.
  7. JibbaJabba

Well. This is a first.

/popcorn indeed.
  8. ObiVanuKenobi

Haha....

Wait... You're serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even without a gunner any MBT beats an equally skilled Lightning 1v1 easily. Add a gunner and there's nothing a single Lightning can do.
    • Up x 2
  9. TR5L4Y3R

*reads title*

PFFFFFFF .... SUUUUREEE .....

now i´m not a good shot myself ..... but if you can´t hit a lightning like in EVER there must be something realy wrong with your aim ..

harrassers are a bit tough to hit do to their speed and manouverbility but lightnings? ...
    • Up x 1
  10. Pacster3

The only MBT a lightning has even the smallest chance against is a solo magrider that has no magburn ready and is caught from behind(cause magrider needs time to turn and it doesn't have that much firepower). A prowler with decent aim shreds a lightning...and a vanguard with I win shield can even win against 2 lightnings.
    On top of it lightning is the only option single players have when playing vanu...as magrider solo is just downright crap.

If something needs a nerf then it's the AA abilities of prowler and vanguard...and the I win shield(it is simply too strong...especially solo). And some harasser guns that simply deal too much damage for being low skill.
  11. Dethonlegs

The mag wouldn't have to be caught from behind. If the ap lightning got the first shot in or has fire suppression then it will win.
  12. Demigan

Funny, the Lightning scores about the same as the MBT's it fights. Also just a few days ago I was in a barely certed Viper Lightning with a friend in a similar Lightning and we killed 2 crewed Vanguards and a Lightning in a row (amongst many smaller fights against a variety of vehicles). Lightnings are some of the most fun vehicles in the game. Their speed, size, maneuverability and DPS make it a tank to be reckoned with, but don't expect to win a direct slugfest.

More and more trolling by the day eh?
    • Up x 1
  13. TR5L4Y3R

.... i´m sorry ... what AA abilities?
  14. Towie

He probably means - that although Skyknights only ever go after other air (yeah right), the few (ahem) who just hover above a spawn point creating infantry marmalade are potentially vulnerable to a shot from a tank.

Of course - they have to be hovering pretty low - and be stationary for a while - or the MBT got lucky - but that's still probably better odds than a Skyguard.
  15. TR5L4Y3R

well if aircraft get hit by tankcannons with their low pitch they but deserve it to get busted ..
    AA topguns however are still trash .. skyguard while ok for airdeterance is still crap in any other regard ..
    and groundvehicles still need more AA options allong with the easy to use AA options needing some tweaks to be universaly more usable .. ..
  16. Commandoo

I find this tanks actually very hard to control? Is it meant to be like that? Maybe it's just the ps4 version but you can't aim or drive it and end up bashing into stuff. I only use to killl sunder and then throw it away. Not a viable tactic but I hate using it
  17. Pelojian

it's all down to loadout, positioning and skill.

a well played lightning can beat a MBT even in medium-close if they play properly or use the lighning's sleek profile to advantage.

if there is one vehicle no-one can legitimately complain about in planetside 2 it's the lightning.
  18. Twin Suns

The Lightning on the PS4 is broken, regarding its maneuvering ability that is. Hopefully today's update fixes the "Clown Car" aspects. ;)
  19. Bansheedragon75

I don't know what the OP is blabbering about.
    As an Engineer I can hit a lightning tank with the Archer rifle at up to around 500 meters consistently, beyond that it does get more tricky due to the bullet drop but are still doable.

I also use Lightning tanks as my primary combat vehicle and have no problem either driving or hitting things with it.
    But I know from hard earned experience that a lightning can not go toe to toe with an MBT and expect to survive unless you are either highly adept at driving it or the driver of the MBT don't know how to drive an MBT and if the MBT has a gunner in an anti-vehicle turret you are guaranteed to lose.

Either the OP is trolling or just complaining about not being able to hit because someone was adept at evading them.
  20. AllRoundGoodGuy

OP has posted several different threads calling out for the removal/nerf of multiple things. Pretty sure he's not trolling though. From what I can tell he's a relatively new player, that's all.