Can something be done with Air to Ground combat!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. adamts01

Locking a better player out of a fight has the same effect on the fight as killing him. And you really need to stop bringing up lethality on a weapon not designed to kill. It's like those MLG players who argue the Lasher sucks because you can't 1v1 with it. True, but it's insanely effective at what it does, just like flak. I've always argued for extremely lethal AA, so it's not that I want a pass as air, I just want the guy in the ground to earn those hits that keep me 2 hexes away or dead.

On your last point, I 100% agree. The last time I enjoyed playing a Skyguard was pre-CAI, when it could trade punches with a bad AP tanker. Wrel ruined so much of the game with that patch.
  2. AllRoundGoodGuy

It isn't fun though. Maybe if they added a cert gain equivalent to getting a kill if they run away for x amount of time?
  3. TR5L4Y3R

difference between lasher (or any supressionweapon) and flak is that one infantryman is enough to do severe damage and he´s more likely to have a squad allong with him ... how many flakusers are there at the same time on avarage? ... ... yea ...

can we stop with the wrelblamegame? can´t be any more childish to put all the blame on ONE person ...

i asked for rewarding damage with xp before, at least with with AA you have air deteranceribbons ... infantry vs infantry lacks this entirely ..
  4. adamts01

Adding certs doesn't make it more fun, it just bribes people in to doing an unfun job. The key to making AA fun is steering away from overly specialized vehicle guns, so vehicles have something to do when their preferred target isn't around, and transforming AA from a deterrent to a killer, which I simply believe can't be done with flak without making it broken.

I really don't blame him for much, but CAI was his baby. And even then, he got half of it right, like limiting long range infantry anti-vehicle weapons to where infantry render to their target.
    • Up x 1
  5. Savadrin

Same ****, different thread right? He says "think about it" and you say "Tell me the answer"

The Liberator is an apex predator. That is its job. If crewed with three people then expect to need more than one person to kill it.

Have you ever tried to get even a friend to sit and just play rep monkey in the backseat of a Valk? It's boring as **** and without a rotation + people willing to rotate, you're *** out. Again, this is THREE players minimum to make the Valk effective. And often with heavy seat swapping coordination.

Do I like where the VLG is right now? No, not really, I think it's a bit overtuned on the reload. Do I cry about it? No, I certed one to see how it feels and what counters show up to end our fun. Turns out, it's not all that hard to get rid of one unless you can't see past sitting in a ground vehicle. Same goes for the Lib which I have MANY hours in.

Know what does work for ground though? Ranger harasser with a burster max in the rumble. Watch that Valk/Lib panic before exploding on the spot or at best scurrying away while in flames, lol. ESFs usually just evaporate unless they have a full burner tank and good cover.
  6. karlooo

Ok well if it's a THREE player vehicle then a simple solution would be making the MBT's a THREE man vehicle lol. One driver, a gunner, and a commander/secondary gunner, buff the damage, HP because it requires THREE PEOPLE! ;)
  7. Inogine

But then the infantry would have no counter at all. If you can soak up all their shots, it'd make them useless entirely. Terrible idea.

That and a high percentage of the time people tend to solo tank. That'd essentially mean you're wanting a buff for nothing. Also, there's the problem of simulating something your tank doesn't. You NEED those people to effectively use that vehicle. You don't move without the pilot, but that cannon on the belly is super powerful and it needs a gunner. It'd be the same as unlinking your cannon from the driver and giving you something else. Would that be preferred?
  8. iller

It was never intended to. The problem now though is It doesn't do anything against ESF's anymore either. I used to run it on my Vanguard all the time but I came back after a break and noticed it had been weakened to complete uselessness and was experiencing many times more Ghost-Hits than it used to

Get rid of it immediately and run Ranger until that inevitably gets nerfed too
  9. Savadrin

This happened to me too. RIP Walker.
  10. Caydn

Its called a AA max
  11. adamts01

An AA max in a small fight is just a waste of nanites. The aircraft will just bounce to the next small fight. TR has the Striker for this situation, but NC and VS are screwed. All weapons should be less specialized and damage everything.
  12. Trigga

Can something be done with Air to Ground combat!

?
    Yes.
    Revert air back the their release lethality, the game was much more fun back then.
  13. Pikachu

• Up x 1
  14. Trigga

In all honesty i was just winding up the OP, but:
    Looks like the sort of white knuckle, adrenaline pumping, rage-inducing game i originaly signed up for, no wait, its is that game.......
    That was until the carebears got their hands on it.

To be fair tho the level of AA in that vid was low, and the skill poor.
    If you couldnt knock out 2 hexs worth of ESFs with a single dual burster MAX back then, then i dont know what to tell you.

Games still fun now, but kinda...well....placid.
    Thats why i fight against much greater odds wherever i possibly can now.
  15. Demigan

You do remember that not only did we have half the amount of AA sources available, but the damage of those AA sources was even lower than it was now?

Also at no point have AA weapons ever been half as good as those rocketpods. And let's not forget that a single nosegun strafe also took 1/3rd of a tanks health.

And you think the game is placid now? It would have been even more placid had we kept it as it was. "Hey I just destroyed 6 tanks with my anti-infantry rocketpods and the AA they had was virtually useless. This is tense"... That's basically what you are saying. "It was so easy with little resistance, then it was tense!". Uh what? Are you OK? This is the opposite of tense!

Fortunately you also mention what you really liked about it: Rage inducing gameplay. You aren't in the game to have fun, you want to ruin other people's fun. That's what you enjoy. It is for people like you that "care bears" have to build in protections, rules and balance things far more finely just to make sure that people like you don't ruin it for others. Your attitude is a cancer to games. Catering to your attitude and your wishes would keep you in the game and screw over 10 others. If developers could they would simply automatically ban everyone with your attitude (or toss them in a single crap server), because in the long run it helps them earn more money because more people stick with it and play the game.

Go play EVE online or something, that is a game that revels in this kind of behaviour. You want it easy, you want crutches that help you but don't help others, just so that you can screw others out of their fun. Basically you are worthless.
    • Up x 1
  16. TR5L4Y3R

let me tell you something then ... ground AA was even less usefullback then than it is now .. doesn´t change that groundbased antiair is still sh t ...
    • Up x 3
  17. FateJH

I'm certain the pilots had a lot of fun. The rest of the game, I'm afraid, didn't share those sentiments in those few moments where they still managed to be alive.
    The video author himself says that it's effortless and the tanks really don't have anything they can do against the ESF. You get one out of three points.
    Almost no one could. AA used to do much less damage than it does now and even stacking sources was much less effective against keeping Air at bay.
    • Up x 1
  18. Trigga

Wow, why do you have such a negative opinion of me, what did i do to you? o_O
    I havent ***** your mother you know......

Everything you wrote in that post regarding myself was completely incorrect.
    Please leave your prejudice at the door.

I know its hard to believe, i know you struggle with other people opinions, but i enjoyed the game more at launch.
    And no it wasnt because i was in an ESF owning face, ive never ran ESFs, it was because the enemy (ESFs in this case) were scary, they were something to be afraid of, something to think about, plan around.
    Libs were total destruction beyond all measure, and i loved them aswel, moving from cover to cover in a tank, setting up ambush AA squads, camping tower reload and repair stations, it was awesome to fight back against those units.

I meant my own rage, lol, if a game makes me rage its because im passionate about it enough to rage, release ps2 was rage inducing, FOR ME.
    How would i even know if ive made some1 rage? Seriously confused by this comment.

Call it what you like, but stepping out onto a battlefield where at any moment you could be squashed was awesome.
    Desperately fighting enemy tanks only to see a friendly ESF swoop down and save your skin was exhilarating, but getting your kill stolen like that was anoying.
    Getting squashed 3 times in a row by different lib teams at different tank spawn locations was rage inducing.
    But all those emotions contribute to the experience of the game.
    You cant have the highs without the lows as they say.
    Dont you remember how good it felt to take down one of those self named 'leet pilots'?

I dont want to not worry about aircraft when tanking, which is pretty much what happens now.
    I dont want to ignore the enemy vehicles as infantry, which you can pretty much do now.

Too many seem to rely on winning or surivival for their kicks, too many think death = failure and is therefore unacceptable.
    Free yourselves of this mentality, enjoy your deaths as much as your kills and youll notice a vast increase in your enjoyment of the game.

TBH i cant quite believe ive been jumped on this hard, or that i bit quite that easily, but eh, no harm done.

Never played EVE never will, not my sort of thing, there was no need for that insult, i insulted no1.
  19. Trigga

See my post #58 above, my own opinions are completely different to yours.
    Being one of the 'rest of the game' i was having a ball, i guess it was the 10 years of PS1 influencing me, or the fact that i like a challenge, not quite sure tbh, tried to explain it above.

For clarity, when i said release i should have said 'first year'.
    I guess you guys dont remember the dual burster max not rendering for enemy aircraft, and killing them from 2 hexs away.

And i really wish people would stop taking the word of a youtube video narrator as gospel, **** the gospel isnt even gospel.
    Dont you think its possible he had an agenda and chose his words carefully so that poeple like you would form a bias?
    Its easy to show a vid from 6 years ago and say 'see this guy agrees' when we can neither test his assumptions nor confirm his statements.

I supposed i should apologise, the word carebear i think has set all this heat off, i didnt mean it offensively, i guess ive been on the SC forums too much.
  20. Trigga

Thought id seperate this as i really dont like it, i wasnt going to say anything but eh.

There is no need to reference cancer, stop being a sheep and following the latest buzzword.
    Be more sensitive to the fact that people could have lost close relatives to that horrible disease.
    I find it quite ironic that you bare no consideration to this fact while trying to belittle me for apparantly not having any empathy towards my fellow gamers, (which even more irnoically, isnt even true).