[Suggestion] shrink continents periodically

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by chamks, Jul 30, 2019.

1. chamks

a suggestion to shrink continents sooner not only in last hour of a map when lock alert starts. make the shrink process dynamic according to player count on the map. i mean its a 1500 players map hosting 100-150 players many times during a day cycle. which leads to a poor gameplay
    • Up x 1
  2. AllRoundGoodGuy

Like a battle royale game?
    • Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

4. TR5L4Y3R

.... annnnd what would that do? this is a territorycapturegame not a battleroyal were you can just move anywere freely without any objective ..
    those who are caped at a warpgate barely have a chance to push out, those who warpgated will likely keep the other factions in a enclosed area ... so with this situation happenning and as such rather naturaly limiting the effective battlearea what´s the point of shrinking? the maps change already in captureable territory according to continental pop ...

people may like big battles but to some they may not get much out of these so they instead chose battlefields were they may have more impact or better chances to capture territory than to stick in a meatgrinding battle ...
    i don´t think forcing confrontations like this is a good idea ..
  5. Pelojian

people would hate it.

the map is not designed to be shrunk down and people hate the warpgate stabilization where almost the entire map is constricted into one path.

this is not a battle royal game.
    it is not designed as such.
    if you want a planetside battle royal game ask DBG to make one, don't shoe horn it into PS2 breaking the game in the process.

it's always better to build significant game modes and content in a game from the foundation rather then haphazardly tacking them on later where it interferes with existing game design.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

It has nothing to do with battle royal game. It's just about making map size proportional to player base to maintain player density.
    • Up x 1
  7. iller

The map is already "shrunken down" if you're a Pilot or Harasser team.

The problems when it comes to INFANTRY in this game will not be fixed by condensing the number of Hexes because the problem with Gunplay itself is a TTK that's almost "as short" as the Latency of the Server response & Interpolation "is Long" when you look exclusively at Head Crit multipliers from Automatic weapons. THAT'S why there's only 150 players online anymore. This is why an overpopulated Hex doesn't FEEL like one b/c every non-MLG player who isn't exploiting something like the 5-1 KDR lagwizards are, dies so quickly that you could stack 50 of them on the head of a pin and not even notice their population impact. It's also why guns with completely different ideal Ranges don't actually feel different against eachother until you get out to absolutely absurd ranges

Other PVP games ... even shooters ... have this problem sorted out for the potentially much more numerous Casual player and aren't further complicating it with ASYMMETRIC faction balance problems on top of that; which further Favors one faction heavily over another in high Lag Compensation client side situations that happen constantly due to the Over-reliance on said Infantry fights to resolve almost every single Hex capture.

If this primary problem was addressed in one way or another, then Zergs would naturally reach a point of Stalemate where the "Farming" would feel way slower even for the top 2% players in that fight and a saturation point would be reached where everyone REALIZED they'd have to spread out and start cutting off back line support or lattices just to progress any further -- much the way the First Game allowed a lot more variety in its methods for Territory "Pressure". (especially if the infantry resources to KEEP pulling more C4 and grenades and even MAX suits was tied to back-line support connections and regional cortium reserves or the limitation could only be bypassed for the individual player by Respawning out of a GALAXY)
  8. Bansheedragon75

Actually they are already working on a game just like that.
    It's called Planetside Arena.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/987350/PlanetSide_Arena/
  9. chamks

for all those who say "battle royal" first of all congrats for learning new cool word, second its not a battle royal, its for the game to match himself proportionally to the population, to use pikachu's words. the game is already shrink at the last hour of a continent, my suggestion is to hasten this transform for the reasons mentioned. as i said in my reddit post "...when 90% of the map is empty, empty bases, infiltrator ghost capping a base and a light assault in an esf flying from base to base capping, and you think should i stop the ghost capper, fly after the guy in the esf capping back points?..."

i have never played a battle royal game, but for what i saw and understand the map shrinks regardless of population and in a set amount of time. so for your ******* question - no, like planetside 2. the shranken state is already happening whether if this suggestion kick in or not. the problem is that its happening only in the last hour of a map time, which can take handful of hours and with population standards way less than it should be. thats handful of hours with empty map and only good gameplay when the map shrinks last hour, which you dont know if or when its gonna happen.
    the game has created with the solid objective of filling the map with 1500-2000 players to actually experience this game at it best. once you take out 80% of the population and leaving the map as is, the game becomes something else. they didnt thought what if the game wont host 1500 players. to a crappy ghost capping/zerg that i know today, except for the 3 rush hours of a day.
  10. Peebuddy

90% of all the fights on Indar are already in the center of the map, don't see how this'll change things much.

What might be cool if it shrunk down to corners of the map so we might actually get to fight as some of these bases. They did all this work for some of the bases and nobody fights there. Maybe do what they do when not a lot of people are on the continent they'll lock latice lanes, they could alter that to encourage us to fight at those least played bases.
    • Up x 1
  11. Badman76

Ceres needs this to happen, the maps just too large for say 100 players playing at peak times.