Planetside Arena will probably end Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Aug 2, 2019.

1. karlooo

It's just my opinion but seriously think about it.
    Who is this game designed for? You got a bunch of Battle Royal games, the battle royal community is divided, why will anyone be interested in another copy paste battle royal?

The only people that will be interested in Planetside Arena are Planetside 2 players. Simply because it's an upgraded version of Planetside 2 with improvements, which Planetside 2 doesn't receive. Planetside Arena has cool and competent devs, new map designs, models, vehicles, visuals. There is no reason to stay in Planetside 2.

The release of Planetside Arena will bring attention from some battle royal fans and planetside 2 players, dividing and decreasing the population of Planetside 2 even more, making it pretty much a dead game. Even now it has low population.

I don't understand why Planetside Arena is being invested in. It's great, will be popular in my opinion, but you got a bunch of battle royal games.
    How many games like Planetside 2? I've not seen one. If this game received an actually update, a huge change, it could possibly be number 1 but it's not going to be easy.
    • Up x 2
  2. Liewec123

it is already silently doing damage to PS2,
    because every single bit of resource being spent on making a BR version of PS2 is less resources that are spent on REAL PS2.

but you are right that the release will also see some PS2 players jump ship to the shiny new planetside experience,
    and that will have a domnio effect because our fights will be smaller and less people will bother logging in for smaller fights.
    • Up x 4
  3. karlooo

I believe the thing that's currently lacking in PS2 is not the big battles, but the community.
    I have trouble finding coordinated squads, which is essential in a game like this.
  4. TomoB

I watched trailer for Planetside Arena and all I can say is mehhh. Graphically looks exactly same as PS2 but it's like some kind of team deathmatch oriented thing, boring.
  5. Smallzz

All the infantry players tired of being farmed by A2G will go, and then all the vehicle players that rely on ******** on infantry will disappear afterwards.
    • Up x 1
  6. vonRichtschuetz

My guess is that PS2 players will stick to PS2 because if they wanted to play a BR game, they would have already left.
  7. Zhakathoom

Not a single Planetside 2 player wants a battle royal..
    • Up x 2
  8. TR5L4Y3R

errrr ... don´t say that ...
    i can very well see the apeal for PSA

i disagree however that PSA ends PS2 cause PSA has a paywall were the other has not ...

people can always play various games

no one has to stick to one game at a time ...
  9. ObiVanuKenobi

Played the beta when it was available, didn't like it.
    It's was far less fun than Planetside 2.
    We'll see what happens when/if they make arena playable again.
  10. OgreMarkX

Planetside Arena will kill both Planetside 2 and Planetside Arena itself.

Some of the reasons:

1. Battle Royal market is oversaturated
    2. Customer base is growing sick of them
    3. Cheaters. Cheaters. Cheaters.
    4. PS:A is a scaled down mod of the existing Planetside 2
    5. PS:A has ZERO unique features to compete in the Battle Royale space
    6. DBG has shown it will field only small teams to support their games...a BR title needs constant attention and cannot survive DBG's nine month gestation period for patches and major updates
    7. DBG killed off a significant amount of goodwill from loooooong time loyal customers of Everquest
    8. Last year's "Life Time Membership" scam. Guys...when a company offers lifetime membership, that means they've done the forecasting and the cost of the lifetime membership was determined by how long they planned to honor it. Money upfront before the fall.
    9. Hardware maintenance. PS2 servers were unplayable for a very long time. DBG tried blaming an ISP....IN EUROPE...for problems related to a server housed in SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA. You can't manage your shop like that if you want to compete in the Battle Royale world

And please guys, let's not buy into the "BR is just one game mode" lie...

DBG doesn't understand that they are not in a position to command millions of dollars off microtransactions, yet they are charging headfirst into them with PS:A.

When DBG announced PS:A and I learned that to play it I would have to PAY EVEN MORE THAN I ALREADY WAS PAYING...I cancelled 3 of my 4 paid accounts that had been active for 15 years.

Fifteen years....while my 4th account (this one) turned 20 years old this year.

Those other 3 accounts had been dormant since last November yet I had been happy to give DBG my monthly sub costs anyways. I wanted them to succeed.

But not now, and not ever again. PS:A's money grab was disgusting.

Guys, I started playing Everquest in 1999 and it was my home away from home for 20 years. DBG kept it running so to that part of the company--THANK YOU AND GOOD FREAKING JOB. But the rest of DBG?

Zero trust. Zero.
    • Up x 5
  11. Pikachu

I wonder if PSA will even be released now that we have entered august. o_O
    • Up x 2
  12. adamts01

When news of Planetside 3 being a battle royal leaked on Reddit, I thought it was a joke. That's literally the very LAST thing this community would want. When Daybreak confirmed PSA, I logged off for 8 months.
    • Up x 2
  13. Caydn

Are all your thread complaints about the game ?

again yo opinion doesnt matter
    • Up x 1
  14. Skraggz

They really are... I wonder why he plays with the amount of changes he would like to make to the game, the game would be subjectively a different game all together.
  15. CartoonFace101

I can't see myself playing arena because you can't deploy a sundy...
  16. Makora

This is a problem that created itself. The most vocal of the PS2 community at early days wanted "large battles" and the game further skewed towards such demands. Those "large battles" have always been to greater or lesser effect; clusterf**ks. A disorganized mass of people with small groups of semi-organized people actually doing something.

Personally I hold the opinion and theory that the largest a battle in PS2 could go to and not be a "URRRRAAAAA!" zerg numbers game is around 48 total players per combat zone (base and surrounding area). And in the largest battles where 100v100, those who actually play the objectives and advance the progress of combat number in about the same total for that complete cluster-mass. Meaning the vast majority of players in those "massive epic battles" are just ambient scene dressing. And since the URRAA! made up the majority of players, the game further skewed towards that demographic.
    I have nothing against streamlining unnecessarily complicated or obtuse systems, but I personally started feeling the downfall when something as simple yet game-changing was done as making AMS on sunderers passive. There is a case to be made about things being too streamlined and we have reached that point.

As for Arena, pre-ordered just for the chance to see early what they might do. The BR aspect is something I'm not really interested in but the biggest point of hope for me is that this would present the perfect opportunity to try PS2 again and do it better. Basically seeing what worked and didn't work in PS2, what were the pain points and the biggest things that caused issues and address that. There were no MAX's, infiltrators were also absent and everyone had a jetpack, though I think that might just be the result of hitting all the boxes of what current shooters are doing in regard to mobility and needing something special.
    • Up x 1
  17. OgreMarkX

Truly no offense meant Makora, but you want to play Overwatch or other smaller scale team based games.

Planetside 2 suffered out of the gate by this same problem of wanting to be another kind of game instead of being what made it unique.

Planetside 2 was designed for massive (YUUUUGE) battles. That, plus three factions (instead of two) were the game's most important market differentiations.

Enter the subset of players (and dev/designers..aka Matt Higby) who were more interested in MLG, Twitch, Small Team, L33tfits, game style. This caused the game to lose sight of itself right after release, and the game has suffered ever since.

Too often, the game did not pursue it's core purpose (huge three faction battles)...instead it always wanted to be something it was not designed to be (see Wrel's spawn system).

DBG probably realized this so is likely abandoning Planetside 2 in favor of the more microtransaction/wallet busting model called Planetside Arena. Less investment, perceived less risk, hoped for major increase in profit.

Profit is good. In fact, it's great. And DBG needs to make it.

But gaming companies have forgotten what and who they are, and what a game is.

Games nowadays are thinly veiled vehicles to $drip-$drip-$drip your wallet, one microtransaction at a time.

Profit is best earned by selling something of value, not by tricking and trapping people into a slow bleed of cash.

Game companies are now headed by, and staffed by, Pyramid scam artists.
  18. That_One_Kane_Guy

I remember thinking pretty similar thoughts about the rumors for BF:V having Battle Royale. The trend-chasing with the BR genre needs to stop, or at least stick to original titles instead of bleeding over into franchises where they were neither asked for nor desired.
  19. TR5L4Y3R

weither it´s br, online mmo rpg´s or moba´s there will always be a trend companies will run after to get their slice of the pie ..
    that´s how things just are .. .. people look for a goldmine and plunder it till nothing is left and go to the next .. creativity and innovation be damned ... cause otherwise we might have had a system of enviromental friendly powergenaration and engines now than using oil, gas and coal for the next 2 or 4 decades when everything has already gone to sh t ...

realy the best you can do in this day and age is to dig for indygames ... you are more likely to find a good unique diamond there than in the pile of repetitive triple A junk plastered with microtransactions and rng gamblingmechanics ..
    • Up x 1
  20. OgreMarkX

Fixed it fer ya TRslayer.

Also, a man who says he's with the Oil Industry would like to speak with you...out back....in the alley. The dark, rat-infested alley.

Otherwise--spot on!