[Suggestion] Buff Nightime

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AllRoundGoodGuy, Aug 1, 2019.

1. AllRoundGoodGuy

Make nights darker. I feel like that darker nights could make for some interesting gameplay, maybe also at night, spotting a target lasts for only 50% duration. I am well aware that my bright pink camo would not be very suitable for this environment.

Then we could either:

A) Extend the range of the current dark light flashlights
    B) Make a new flashlight attachment that doesn't reveal infiltrators but shines a light 3-4x farther then the dark light

I am more a fan of option B, I've also liked the idea of having a powerful flashlight that when you initially shine it at someone they get a very brief blinding effect (maybe half a second.)

Thoughts? Yay or nay?
    • Up x 3
  2. AllRoundGoodGuy

Oof, misspelled night time.

rip
  3. Commandoo

Flash lights or weapon lights as they are known serve no purpose in the game at all.. on ps4 you have to press the direction button to turn on when in real life you will flick on or off quick when going in buildings or want to spot something. In game it doesn't turn off somtimes and keeping it in all the time is bad. Being able to flick on or off quick would be better so configure controls on ps4 would be better to enable maybe R1 to switch it on or off.

Lasers also give you away at night so are kind of pointless in my opinion. Maybe pc has a button to switch on and off quickly but os4 does not. You can but it's hard to do on the move or when in action. So I just don't take a flash light with me.
  4. Demigan

I wouldnt "just" make it darker. People would simply change their brightness settings to compensate. So rather than only changing the brightness I would also change the graphics of your vision. For example the Grainy EMP effect we see now will be used to make things farther away look grainy and less clear when night time arrives. Lightsources would reduce this effect. This prevents players from just changing brightness to see.

Additionally you could allow lightsources to add a flashbang effect whenever someone goes from looking at dark areas to directly in a lightsource. The severity depends on how directly the lightsource shines in your face and how dark was before you looked into it. This means that two people with a flashlight arent blinded much by directly shining lights in each others eyes, but someone without a flashlight suddenly looking directly in a flashlight from close range would have almost a full white screen. This adds a nice difference between someone who dont showcase their position with a light and those who do. It also makes those muzzleflash hiders more important.
    Alternatively you could have the sun effect when someone shines a light in your eyes. So like looking at the in-game sun it becomes very hard to see any aircraft hiding in the sun (at least on my settings). Apply a large white spot at the location of the flashlight, a larger spot the more directly it shines at you, to make aiming at the enemy a bit harder.
    • Up x 2
  5. iller

The darker they make it, the BRIGHTER I'll just have to make my AMD Catalyst Gamma override hotkeys just to stay in the same neighborhood with all the try hards running even more aggressive DirectX Shader Modificatons and plugins
    • Up x 1
  6. TR5L4Y3R

i would like for more inteligence devices ... like give the medic a motionspotter or motionpistol too ..
    give the engineer a deployable radar .. stuff like that ..
    give the max a radarsuit (infantry or vehicles) for utility (among with a infantryammobox or shieldcharger)
    also if not a speed related mechenic how bout a smokescreen for the max?
  7. FateJH

The easiest way to buff nighttime beyond the ability of client modification to cope is to let the server hold back on what it tells the client to render in the dark. Can't see something the server doesn't tell you is there, even if a "yet" must follow that phrase.
  8. Skraggz

I can already see the cries about VS camo, so they would have to add more hardset color spots on VS.
    • Up x 1
  9. Pikachu

Interesting idea. I played around with it a little. I used brightness as a mask for adding grain.
    [IMG]

Another idea would be to simply crank up the fog and have moonless nights so it won't be invisible in shadows.
    • Up x 1
  10. adamts01

I'd be fine with dark nights if a) We had proper night vision goggles (not scopes), and b) if vehicles could use night vision goggles and switch loadouts to night vision/thermal optics at friendly bases.

I think it's too much trouble to do it right.
    • Up x 1
  11. AllRoundGoodGuy

I've always thought that vehicles should be able to swap loadouts at an ammo tower, maybe for a nanite cost. But yeah, we would for sure need more optics.
  12. Pikachu

And if thermal googles were meant to be thermal googles rather than enemy detection googles.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. JibbaJabba

I have wished for years they would bring back the darkness of Beta. It literally affected gameplay. You may even wait for night to being an attack. Thermals mattered. Those that switched to them at night had an advantage.

It added a layer to the game.
  14. then00b

I mean I'd like it especially after unlocking black camo, that is seriously dark, but people will just adjust their own monitors and contrast etc to counter it I guess, and spotting will generally negate it.
    If they do try to pull it off, the other suggestion would be to make flare guns last a bit longer maybe, but perhaps dim the illumination. Would be nice for those to be actually useful tools.
    • Up x 1
  15. Demigan

needs more
    [IMG]

And smaller+finer one's at that :)
  16. Pikachu

I don't know how to make smaller better looking grain, other raising the resolution pic. I turned up the grain here.

Dark no grain
    [IMG]

Dark with grain
    [IMG]

Bright no grain
    [IMG]

Bright with grain
    [IMG]