Weapon lock help

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Commandoo, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Commandoo

So today we had for the first time in ages our very own ceres Zerg vs Zerg fight with both teams having a ton of people in a small corridor. On the ceres map you never get a choke point very often.. the problem I had was people was they kept running infront of my mana turret,mana turret shoots 1-2 bullets and hits a friendly. It's like a max killed someone infromt of me so I'm shooting him in the head with mana turret and a friendly gets revived right in front of me and I kill him by accident. This happens so much that I get weapon lock but with fights like these so rare I have to grind kills for auruxam armour and all I have left is mana turret.. how long does weapon lock last each time?
  2. adamts01

I can't tell you, because after thousands of hours I've never had my weapons locked. And I've been in the middle of the zergiest of Chinese zergs. You just need to get better at not shooting friendlies.
    • Up x 3
  3. Skraggz

I've gotten locked a few times, and yes I deserved it. It lasts 2-10 minutes, Not incredibly long but enough to make you take a break and cool down if you're in the situations I get into. It don't last terribly long, not an all day thing.
  4. JohnnyWayne

The whole system needs to get fixed with a proper machine learning model behind it and a rulset that defines in which cases no griefing points are awarded. The current system makes long playsession next to unplayable. If you never had issues with locks or think you deserved them you probably dont shoot enough at your enemies.
  5. LordKrelas

Yeah that's not viable: As not only a mass of data, that's easily exploitable.

If you can't manage a long play-session due to weapon-locks, Which dissipate over time..
    You are reliably hitting friendly consistently enough, that you are constantly keeping the warning up.
    Stop throwing Grenades near allies, or panic-fire, it might help those long battles, from having a consistent Friendly-fire accident.

IE, what in the hell are you doing to trigger it consistently in long sessions?
    In a long battle, let alone session, you shouldn't be managing to maintain the friendly-fire warning - not Unless you have poor judgement.

In the OP"s example, Where did they position that turret?
    If it's in the middle of the main pathway, they should've noticed their allies sorta needing to go down that path, into their arc.
    You don't need to sit your entire fire arc dead center to where your Allies have to travel, to cover a door.
    But if you did position it that way; Your allies have to go through it, and if you aren't watching the map, Not even Allied medics reviving the dead should consistently land Friendly-fire hits.

The Friendly-fire warnings, don't lead to locks, all that quick.
    Tankers have a harder time, as consistent contact damage in large-groups.
    As infantry with no contact-damage, You should not be repeatedly & rapidly damaging allies consistently.
    • Up x 1
  6. JohnnyWayne

I am a data scientist I know exactly what these algorithms can and can not do. And in these cases they'd work extremly well if you track the right data.And they gather A LOT of telemetry data from clients as seen in the past.

I have allies run in my gun all the time, not to forget the ones that dont see enemies next to them (because they have 0 situational awareness) and if you don't fire you are the next one dead thanks to clientside2. Your tips are irrelevant to me im a medic main and if I play something else I usually even forget about nades. As I said - if you dont have issues after about 6 hours to be almost instantly on the final warning or a lock you are not shooting enough. With a sub 1.5 k/d that is pretty damn sure the case.

One more thing: You also seem to have no idea how fast you can get weapons locked if you are doing that stuff intentional. Like in having a little fun with a friend aside of the battles.
  7. LordKrelas

If they're constantly running into your gun, Perhaps you are firing into the primary path of travel.
    If its not the primary path of travel; How exactly are you reliably getting people that are on your mini-map to walk in front of you?
    There is something called Improbability for getting enough friendly-fire like that, to trigger it; as it depletes.

Given I literally throw grenades, have used C-4, and numerous other AOE , to direct-fire weapons, let alone repeatedly killing 4th Faction C-4 LA's coming after my Sunderer, and have been in the rumble-villa that is large vehicle groups,
    I'm pretty bloody sure, it's not a "woops, I fired twice, next shot is a weapons-lock"
    Even NC, whom can have that single accidental shot be fatal, do not casually get weapons-lock constantly.
    Nor does TR, whom have tons of inaccurate bullets.
    VS with the Lasher, in fights can get locks, and that is constant AOE spam damage; If you aren't endlessly firing that into a ***********, you shouldn't have a problem with Infantry.

Unless, you are putting an Engineer turret, and firing directly into the path your entire advance has to go through constantly, and aren't even paying attention to the map; As gods knows your TK' allied, isn't likely.
    • Up x 2
  8. Skraggz

I'll stress this again, the only time I got weapon locked is when I purposely did things wrong. Any other time I don't get locked. Yes every once in a while I may kill a friendly by mistake. That isn't enough to get locked unless you're doing it a few times per few minutes. Just gotta be mindful of your friendlies. If you keep tagging friendlies I can tell you.... they are not placed badly, in this instance you are.
    • Up x 3
  9. Commandoo

We was on a map yesterday with 2 Zergs fighting in narrow corridors. It's a corridor that leads into a mountain on that map with the base in the middle that has 3 air turrets on a mountainside. The base next to it has a cliff entrance, Towards a cap. On ceres well that server doesn't do big fights very often. Basically what I was doing was trying to farm kills for my turret directive. It usually takes me around 3-4 days to get 50 kills because dead sever. Unlike most other servers you can probably get 50 kills in 20-30 mins or complete the whole directive in a day.

I would put my turret down at a choke point and because we are so close together I would accidentally scratch a friendly. With just chipping friendlys I would eventually get weapon lock. I basically wanted the kills no matter what in turret because it's a hard thing to get on this dead server. But stuff like people running in front would happen. For example I'm firing on a doorway and a friendly right close to me, looks at me and goes in front swinging knife at me.. it's funny but he gets team killed. And I'm like WHHY! But then I realise this is NC. Another example was, I'm shooting a max in the head as he's coming down the slope then a friendly jump packs infront of me and I don't kill him but scratch him. another example was I'm shooting a max in the head again as he's coming out a doorway and a guy in a sunder parks right infront and dies to a max. So I scratch him before he dies. It can't be helped but I didn't get massively punished for it. So all good . Today I haven't hit anybody, mostly because VS ghost capped everywhere and NC can't be bothered to chase them. So team fights are dead. Sunday planetside best planetside.

It was the first time I had really seen a proper Zerg fight and was nice. I got 150 kills that day towards directive. Most of the time I don't get weapon lock but rather I get friendlys shoot me in the head while using my turret.
  10. JibbaJabba

Pretty sure it lasts just a couple minutes like 2. But it becomes more sensitive. You'll be more prone to lock again, and the next lock will be significantly longer.

If you get locked, don't do the thing you were doing before when you finally get unlocked.
  11. adamts01

I suggested this maybe a year ago, but I really think there needs to be a "forgive" option on your death screen when you're team killed. That would let Daybreak crank up the penalty for 4th factioning without penalizing those "oops" moments.
  12. Money

I honestly have very little patience for lemmings that constantly run into my line of fire. Especially, when I am on a Mana Turret. Over the last year, I have received several weapon locks. I usually just get up from the computer and get some fresh air. Sorry, not sorry!
  13. JibbaJabba

If I'm doing some non-commital aim, and just generically working a corner or something and do friendly fire, I'll let up for sure and possibly adjust my position or give it up altogether.

If I've got a bead on an enemy, I'm working that head or about to and you get in the line? Yep, gonna carve ya down. Sorry bruh.

I'm not sloppy about it too often so if I cut you down you probably messed up.

I've been weapons locked this many times in 4000+ hours of gameplay:
    Bug that made me double pull a galaxy and something in it's destruction mega weapon locked me.
    The 2nd J-908 Invitational harasser death race wherein I became locked from vehicle collision.
    One of the first times I tried the lasher.

You guys that get regularly weapon locked from normal gameplay? You can't blame me for having questions about your judgment and abilities.
    • Up x 1
  14. Commandoo

I noticed people troll me by running infront of my mana turret and also shoot at me while manning it. It's the NC kids I guess. That said I finished my directive On it so don't have to bring it out all the time. Now I can bring it out when it's needed. But it was rough. Very little action on the server and when you find action some kid with a knife starts stabbing the turret and running infront. Shot a guy in the head yearertday because he stood infront looking at me. Then he team kills me back and then I just gave up. So happy to finally get directive done.
  15. Tombabmo

What a weird system, innocent people with bad aim have their weapons locked because of couple of friendly hits or TKs. But teamkilling clowns can do their sh*t intentionally without any problems and TK dozens of friendlies. This one guy seem to be targeting me and he TKs me every time he sees me. I have no clue who he is or what have I possibly done to him to provoke him. So I decided to try get his weapons locked by letting him TK me but it didn't seem to happen. Time after time he TK me and his weapons seemed to work just fine. I reported him but I doubt that works either.

That didn't work so well in Battlefield 2 and about 90% of players "punished" for accidental TK even if I said sorry or revived them quickly after my F-up.
  16. Twin Suns

Everyone's heading down the corridor attacking the enemy and then some friendly $&@! that's as smart as a box of rocks puts a mana turret down.

License & Registration....Chicken $&@?!r.