I had a great time after 8 months away

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Jul 22, 2019.

1. adamts01

I put in about 10 hours over the past few days and things are looking good.

Pros: The biggest that stood out.
    -DX11!!! My game is running insanely good.
    -Wyrm: I'm so happy to have an anti gal/Lib weapon that isn't a lock on.
    -NC Maxes were finally put in place. I honestly put this far above and beyond anything else that's been fixed.
    -Air locks are weak against ESF, and Coyotes at least feel a little less powerful (Not sure if this has changed)
    -The Vector isn't broken OP anymore.

Cons:
    -Connery feels dead. And once the Asians log on all the typical funny stuff starts happening. I'd happily pay $100 to transfer to Emerald. Or just merge those servers. Why wasn't SolTech put in Singapore where the Australians and everyone could be happy?
    -Half my time is spent looking for a good fight. Double teaming really needs to be addressed. I won 2/3 alerts, so this is a complaint not only from the losing side.
    -LAs are still broken powerful against tanks. After those 10 hours we also never once felt the need to pull air because of the stupid amount of flak. Typical infantryside.
    -The Banshee is as terrible as ever. They should have left direct damage so I can dogfight with it, and nerfed splash so it isn't such a farming machine. Same goes for air hammer. I don't know how to fix that crappy PPA.

I'm nowhere close to putting money in the game, but I am excited to play again. What will get me spending money is something to lessen doubleteaming and changing the flak mechanic.
    • Up x 1
  2. AllRoundGoodGuy

Welcome back! Glad you enjoyed playing again.
  3. TR5L4Y3R

put in place as in nerfed to kingdom come alright ... not something i consider positive

they aren´t weak ... they are simply crap ... again not a good thing ... but hey glad you can enjoy those wyrms were anyone else get´s no damage out but simply blasted to hell chosing to use lockons ... .. may as well just not touch esfs for any airengagement ..

gee if only you had stuff like kobalts or walkers to deal with them .... how dare AV topguns are not able to pitch all the way up and be equaly effective against LA´s ...

flak .... infantryside .... ... so burster maxxes are represantive of infantryside now or what? ... ok ...
    • Up x 1
  4. Badman76

You don't see Nc maxes at all on cere's, thats how bad they got nerved
  5. adamts01

I don't get what your complaint is regarding air locks. They're still really good against Libs and Gals. And noobs still have Coyotes to deal some damage instead of none. Nothing should erase a skull gap, though I am a fan of limiting that gap in small ways.

Infantryside: I'm not an armor main, so this complaint isn't from that angle. Kobalt this, walker that... If a vehicle had a Kobalt up close, we'd poptart with rocklets or pop out and launch a deci before we'd die. We'd get healed and shoot again, but the vehicle had to either run or die. If a vehicle had a Kobalt in the open, we could just ignore it. Your mileage obviously varies. I'm just calling it as I saw it.
  6. TR5L4Y3R

well aside from dalton libs tearing you a new one if you go close enough with lock ons but ouside of that a esf novice can´t barely do jack against another esf .. that´s what i´m talking about ..
    esf v esf is still imposibly diffcult for a novice to get out decent damage, it requires you to be a nosegunmaster ..
    heck the wyrm is actualy more capable (if you have good enough aim) of doing damage than any of the lock on weapons which is a utter joke ...
  7. adamts01

Noobs can still use Coyotes though... They can't compete with someone who's good with a nose gun, and they shouldn't be able to. Just like I can't compete using a LMG against a skilled cqb bolter. And that's OK. Power should be relative to how difficult a weapon is to use. As for Dalton Libs... If you stick around to eat a 2nd shot, and the gunner is good enough to hit you twice, then you deserve to lose.

I agree that the air game is too hard to get in to and too hard to get better at. But the noob weapons Daybreak gave us were terribly done.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

except there are more players like being close to your ability as infantry than there are esf players of similar level ..
    air staying that way with controls need more effective noviceweapons ... doesn´t matter if these noviceweapons help the vets, the novices need something ... i don´t know how coyotes and lock ons were when you last played but as they are currently they are just bad oustide of big and slow targets ...
  9. adamts01

I'm 100% on board with novice weapons. But it does matter if they benefit vets. Coyotes are a perfect example of how not to do them. An easy fix would be to not let weapons reload while not selected. And there you go. A weapon that helps new pilots without buffing vets. But the key is that there's not the same damage potential as a gun with such high skill requirements.

I took out a Banshee/Coyote Mossy and tried using Coyotes against a decent nose gun ESF. I took out maybe half his health and he beat me. That feels just about right for a weapon with such lenient aiming requirements.

You're right that infantry have a smaller performance gap. That's partially because of more variety of skill on the battlefield, but more so because it's simply easier to aim with a mouse and hit another infantry player. Though I do think nanoweave should be removed to reduce the performance gap just a little more.
  10. OneShadowWarrior

Emerald is a better server than Connery and I am West Coast based, if I would have known sooner. I would have ran my main characters on Emerald.

To be honest in the last 6 years Planetside really hasn’t changed except for going back and forth balancing and rebalancing, it’s still the same game with more choices and getting familiar with the weapons or vehicle changes. It’s still Planetside from Day 1.
  11. adamts01

Graphics and performance aside :( I'm always so impressed with how the game looked when people post old videos.
  12. AlcyoneSerene

DX11 improved FPS a ton but then added microstuttering. It's not my settings or machine, since the last PTS DX11 the FPS stuttering wasn't there at all, and everything was perfectly smooth and fluid with large players around - which kept crashing the PTS since we overloaded the server by the numbers.

I think I know what you mean by the Connery laggers. I played on there my NC a bit when Emerald servers broke, and when this particular VS outfit showed up, they stormed everything and fighting them felt completely glitchy and unfair. They clearly know they lag like hell and how to exploit it. The usual advice on peeking on them first since you'll be invisible to them too doesn't work in my experience, or perhaps it only works if one has ultra low ping.

Saw some old vids of a particular PS2 Dev experiencing completely ordinary gameplay and deciding to nerf the dalton, or inexplicably buff LA against vehicles (rocklets, ambush jumpjets). The NC MAX took forever to address somehow, and now seems nerfed out of existence - I'm still not motivated to build my NC max seeing how poor the stock AI weapon is, and I do enjoy some max play on TR & VS. But when it comes to experiencing laggers, somehow devs have nothing to say?

Anyways welcome back. The grind to cert out from scratch on another server is not fun. I'm leveling my NC now and not having any certed vehicles except a vanguard and transport valk is quite punishing. Would have quit and just gone back to my VS & TR if it wasn't for the good NC squad I found to play with.

A central NA server would be welcome to boost population. Nothing stops bad lag and unreliable connections from joining as it is anyways, and soltech quarantine transfers hopefully took care of that mess some.
  13. TR5L4Y3R

i would just go and remove the secondary weaponslot, put all weapons into the primary slot and reballance accordingly ...
  14. adamts01

Not with the rock paper scissors way Daybreak balances vehicle weapons.

Imagine every foot soldier had 6 rifles to choose from. Rifle 1 worked against HAs, 2 works against LAs, 3 worked against medics....

That's how Daybreak balances vehicle weapons. And to make matters worse, aircraft are few and far between.

I really think the vehicle game would be better if every gun was a little more effective against everything, with an edge towards its specialty. Nothing is more frustrating than happening across the only other vehicle out there and having a gun that can only tickle it. Infantry doesn't have that problem. They may have a long range gun in a cqb situation, but with enough skill they can stand a chance. Just like air needs some novice weapons like infantry have, vehicles need more jack of all trades guns so they can spend more time fighting and less time playing rock paper scissors with other vehicles.
  15. OgreMarkX

Welcome back Adam, I hope Prison wasn't too hard on ya!
  16. adamts01

I've somehow never even been arrested in all my years of shinanigans. Not saying I didn't deserve it on multiple occasions...
  17. OgreMarkX

/reported
  18. TR5L4Y3R

infantry vs infantry might be in a good state, but infantry vs vehicles is not ... medics can´t defend themselfes while having to keep their squad alive .. infils lack any AV option were they could take out at least one meaningful spawnpoint blackopsstyle
    engineers lack AA capability which would be easily fixed by giving the manaturrets more pitch ... the only 2 classes to offer some overall AV/AA capability are maxes and HA assaults ... LA rockletrifles require either do be close up for a effective magdumb or have to plink from range .. against aircraft that is VERY dificult ...

rather DBG ballances on infantry, light armor and heavy armor ...

coyotes may do more damage to heavy armor than they do to light armor f.e. even if some vehicles do have specific damagevalues against certain weapons ...
    still the recent ballancing way might be much better than before were they had countless damagetypeweapons were they decreased the amount now drastically ...
  19. adamts01

That's a while other mess. I've always thought super strong but limited AV launchers would be a great option. But nope, all the rocket primaries won't have it. As long as rockets can be endlessly spammed, they have to be weak. But I still think LAs are more than adequate. A Kobalt is the si gle thing you have to worry about, but I rarely see them on tanks because it's suicide if they run in to another vehicle.

As for infantry vs air, I think small arms should damage everything, and absolutely wreck ESF. I'd much rather have that as infantry, and much rather have that than fight against lock ons and flak.

I like the simplicity of the current damage model, but it doesn't work. Almost everything was better before CAI.