How much does KILL/DEATH (KD) mean for planetside players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Commandoo, Jul 19, 2019.

1. iller

And I'm saying that's completely wrong because I've been in Armor Squads and air squads and plenty of Sniping duels.... enough to know that your K/D stops being padded the instant there's such a thing as "Counter Play".

Hell, if two small opposing Squads start building Player bases closer to eachother, even their Cortium farming goes way down too because they're so busy doing aggressive "early game' moves like you'd see in a Starcraft ladder map to disrupt the other guys before they can 'Tech Up' and spam Glaive/Fail or drop an Orbital. The same thing happens in all "unsanctioned" counterplay opportunities in this game when people specifically meet head to head on the open field and actually DEAL with eachother instead of ignoring that element of the game

Don't act like there's no Padding in pure Infantry either. ...Or that the vast majority of plebs who look at their K/D also ONLY get their stats from Recursion/DasAnfall instead of just trusting the in game UI where C4 and Revives pad the hell out of their K/D (esp in Biolabs and biolab like farm bases which is the constant safespace of the necromancer minion)
  2. Money

I spend a lot of time in a stalker cloak on off bases holding off opposing stalker cloakers looking to get ghost caps. Makes for a terrible score per minute and even worse KDR but at times the job is vital to our faction moving our front lines forward. Sometimes not a very exiting playstyle, but can be nerve racking listening for cloak sounds and looking for visual clues when the hunt is on!
  3. Commandoo

So I read on here about stat paddling or seen a topic and I asked in clanchat what it is and someone said it's getting groups or single people from other fractions to group to kill each other and revive for stats i.e. Kills and deaths

Is this common to stad paddle a kill to death to make the profile look amazing?
  4. iller

No that's full on TOS violation there and players were suspended for it according to at least 1 Developer. It's Not the "Padding" we're talking about here where you spam Ambusher C4's into groups of Infantry or stand just outside a spawn Shield trading headshots with enemy players while being constantly revived by a Medic inside the spawn Shield.
  5. TR5L4Y3R

KD to me means jack, i´ll just go and have fun, that´s it ...
  6. TR5L4Y3R

annnnnd here is were you are horribly wrong ....

you do realize this game has supportclasses, right ? .. you are saying that these supportclasses should be incentivised for better K/D when their main task is to get a attack going either through heals and revives, and repair and rearming thus their K/D on average is going to be low cause of a different focus .... saying to incentivise K/D means to either focus less on the supposed role or rather asking to change class that is more favorable torwards K/D ... shall we all play infiltrator now?

K/D is meaningless it DOES NOT matter ... it´s a very vague value by itself ... it doesn´t say how many you killed in what time, it doesn´t say what you killed how many times, what you focused on ... or simplier put there is no information how much damage you dealt torward various targets, either as AI infantry, either as AV infantry or respective vehicle how many people did you revive, how many on average per minute? how much health did you restore as either medic or engineer? ..
    there are many more informative and helpful values than K/D ... and that is what DBG/PS 2 should have implemented ..

the biggest mistake of this game is to put kills on the forefront of information, it incetivises bad gameplay on weapons that are meant for support, it incentives bad gameplay in general when you are a supportclass ..
    or your weapon is more meant to deter targets than killing them ...

this is a teamgame ... K/D of all things should not be incentivised AT ALL compared to other playstyles ....
    • Up x 2
  7. Skraggz

Spm before multipliers is more of a leading stat than anything else imo. Even alone ivi kdr is a bad metric.
  8. TR5L4Y3R

sorry what´s spm?
    shots per minute?
    i mean you could add your performance on a weapon with how accurate you are, average shots fired, average dmg dealt and such ... HSs, bodyshots, shots on the legs ...
  9. Skraggz

Score
    • Up x 1
  10. JibbaJabba

Yes KD matters.

Your KD should matter to you. But, don't worry about what others have or what they think of yours.

Why do I say this? Because KD by some degree is a measure of fun. If you are having some session where your KD is much lower than whatever YOUR normal is, then chances are you aren't having a ton of fun.

I would indeed encourage you to work on getting your KD up. It will help you have more fun in the game. I'm not talking about the frontline heavy assault either. Being able to simply kill someone in a 1v1 applies to all playstyles. The engy needs to kill the LA going for the sundy. The medic needs to stabilize the firelane before he stabilizes patients.

So even if you are NOT the assault charging the point, you will absolutely have more fun in the game if you can win engagements.

The frontline assaults that are making killing people a main focus of their gameplay? KD ain't the stat. It's KPM. You can't have a good KPM without HSR/KDR and lots of other stuff already being right.

The good news is it ain't that hard. Moving from a 0.5 to 1.0 or from 1.0 to 1.5 is pretty easy. I don't mean your overall lifetime stat but last 1000 kills. If you choose to "get gud", it's easy to move these numbers. The hard stuff is moving from like 2.0 to 3.0 or higher...but you just don't need to be a killer like that to have fun.
  11. LodeTria

KPM is a better stat than K/D anyway.

Also I see the bads are trying to justify their "med tool primary" playstyle again.
  12. TR5L4Y3R

yes and they totaly give a crap about your opinion ....
  13. LodeTria

bot people can rarely form an opnion worth listening to anyway.
  14. JibbaJabba

I'm curious what on earth you mean by this?
  15. TR5L4Y3R

whatever you say bot ...
  16. Skraggz

Probably was simply drooling on the keyboard....
  17. LodeTria

Med tool primary people love to comment on game balance or skill or whatever all the time. They just don't know they are worth jack **** and belong in farm videos and nothing more.
  18. TR5L4Y3R

i rather take the how over the how much or what .... i can die 10 times and still have fun blowing up a sunderer along with 5 planetmans on a succesfull AVmines + grenadecombo or alohasnackbar-flash ... heck just the attempt itself can be fun even if failing ..

i´m not saying you are wrong but to some (me included) the degree of K/D is a neglible matter torwards the funfactor ...

in mechwarrior online i dare say my degree on of enjoyment has even more factors than just personal performance ...

i can do realy well for myself (doing killing blows, kills-most-damage-dealt or a high ammount of overall damage dealt like 800 damage which is quite a lot for that game) and still be pissed off that we lost like 3 or 4 matches 4 to 12 (the ammount of mechs having been destroyed) or worse in a row ..

because of how sandboxy PS2 is losing basecapture- or basedefenseattepts or losing events or alerts impacts my degree of enjoyment less ...
  19. JibbaJabba

no no, don't get me wrong it's not some die hard rule. Just something to use as self-guidance.

And it's very, very much relative.

If you're an LA taking 5 suicide runs in a row at a sundy and finally get him? You might have some 0.2 KD and be having an absolute blast doing it.

What I'm kinda getting at is if you could pull of a 0.5KD because you're able to win some 1v1s on the way to the sundy, and kill it on the second time, not the 5th.

So that's what I mean when I say folks should try to improve KD. Generally if you're winning those fights it's more fun. Heck if nothing else it means you are spending less time walking back from the spawn... the most boring choose-your-own-adventure of all :p
    • Up x 1
  20. Gustavo M

Bragging about (your own) KDR in a team-focused game is like trying to reason/argue with an autistic kid.