So it’s true! People with good connections get punished

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Jul 4, 2019.

1. OneShadowWarrior

So I have played Connery being West Coast based since the beginning and I always snickered at asian players and people with high ping.

So to put it to the test, I went to Emerald and built a tune from scratch. I could actually feel myself warp, I could actually see players appear and disappear and when server latency went to the toilet during high load with players, I held the edge. Not only could they not react before realizing my shots hit them. I also held the edge with maneuverability by warping due to having a bad connection.

So it is true! People with good connections get punished, people with bad connections hold the edge!
  2. Skraggz

Erm, you shouldn't "feel yourself wapring" the game should run like normal on your end, and the advantage to be had should be the enemy players seem to s tr and still. Allowing you to clear a corner shoot and allowing your client to tell the servers when the packet goes through "hey excuse me I killed him" and the server trusts the client and said enemy dies. Again you shouldn't feel anything on your end outside of enemies just standing around to often.
  3. AlcyoneSerene

Interesting result. I've played on Connery but ping there is also good and haven't experienced anything unusual. I sometimes play with friends from Europe and they too don't report anything too unusual. Haven't had a chance to play on EU servers yet.

Not doubting your feedback, but it's clearly something more than just one's ping that makes it possible for certain players to consistently have the upper hand, teleportation, jittery movement, appearing from thin air, taking no damage, doing things faster, etc., or there's different levels to having an unfair network advantage - something SOE or whoever designed the game clearly never looked into and patched up or at the -very least- made some effort to buff away for more competitive and fun gameplay.

Can't help but wonder how big the PS2 community might have been if players haven't had to deal with the complete and utterly nonsensical network interactions on a nearly constant basis.

If I bothered video capturing and making a complication of how -truly ridiculous- this game comes across on steady normal good ping on a local server, it would not be pretty.

At least one player describes what happens in this topic. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...uper-fast-pretty-sure-it-isnt-a-cheat.252094/
  4. typnct

From my experience back when i had my bad isp compared to now and playing on us servers:
    15-50 - total advantage over everyone higher than 80 ping as you register shots way before them
    60-80 ping - nothing special
    100-130 you constantly get killed behind walls or kill someone like it,
    advantage:assault
    Disadvantage:defense
    230-300 - you are a shotgun god
  5. vonRichtschuetz

I have like 25ish ping on Miller, 120+ on Emerald and 220+ on Connery.
    Miller - by far - feels the best to play. Higher ping usually means getting killed when trying to get into cover moreoften; also more 1v1 engagements end with me and the other guy both dead.

If you experience warping that's not because of latency alone.
  6. Twin Suns

Out of region, high pingerz. *sigh* It's like a bunch of juvenile Banthas taken a dump on my Tusken tribe's best rug. :)
  7. adamts01

I've had both, as I travel from the States to Asia now and then. It's absolutely easy to abuse high ping to your advantage. But it's cheesy and kind of ruins things. I'd chose a good connection all day every day. But, I've talked to guys who would otherwise be in the low double digits use a VPN to tune their latency to 400 and absolutely murder.

This game needs server transfers and a ping limit in a bad way.
  8. JibbaJabba

If you are a good clientside player you can eek out some advantage from high latency.

So for the kills you do get, you'll feel it maybe. Feel like you had a bit of an advantage.

But then you're gonna notice the subtle.
    YOU get client sided all the time. Your targets you'll get a drop on. But the rest of the server you ain't targeting will get a drop on you.
    You'll also notice the "dump a clip into them" effect. Truth is your 5th shot killed them. You didn't get the notification until after your 10th bullet though. If you're really good, you can "assume" the kill and break off early, but good luck with that.

TL;DR: Yes it's a double edged sword but in truth the sharper edge is pointing towards you.
  9. Savadrin

Unless you're running pumps or the OHKnife stalker mode, which is hilarious if you have no respect for human life.
  10. OneShadowWarrior

All this time I played Connery, I should have been on Emerald. I thought ping times below 30ms mattered on the West Coast.

Ironic how with ping and latency well over 100 ms, I actually do better.