So, what do people hate about this spawn system?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scroffel5, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Scroffel5

I really don't understand what people are hating about the spawn system. As far as I have seen, if you attack a base and all the spawns are taken out, it takes a while for you to spawn at the last base, which to me is fine. It gives the other faction an opportunity to attack or prepare to defend again before another set of vehicles comes back to attack that base.

Then, I think sometimes when someone is backcapping you, you can't spawn at the base or it takes a while for you to spawn. What is the problem with that? It gives attackers time before a whole squad just redeploys back into a base. That seems fair, because I hate being the one to backcap a base and then I get overrun by a whole squad soon after I flip the point. As for the defenders, it gives them the opportunity to go back to the base before and pull vehicles to destroy the sundy, so I don't get what people are complaining about.
  2. I'm so dead

I don't have almost no issue with the current spawn system. Main issue for me is at Bio-lab mostly. That spawn system at the bio-lab is horrible. I understand of them wanting players to take out the nearby zones but sometimes that is just not possible.
  3. JibbaJabba

I am in an active fight and suddenly I can no longer fight there unless I transport myself in from elsewhere one life at a time.

It's utterly stupid and ruins fun.

I also hate that it's ruined the playstyle of my outfit. We count on setting up early on a base then pointholding as the enemy population climbs to 60, 70, 80% (we die a LOT but it's glorious when we pull it off). Now this doesn't happen. We win 50/50 or 40/60 at best.
    • Up x 6
  4. Campagne

I just never get to spawn where I want.

In a fun fight? Too bad. Want to fight at a better base nearby? Too bad. What to not fight against an overpop? Too bad. Want to play at all? Too ******' bad.

It seems like it does the exact opposite of what it was meant to do.
    • Up x 4
  5. Crayv

I notice people are starting to try and find ways around it by deploying Sundies just outside of the hex so you can spawn there and take 2 steps in to be considered at the base.

The spawn system is really a band-aid fix of a much bigger problem. The maps have too many bases and lattice connections (Hossin looks like a busted windshield) and the bases are made to be death match maps and there is no attrition.
    • Up x 2
  6. Generic Internetter

7. AlcyoneSerene

Ceres Hydroponics, VS owned, spawned at a sundy in that hex, 64% NC attacking, attack marker on it, walked to crown (connected lattice), can't spawn back to VS base to defend.

The completely pointless 15 sec timers that happen randomly to respawn at the sundy you just spawned in.

Endless examples that make the LOG OUT button more appealing than pulling yet another flash to commute.
    • Up x 1
  8. vonRichtschuetz

I'd like to be able to spawn one base back after losing a base. "Nope sorry, you have like 10 people there and only 2 enemies. You'll have to wait until the complete enemy zerg has arrived and is already starting capture until you can start defending."
    • Up x 1
  9. Twin Suns

Personally, its done wonders for me.

I've let my sub run out. I've also been branching out playing other games and meeting new people along the way.

o7
    • Up x 3
  10. OgreMarkX

The spawn system is almost as bad as the design for construction. It takes away from the game. All so one guy at DBG can centrally plan how many people are at a fight (in his head).

In reality he cannot plan for all the scenarios that arise after he puts in delays.

1. Drive a sundy and deploy, get sniped repairing it, can't get back because of Wrel Math. Sundy dies. You just wasted all your time.
    2. Some players fly or drive thru a hex, TOO BAD NOW YOU CANT SPAWN THERE.
    3. Having fun in a fight, is that fight along an INVISIBLE HEX BOUNDARY? Die? TOO BAD FIGHT OVER FOR YOU.
    4. Trying to prepare a defense or lay the groundwork for an attack? TOO BAD WREL MATH.
    5. Can't get back to the HUGE and FUN FIGHT? Wrel says, drive or fly back. Oh wait wut? You're the guy who owns the sundy keeping the fight going? Gee I never thought of that scenario....

In a nutshell, Wrel's spawn design does one thing well: IT MAKES IT HARDER TO GET IN THE FIGHT.

But Planetside 2 was never about the fight. It was never about the MMO (MASSIVE FIGHT), right? I mean based on design...

Oh no no no...

Planetside 2 was always about MLG ******** (remember back when SOE put their budget into MLG bs? I do, Pepperidge farms does too).
    Planetside 2 was always about unrewarding effort vs reward of playing support or building a base.
    Planetside 2 was always about being able to spawn in 30 UNDESIRABLE locations and be denied spawning in the ONE desirable location. Because, hipster logic.
    Planetside 2 was always about one guy not understanding how to create in lieu of his desire to control, it was always about one guy who doesn't understand that the best design is the one that SUPPORTS the reason CUSTOMERS play and pay, not the one design that detracts.

I cancelled 3 of 4 paid accounts, those 3 were active for around 15 years. This is my fourth account, active and paid since 1999.

It will likely close soon.

Camelot Unchained.
    • Up x 2
  11. Skraggz

It feels like we are getting punished for playing the game. It is an multiplayer FPS, you are expected to die, not stare at a respawn screen for 15+ seconds.
  12. Liewec123

Where to begin.

The 25 second wait time just to spawn one base back?

The system favouring zergs, your team has 70 percent overpop at that base on the other side of the map? Priority spawn!

The inability to spawn at your closest ally base to spawn a vehicle,

Everything is wrong with this crappy spawn system, it was FINE before, so DBG broke it, as they do everything.
    • Up x 1
  13. Scroffel5

I think that vehicles should play a bigger part in getting from base to base, instead of redeploying. What if the long wait times from a base back were so that the players who choose to spawn there wait for it while the others get vehicles from the base before it and come back, since that spawn timer is extremely fast? What if that is what they were trying to do and everyone was overlooking that part of it?
  14. Skraggz

Vehicles are not an unlimited source. They are gated by yet again another timer. Nanites, also some of those empty bases even have 15+ second timers to spawn in.

At the end of the day everyone's issue with the spawn system boils down to.... too much damn down time.
    • Up x 3
  15. AlcyoneSerene

This worked fine before 'they' decided to mess it all up with this unnecessary revamp, it would sort of randomly cycle through:
    - spawn in offensive or defensive bases & spawn points instantly
    - spawn after a short wait
    - spawn after a longer wait
    - make use of the somewhat annoying spawn-hop mechanic
    - just decide to pull support armor from the previous base

Point is, in my extensive experience with it, it worked, it kept the game enjoyable, squads were able to keep up with platoon waypoints, armor and transport was still pulled just the same.

Now no more of this, because some developer thought up some scenarios in his head without playing his own game, and the endless tinkering commences, prone to bugs, and neglect for months and probably years, destroying the flow of an -open world game- by imposing bizarre restrictions to artificially alter what he himself perceives the game should be played like, instead of letting the players learn, adapt, and organize accordingly to the naturally chaotic nature of -an open world game-.
    • Up x 1
  16. Scroffel5

I mean, yeah it worked, but the average player probably hasn't thought to do that. What if that was kind of just "soldier conditioning" so that they have a reason to do that. Strategically, it is a good move to go back to the previous base and pull a ton of tanks, because even if you are outpopped, you are about to do some serious damage. It is a big surprise for a whole group of tanks to come from the previous base. That gives you the opportunity to flank instead of coming right at them. What if they were trying to do that?
  17. Scroffel5

And then yeah, squads were able to do that, but they got to based to defend very, very fast, and that is annoying for a new player. You have went through the work of starting an attack, your team hasn't even come to help you yet, and then it is a 1 vs 12 because a squad came up to stop a loner. If you go through the work of backcapping a base when you are at a standstill, you know how annoying it was for them to immediately come back. Now, it gives the attackers more time to get situated with a backcap before the defenders can get there, which in turn gives the attackers at the standstill time to clean up where they were at, destroy the sundies, and push to the backcap. Sure, it is annoying to have downtime, but look at the bright side. It gives the defenders an opportunity to bring armor from the other base and defend better, and downtime gives you time to think and plan.
  18. AlcyoneSerene

Yes bases did get fast defenses in, which meant attacks had to be more coordinated by squads, everyone dropping in or spawning in at once, but that meant less zerg and more balanced fights happening since players had the freedom to respond be it defenses or offenses. One of the points was to minimize zergs, but this has the exact opposite effect.

Stalemates happen now as before just the same, just need for the squads to keep trying different lanes or strategies (armor, etc.) until the opposition fails to anticipate or defend appropriately, which again is player choice, not forced by developer-imposed rigid system to give attacking squads artificial boosts.

Defenders always had the opportunity to bring armor form another base before just the same, and armor isn't the solution to a cap with few minutes in unless you can destroy all deploy armors and then take out any beacons and then routers and then also push everyone off point by which time the base will have been long capped. The enforced downtime does nothing but cut you out of the action. Those random 15 sec artificial redeploy timers at sundies is completely meaningless too.
  19. gunnner10

In short, I now spend more time trying to get to the fight rather than being in the fight
  20. IcEzEbRa

This is really irritating, I spawn a sundie, deploy at next base, but someone back-caps the previous base....I re-deploy to deal with 1 enemy ghost capping, and then I cannot re-deploy to my Sundie one base away