Everything is too fair

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Caoo, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Caoo

@DayBreak / @Developers

When PS2 first launched the world was not perfect and full of exploits and unbalanced 'stuff'. While it is right to balance things so as to ensure the game remains fun for everyone, I can't help but feel over the last few years PS2 has been going to far.

I have tried my best to support the game/developers whenever I could by getting membership and purchasing your DB cash despite not really using it; it was not easy, as I was a still a poor student when I paid for the first sub, but I really believed PS2 was going somewhere.

However nowadays it doesn't really matter what gun you have. It doesn't really matter what load out you have. Heck, even if it is tank vs infantry it matters little anymore (e.g. walling off areas, explosive nerf, LA rockets). Everything just feels so normal that you can't find those special moments anymore.

A while ago when DB was considering nerfing NC maxes, someone from the forum told me that they didn't like ANY rock paper scissor element in the game, and that they felt NC maxes was too dominant in infantry combat. Maybe I'm strange, but I really enjoyed killing NC maxes as well as being an NC max. It can be frustrating at times, but that's what made those moments special for me.

I'm not telling anyone how to design a game, and nor am I disregarding what other people feel/believe/think. It is just that for me, the NC max nerf was the final nail for me.

Thank you Planetside 2, it was really fun playing you. I think it is now time for me to join my friends and finally permanently quit.

As for those who still find enjoyment in the game, I'm glad that is the case. Please continue supporting the game.
    • Up x 1
  2. Beerbeerbeer

I agree that this game needs more asymmetry regardless of the whines and balance complaints. It’s what makes this game so unique, fun and interesting. It makes you want to try everything to see if the grass is really greener.

PS1 had a clear theme and dichotomy:

NC: Close, slow ROF and powerful
    TR: High ROF and large magazines
    VS: Lasers...

This presented a unique asymmetry in engagements where one empire would hold a slight advantage over another in certain scenarios. These clear differences defined the game.

This game needs the empires to move back towards that theme.
    • Up x 4
  3. VeryCoolMiller

I totally disagree. It's balance what make a game great... and this game is nowadays quite balanced with some exceptions .
    NC maxes were a cancer since release... glad you enjoyed to kill one ... i personally hated any single encounter with them... and simply skipped any bio lab fight vs nc maxes in the last 5 years.
  4. Pikachu

Someone complaining that PS2 is too balanced? Now I have seen everything. o_O
    • Up x 2
  5. Scroffel5

I understand where you are coming from. I like the idea of advantage and disadvantage, RPS, y'know? If TR had an advantage over NC, who had an advantage over VS, who had an advantage over TR, I would enjoy that. Then picking your faction would impact the game even more.
  6. Scroffel5

Or for instance, their weapon class had the advantage over the other factions weapon class, i.e Vanu semi snipers over TR and NCs semi snipers and NCs shotguns over VS and TRs shotguns and TRs carbines over NC and VSs carbines. I'd like that. It would make things more faction specific.
  7. Liewec123

indeed, alas whiners have bought the game to its knees,
    i still haven't and will never forgive the whiners for what they've done to NC max.
  8. Pondera

Agreed completely. The whiners are what helped make the game what it is. Its why air combat is a joke where nose guns and hover duels are the only things that matter. Its why there are roaming gangs of mad max harassers that can take 3 tank shot blasts and have a faster TTK than armor piercing tank rounds. Bonus points that you cant get away from them once they get started. Its like being pulled over by a cop. You just stop, sigh, and wait for your expensive ticket. And its why the NC MAX is now the least threatening thing in the game. When I see one, I just keep shooting with a LMG. What are they going to do about it? Factional strength and weakness has largely disappeared, save for NC who seem to be awful at everything. Its all homogenized with little that is cool or interesting. Your factional choice determines what uniform you get and what cosmetics yoi can buy.

Thats kind of why I was thinking of giving the game a bit of a break. That and the nightly weapon locks.
  9. KastianJJ

The issue is they made too many faction guns, so nothing can be distinct. What would've been smart was 1/2 faction specific guns focusing being better then the rest at it's area. Planet Side 1 was easier to balance faction stuff because there was what 4 faction guns and 4 faction vehichles (buggy/light transport/heavy transport/MBT). Vehicle load outs where not a thing, which made vehicles less OP too. The issue is there is too many things to balance.

Everyone should've got a faction based gun. Say TR have high RoF gun, they could've made lets say 125 damage but really high RoF their thing, then 200 damage was NC thing and maybe give Vanu 167 damage type. Then make 143/160/180 the NS gun types.