Drastic performance decrease after DX11.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, May 21, 2019.

1. Kristan

So many people praising DX11 patch for performance increase, but for some reason for me it went otherwise. I've been playing on Medium settings, and it was quite tolerable, not that smooth, but manageable. For now I switched to Low, because I couldn't kill anybody. And I'd live with eye hurting texture quality, but there is other issue - cloaked stuff. It was already noted that on Low settings Infils and Sundies, even friendly, are completely invisible and can not be spotted by darklight. But wait, there is more! Playing HA is impossible. As soon as I activate HA's overshield my FPS drops by 20, and even more while aiming.

I've seen similar topics of people who had performance issues too, maybe there were solutions, but I can't find them anymore.
    • Up x 1
  2. icufos

What are your pc specs?
  3. Kristan

i7-4790 3.60 GHz Quad, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 760, Windows 10
  4. ObiVanuKenobi

You can set only "graphics quality" to medium and have visible cloak.
    Textures have no impact on performance in this game so ultra is ok if that's what you like. Unless your gpu has only 1gb vram.
    Biggest fps boost you can get is probably from lowering the render quality slider. Going to 70% almost doubled my fps after the dx11 patch.
  5. icufos

I have ..
    i5 4670k 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, RX 580 8GB, Windows 7
    and it runs fine at high and ultra, no shadows. Exact settings here.. https://thenitwitts.enjin.com/forum.../32664774-planetside-2-dx11-graphics-showcase
    I changed textures to high and increased render distance to 6000 later.
    I've put smoothing on now but think with the RX 580 it runs better off?

Your weak point is the GPU..
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-760-vs-AMD-RX-580/2159vs3923
  6. Kristan

Yeah, I know, I've tried that and my FPS have returned to 40-50, while everything else still looks like crap.

Also tested out HA overshield on Low settings. At the Warpgate it goes from 120 FPS to 60, and to 40 while aiming. :eek:
  7. OneShadowWarrior

Server stability not helping the issue and all the bugs have me blaming my rig, then I realize it’s the game not my PC.
  8. LaLaBear

Make sure your resolution is optimized for your screen. It tends to reset itself and makes the game look terrible.

That said I used to have 120fps consistently with low graphics, ultra particles and textures. Sometimes it would drop a little for huge airballs or large fights but it doesn't give the same performance on dx11. I've even had below 30 in heavy flak after the update. Any drop under 100fps is extremely noticeable on my screen. Pop has increased significantly on Emerald though so that could be a partial factor.
    gtx1060 & Intel i7 6700HQ, 144hz monitor