Can we get rid of weapon lock already?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pondera, May 5, 2019.

1. Pondera

I know, I get it. People on the internet will be jerks and TK all day long just because they can. But with flash bangs, smoke grenades, and the hectic nature of the game, accidents will happen. A LOT. Especially if you're really kicking *** and are nursing a 67 kill night. It got to the point where a single bullet touching an ally caused a weapon locked. Guy got rezzed right in front of me? Weapon lock. Guy rambo'd out and ran into the doorway I was suppressing? weapon lock. Charged right into a grenade hurled at a nest of NC? Weapon locked. I'm not a TKer by any means, and have been playing this game for years, but this really needs to be addressed. Fortunately, I came prepared for class with more than just whining. I have some suggestions!

I've recently been playing a game called Mordhau and it features a few features that would be some very welcome quality of life fixes for this game. First, weapon damage toward allies is reduced to 1/5 normal levels. Everyone hates being TK'd, so why not build this anti-frustration feature toward those of the same faction? And this flows into my next suggestion of removing some score based on the amount of damage you inflict. If your actions lead to someone's death, a kill is removed from your records, impacting your precious K/D ratio.

So how about it, Daybreak? Is it not time, with the advent of DX11 support and 4th factioning, to finally remove this annoying, antiquated system that punishes you for playing the game?
  2. Skraggz

No, again this would promote things like grenade spamming and shot gun spamming on points. Friendly fire needs to be in place and you need to be punished for it. 1 TK is not enough to lock, you need to be more mindful of what you are doing.
    • Up x 6
  3. lukenukeum

get out of the cert farm gang bangs, no we wont disable FF so you can cert farm more efficiently.
    • Up x 1
  4. Twin Suns

Nope, it's a Skill Check. :)
    • Up x 4
  5. Pondera

Well, I'd go with that, save for the fact that, by the NC's own admission at the time, this is what they were trying to do with the smoke grenade spam. And honestly, isn't removing of exp punishment enough for friendly fire? Do it enough, and you could end with fewer certs than when you started

And why not? I was certainly enjoying myself, which is the point of a game, is it not?
  6. Magma52

Sorry, but I couldn't condone this at all. It is 100% necessary, and probably needs buffing to be honest.

The only thing they could finally fix is that rare collision bug where your vehicle is stuck a hole or trench, and the continued damage your vehicle receives is somehow interpreted by the game as an attack on your empire and bam you get a weapon lock.
    • Up x 1
  7. Demigan

Friendly fire is far too important to the game, its one of the most important ways people interact with each other as they try to avoid shooting each other and it prevents players from just shooting at everything that moves on the off-chance that it might be an enemy or not caring of there's allies nearby that might have their shots blocked. It also allows players to throw explosives in friendly blobs to clear out enemies with little concern.

That isnt to say the weapon lock feature cant be changed. I've been weapon locked for sitting in a mass vehicle column where vehicles bumped me from all sides, or having players continuously run up the road without a care, or recently because the Spitfire continuously shoots and damages friendlies. After being weapon locked once the speed which it'll happen again is too great. I quite literally have to suicide any vehicle for fear of someone else ramming it and giving me another weapon lock immediately, and forget about fighting alongside your allies as any shot can potentially lock you.

My changes would be focused on how you get grief points and what happens as they accumulate. If you hit allies while there's enemies nearby, especially if you manage to hit the enemies within seconds after hitting an ally, you should get much less griefpoints UNLESS you kill someone for more than 50% of their health, to discourage people from saying "well I get less griefpoints so I'll just kill anyone and everyone who gets in my way".
    Dealing consistent damage to enemies would reduce your griefpoints, allowing players to keep going even if they accidentally hit people occasionally. Repeated killing of the same player will deactivate this.
    Vehicle players should always get lowered griefpoints as long as they deal more damage to enemies than allies. Its far too easy to rack up griefpoints even when driving carefully. Just yesterday I got weaponlocked because hordes of people thought it a good idea to run against my ANT and try to walk through me regardless of me driving slowly or standing still. When asked they responded that they could clip through me if they kept walking, which to them somehow justified getting crushed if I moved.

As grief point accumulate an empathy system kicks in. Dealing damage to allies will start dealing a % of damage to you as well (without reducing damage to the allies!). Should you still reach weapon lock, any supportive actions are still available like healing, reviving and repairing.
    • Up x 2
  8. VeryCoolMiller

In 6 years of playing I got my weapons locked 1 or 2 times.... And i was firing on purpose on a TR *******.
    • Up x 2
  9. JobiWan

I've never had weapons lock in about 6 years of playing, on any character.
    • Up x 3
  10. AlcyoneSerene

This is the wide open internet. The answer to that is no.

Just last night had a BR0 C4 a group of friendly maxes taking cover behind a hill.

Buff weapons lock.
    • Up x 1
  11. Edenwolf

People who complain about the weapon lock are the ones who need to work on their trigger happy finger the most, thank god for weapon lock. I get locked maybe once every two months at most.
    • Up x 1
  12. LodeTria

Stop shooting your team-mates and you'll be fine.
    The FF lock is already very lax.
    • Up x 3
  13. Scrundle

In fine NC tradition my killfeed sports a healthy amount of friendlies but even so i've never had a weapons lock.
    When you get that final warning it's time to stop doing whatever it is you're doing and realise it isn't other people just walking into your line of fire anymore;
    A few TK's? Accidents. Weapons Lock? You're doing something seriously wrong. Weapons lock happens often to you? You may be deserving of a suspension or something I don't know but you're spoiling the game for other people.
  14. JibbaJabba

I'm what 4000+hrs in the game, 6 mebe?

I've been weapon locked 3 times.
    1. During some spawn bug my galaxy "co-spawned" with a stack of other vehicles exploding all of them and instantly weapon locking me.
    2. During one of my earlier experiences with the Lasher.
    3. During the J-9000 Invitational Harasser death race where it locked purely from collisions.

You need to work on reducing your friendly fire, sir.

Go work a different corner if that one is over occupied....
    Perhaps reconsider that grenade altogether....

The FF weapon lock does not need adjusted.
    • Up x 3
  15. Towie

Same. Since early 2013. AND i've killed my fair share of friendlies - you really must be trying to get a lock as far as i'm concerned.
    • Up x 5
  16. Demigan

I say you guys are simply Lucky. I've been locked many times and never EVER has it been my fault. When I'm plugging a hole with a tank and racking up enemy kills and one moron after the other decides to take cover behind my tank (tanks have a tendency to drive backwards when engaged and looking for cover) or doing a dance in front of my turret without being able to stop the enemy flow if I dont fire, I'll drive over them and fire every single time. They make me choose between losing my tank+the enemy gaining ground and their lives, is that any any choice at all? Why should I stop what I'm doing if they cause the problem?

Have you ever held a doorway, balls-to-the-wall gameplay with equal numbers where the entire base is on a knife's edge who's going to get it, and there's just too many greedy people jumping in front of you? You arent killing any of them, but you get Final warnings and potential weapon locks anyway. Not because you are doing a bad job, but because you cant predict some moron from running through you while you are sitting still and firing your gun? There are some spots in battle that just invite it, but I'll be damned if I give up because of someone else. I might pull the trigger, but when my crosshairs are on enemies and allies decide to run through there is little fault of mine if I do the decent thing and dont mow the idiots down for running through my line of fire and keep holding fire if friendlies are in front.
  17. JibbaJabba

Yes man. I've had these experiences. I would have to go math up all my characters but I've sunk like 4-6k hours in the game so yeah, I've seen it no matter what it is.

If I've got a bead on an enemy and I'm firing and someone comes through... I won't lift. I'll cut them down and finish the enemy. I'll try to avoid running over people like anyone, but yeah it happens.

I've gotten my final warning many, many times but I don't get locked. It's completely controllable and there is enough cushion before the lock occurs that normal stuff can happen and not get you locked. You can definitely back over some guys to retreat from enemy tank fire and won't get locked. If you do it so much you get locked though, that's on you. Change something about what you're doing to prevent it.
  18. JibbaJabba

I can tell DBG how to fix it though.

Set it so friendly fire does 50% damage to friendlies and 10% kickback to the source of the FF damage.

Turn off weapon lock. You'll never need the feature again. Mind you those of you that hate weapon lock will hate this worse.
    • Up x 1
  19. Demigan

Funny (no sarcasm intended) how to you a weapon lock is always the locked person's fault, but your idea is more lenient than mine.

FF should always be 100%. If forced to choose between decreasing it to 50% or increasing to 150% I would even pick 150%. Its far too an important part of allied interaction.

Any friendly fire should punish deliberate users and be more lenient on accidental or unavoidable hits. You c4 a friendly tank with no one nearby and you should go from spotless to on the edge of locked. If you hit an ally while scoring multitudes more on enemies the punishment should be nigh non-existant. Repeat kills should be punished more and more.

Its one reason I'm a fan of an empathy system where the player starts receiving damage himself when dealing damage to allies. Anyone who still manages to get grief points despite being able to reduce them with good behaviour should be well and truly punished for it.
  20. Twin Suns

Please control you're ordinance.

o7
    • Up x 1