Why Planetside 2 should relaunch in 2019

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GamerGuardian22, Nov 17, 2018.

1. GamerGuardian22

Think about it. How many times have you played a game like Planetside 2? You might say "well theirs Battle field" I'm gonna stop you there. There's no other FPS game like Planetside franchise. In no other game you can have hundreds of infantry, tanks, vehicles, and aircraft fighting on one server in epic war.

Why am i telling you this since your a dedicated Planetside fan? Well this is what a potentially new Planetside 2 player should see. Really right now for most new people is a better tutorial, and what everyone else that already plays the game, or used to is a new Continent. 1 of which were already getting. We need to get a better tutorial and raise money for marketing and Oshur development.

If the devs make one big update with all of this stuff and maybe some new weapons they could hype up the game and get a lot of new players (that will stay because of new tutorial) then it will pay some big bucks. More money means bigger dev team and a bigger dev team means more new content. They could raise some money with donations and save up some of their profits from in-game purchases to help with marketing.

Since battle Royale games are really popular this is like a way better version of them! It will help the game a lot. If you thing this is a good idea tell your friends about this post and comment. More views and comments more likely some developers will see it. If a developer is seeing this right now this game can still get popular! I've only been playing since May 2018 and i'm a Squad/Platoon leader New players can still stay and old players will come back! Remember to share this with your friends and comment so the devs might see this!

Thank you and have a good day. ~~GamerGuardian22
    • Up x 1
  2. SmittyJensen

This game needs DX11/12 support and more work offloaded to the GPU, several more maps, a much better tutorial, and a better anti-cheat mechanism.. all this coupled with more rewarding directives and faster alerts.

Get all those things together and relaunch as PS3.. maybe.

Yet I'm wondering, even if all we get is the single map and an updated tutorial, if DBG would be willing to fund a twitch promotion like I see all the time for Warframe or World of Tank? Maybe like a Planetside Battlepack consisting of a fully equipped weapon and some cosmetics.. perhaps even just the composite armor and helmet as well as a basic implant pack... and a poodle decal.

I don't think they need to spend cash on magazine or tv ads.. stuff like twitch and in-game promotions would help, but they need to fix a few underlying issues to really make it worthwhile. No use marketing the game if most people are going to get instagibbed and instaquit. Maybe there needs to be a lowbie map like in MMORPGs where battlerank (level) 14 and lower get to play with other lowbies. And I don't mean Koltyr since that rewards 0 exp. Yet on this proposed map, once they hit br15 it moves them to the real world... a thought at least.

Would have to account for griefers by checking the account to ensure it isn't just a new char on a vet account though... but that can be done too.
    • Up x 2
  3. SmittyJensen

Actually if they kept 2 maps up at all times and the warpgates acted as actual warpgates (allowing players to instantly warp between each open map) that would be cool too.
    • Up x 1
  4. iller

No, bad idea b/c Camelot Unchained will be launching then.... and it takes away the ONE thing you justified the entire relaunch on:
    ...the last time anyone played a game like Planetside2... was when DAOC & Warhammer still had hype behind them... but just like Planetside2 at launch, they were practically unplayable for most MMORPG'ers either b/c they didn't have the network Bandwidth or b/c they didn't have the Memory-Cache bandwidth (Client Framerate).

Now you could argue "but they're not Sci-Fi ! !" ... that's a minuscule difference when so many abilities in this game just boil down to "Space Magic!" (shields, rezzing, magic missiles, everything Light Assaults do, the RED ESFs going faster b/c they're RED, etc)

... the real and only difference is that planetside2 sort of kind of got their FrameRate performance hurdle under control. It's still *not* 100% Multithreading (like C.U. already does) ... but if they MADE THAT that main feature for relaunch and completely removed every single DirectX-9 & 32 bit element from the Engine that's still holding it back performance wise then I could see them actually justifying a relaunch. ...I just don't see them possibly doing that in 1 years time when they ALSO have to keep making quarterly content for this game to keep what remains of its the dwindling players it still has. ... you have to do one or the other ... either focus on rebuilding your foundational engine blocks, OR you keep making new content. It's not even clear that BLIZZARD could do that these days (I heard just this week that they suffered massive salary cuts and other funding shortages from their greedy a****ole Shareholder Overlords)

...the OTHER thing they could do to justify a relaunch.... would be a complete overwrite of its current Gunplay & NetworkCode related to that Gunplay b/c that's its single biggest problem versus all other popular shooters out there (either admit that the NetCode can't support a headshot-Critical TTK this fast, or change how it's negotiated so that Lagswtichers and Corner-poppers no longer have exclusive overwhelming advantages over everyone else)
    • Up x 1
  5. strikearrow

Marketing is the only reason this game has so few players. Most gamers that I know had never heard of Planet Side 2 - AT ALL. They have all heard of League of Legends, Counter-Strike, Mario Brothers and Warcraft for instance - even if they don't play those types of games.
  6. frozen north

Problem with such an effort is that in order to make it worth it, the dev's would need to be able to guarantee player retention. And unfortunately, this game is in need of both a graphics and an engine update. Without those changes, I don't think the dev's should aim for a relaunch.

Not to say that I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm saying that if they were to do it, I would hope that they would have ironed out a lot of standing issues first.
  7. frozen north

To be fair, league and CS both had their popularity start because of word of mouth rather then advertising.
    • Up x 1
  8. strikearrow

So they didn't have to spend as much on advertising; it makes no difference. PS2 is unknown and that has to change for it to survive.
    • Up x 1
  9. GamerGuardian22

Thank you for this feedback! This is even MORE reason that they need to relaunch because this game is the only competition for PS2. If they don't relaunch and make the game better, and DESTROY this new game. Then ps2 will loss even more players.
  10. adamts01

I'd love to see this game do well. But I think life support for PS2 and a push for PS3 would be ideal. The list of things to fix is just too daunting.
    - A2A G2A overhaul
    - ping limit
    - more quickly address cheaters
    - overhaul Maxes
    - something better than our current lattices. Hint hint, Hybrid Hex
    - DX11 or 12

I don't know. It's still a great game as is, but I think we kind of need to accept it as it is. Take the good and try to overlook the bad.
  11. Twin Suns

Unfortunately, with the market being driven by mobile *shimmies with his jimmies* Dat eazy dollar dollar bill ya'll. *fist pumps* gamers.

The future doesn't look bright for the hardcore FPS gamer. *reaches for sunglasses* Who broke my shades?
  12. Vanguard540

I wish you were right, but the way the game looks in the morning, or early afternoon... Spawn room camped by dozens of vehicle while your faction is not logged in yet... I've had incredible battles that I never had in any other game, but most of the time when the servers are quiet it's just stalker gameplay rewarding accuracy on the rare infantry and hiding from tanks/shotgun ESFs. If the game doesn't repop quickly things might end up badly. As veteran players will someday quit once for all. Or only log in when it's worth playing according to them.
  13. GamerGuardian22

Thank you everyone for replying! Didn't think I'd get this many views!
  14. Shadowdev

There definitely needs to be a continuing marketing program for PS2. I think they should allow for profit sharing through an affiliate program for players, if players can make money from promoting PS2 it'll be a win win for everyone.
  15. Jbeasty

All it would take is one half decent alternative and it's over for PS2 lol.

Luckily for this game and DBG (not so much for us) the industry is for the most part totally stagnant and they have a complete monopoly over this type of MMO FPS. No one seems remotely interested in making anything new or even touching the MMO aspect at all. People still flock to buy the rehashed piles of garbage like recent BF games, CoD, battle royale, etc.

I don't see that changing anytime soon, so that's why I think PS2 will stick around for a while.
  16. FIN Faravid

I dont believe in relaunches myself... Who knows, maybe it would work. But i think its better to keep working on Planetside as is. If they one day introduce seamless space and naval battles so you have battles in space, skies, seas and on land, then that would definetly be worth a relaunch. But not only that would require enormous amount of work, first we need to get there. There is still lot of work to be done on land.

Also... for the moment i dont actually enjoy the biggest of battles. Maybe i just cant play the biggest of battles, or maybe it is location. Who knows. Maybe the biggest of battles are fun if something is happening, but often they are just about who can fire fastest for longest before they get sniped or killed. Maybe i just need to learn how to play the biggest of battles, this is first time i actually have FPS to fight in them.

I dont think we will see competition for Planetside 2 for a while yet. It takes so long to make something like Planetside. Its what happened with Star Wars the Old Republic. When they started to develop it, it was surely better than World of Warcraft. But world of warcraft kept improving as SWTOR was still being developed, so by the time SWTOR was finally released, WOW was already much improved which at least at launch made it much better than SWTOR. New MMOs either have to be something different enough or they are stuck by endlessly trying to catch up. As they make one thing, industry leader is already releasing something else.
  17. TR5L4Y3R

........ necro ......
  18. Edenwolf

They dont really need to pay for advertising as seen by the huge influx of players with the patch but marketing when they release Oshur might make sense.