[Suggestion] Reword the Jockey Implant description!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liewec123, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Liewec123

currently on Live Jockey claims to let you "receive an additional 50% maximum shield health"
    while riding in an exposed vehicle seat or an engi turret.
    since base shield is 500 this increases your shield by 250, to a 750 total shield.

now if you add Auxiliary Shield your base shield is now 550, and Jockey should add 275
    to take you to a total of 825 and yet it remains at only 800.
    Jockey didn't increase the shield by 50%.

i've been grinding implants in hope of getting Bionics which increases your base shield by 400.
    with bionics you have a base shield of 900, increased by 50% you should be sitting on a meaty 1,350 shield.
    and yet in game, combining Jockey and Bionics gives 1,150,
    again Jockey did not increase your shield by 50%.

and finally, the ultra beefy super shield!
    Auxilary+Bionics, granting 950 base shield, should provide a whopping 1,425 shield, but "only" provides 1,200,
    because Jockey DOES NOT cause you to "receive an additional 50% maximum shield health."

so please! could the text be rewritten to say what Jockey ACTUALLY DOES?
    "Grants 250 extra shield while in an exposed vehicle seat."
    thanks!

or even better, you could make jockey do what it claims to do!
    i want my flash driver with a health pool of 1,525! :p
    • Up x 1
  2. DarkStarAnubis

You are right and it should be advertised - however it is "common knowledge" (not written anywhere clearly of course) that implants and equipments do not stack.

E. G. Symbiote does not stack with Nano Cloak and/or Nano Armor and/ or Resist Shield.

Minor Cloak and Deep Operative do not stack.

3. Liewec123

agreed that it is "common knowledge" about nanoweave and symbiote, because those questions get asked a lot.
    i don't really see anyone talking about Jockey (except for how it works with Robotics Technician, which stack.)

another example of stacking implants is catlike (reduces crouch speed penalty by 75%)
    and sidewinder (increase strafe speed by 35%)
    you can crouch strafe extremely fast by stacking both.

or phylactery which allows a max to self revive with 50%hp (1000hp)
    stacking with safeguard (which grants 500hp when revived)
    stacking them both you revive with 1500hp as expected.

these all stack because they don't do the same thing like Resist shield nanoweave, armour cloak and symbiote.
    (reduce damage by X amount)
    stuff that does the exact same thing doesn't stack.

but Bionics and jockey aren't remotely the same thing if the descriptions are to be believed,
    one simply sets your base shield to 900,
    the other claims to increase your shield by 50% under certain circumstances. (but doesn't actually do this.)
    they certainly should stack.

i fully expected jockey to do what it claims,
    if i have 900 shield and get on a flash with jockey i expect to get 50% shield bonus
    hence wanting them to remove the absolutely confusing text and say what it really does "gives 250 shield"
    (or make it do what it claims to!)
  4. DarkStarAnubis

That's what I meant by "stacking", sorry for not being precise. Different-effects implants can usually be mixed and matched (aside from odd combinations like Bionics and Carapace, IIRC Carapace wins)

True. That's why I said you are right because logically one would expect that altering the shield/health ratio (Bionics) and increasing in percentage the available shield (Jockey) should be fully compatible.

However, it could simply be a case of sloppy design so Jockey increases the shield value according to a percentage computed on a fixed shield value (500) instead of computing the effective shield value (500 + Bionics + Auxiliary) and then applying the percentage.

Implants descriptions are often poor or borderline misleading. Symbiote for example does not describe when the gnawing process starts:

1) how much health is taken every time (100)
    2) how often (every 10 seconds)
    3) lower limit (1) when the gnawing process stops
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

yep i have tons of questions about symbiote synergies too! :p