NS-R3 Swarm

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Thonthong, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Thonthong

Hi, I'm VS ans I recently invested in the Heavy Assault, and bought some AA rocket lauchers : Nemesis , lancer (lol). I also tried Swarm in VR mode, but have several questions.
    - How to use correctly the 2 fire modes ?
    - Is it really efficient against armor ?
    - Why do you use it over the annihilator ?
    - Isn't the 3 rockets an inconvenient (longer leading time) ?

Thanks
  2. Liewec123

imho you should just stick with the faction specific AA launchers,
    because they also give you dumbfire (which is more useful when poking your head out against tanks)
    and you can also use the dumbfire on maxes, with annihilator and swarm you can't target maxes.

if you do go with swarm though i'd recommend using the slow missiles for ground targets like harassers
    (or it tends to miss and crash if the vehicle turns.)
    and fast missiles for esfs, (so they can't simply fly in a straight line away from you to avoid getting hit.)

there is also a trick against ESFs that some people like, firing the slow rockets and then the fast rockets,
    if the esf has been trailing the slow rockets while you reload they can sometimes get hit by both volleys!

i did find it pretty useful against harassers!
    the lock on range for ground vehicles is fairly far too!
  3. RblDiver

The two fire modes basically are down to fast rockets and slow rockets. At the highest level, use fast for anti-air, slow for vehicle.

The fast rockets are, well, fast. They're great for ESFs and aircraft on their way out of range. They're fast, but not incredibly nimble, so they have a tendency to circle quite a bit. A smart plane could use this to their advantage by diving for the ground and trying to get the rockets to impact the ground rather than them. Most don't, so usually all 3 will hit.

This can also be used to your advantage on ground vehicles. If they're about to go under cover, once you get the lock, you can briefly move your mouse to a different position before firing. For instance, if there's a hill, you can aim up and fire quickly, and you'll get a nice high arc that would hit where a straight shot would crash itself into the ground. Obviously you won't get as many hits in this way (since you'll lose the lock), but each little bit can help. Alternately, if you have an easy line of sight on the vehicle (and particularly one not moving, like a deployed sundy), you can use this mode since the rocket can go straight in and not worry about tracking.

The slow rockets are generally best used against ground vehicles. Being slower, they're more responsive to changes in trajectory. Where the fast rockets would slam into the ground, the slower rockets will generally go towards their target more reliably. However, this responsiveness means that they'll run into hills and mountains more reliably, so all that harasser has to do is go behind a low dip, the rocket will try to follow it down, and will run into the ground. Your best bet is to fire from an elevated position so the rocket remains as high as possible as long as possible.

The slow rockets can also be used against slower aircraft, in particular the valkyrie. Those ones tend to come in low and slow for attacks, so the fast rockets would be more likely to spin around until hitting the ground, but a slow rocket'll intercept it on approach. The same can apply to libs/galaxies on close approach, but for ones high in the sky, the fast rocket's usually your best bet.

The launcher has a 300m targeting range to at least begin locking on. While at times I do miss the dumbfire capability, I DO actually like the lock-on protection, since I don't have to worry about firing too soon before I actually get a lock (something I'm VERY prone to on regular launchers).