Self destruct orbitals

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vanguard540, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Vanguard540

Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to implement self destruct on orbital strikes, death of the caster, when people do too much TK?
    • Up x 5
  2. Armcross

I would say not Ideal. And it could also destroy the entire base.
  3. strikearrow

It'd be a great idea - so long as - 90% of the constructs where also built by the owner of the OS. Frankly, I hate OS (even though I did buy one). It's a real fight killer and with maxes already being nerfed ..... Being tk'd by an OS is just really awful.
  4. Talthos

What about a self-destruct feature that the owner can manually trigger if their Silo has been destroyed?

Sort of like a final act of defiance to their attackers.
    • Up x 2
  5. Inogine

I'd give that a hard no for one reason. You've used your OS to your hearts content and killed both friendlies and enemies without much of a care in the world or much more than what equates to a slap on the wrist... Then someone shows up to kill your base with others.. Then you detonate it to get the final laugh. It'd kinda spiral into nothing but positives for what I already see as a problematic and unbalanced thing.
  6. Talthos

The idea is that you can only self-destruct it after your Silo has been destroyed (not deconstructed, but actually destroyed by enemy fire).

And it would have to be a tool that you grab from the OS terminal itself, maybe. So you'd have to survive the attacking enemy forces after the Silo dies, grab the self-destruct tool, then either blow it up along with yourself, or risk running away to get far enough to use it with 0 cost, but you run the risk of getting gunned down first.

Edit: Taking out nearby spawn points before killing the Silo would be most wise, in this scenario.
    • Up x 1
  7. TR5L4Y3R

is there currently any PMB structure that detonates like the old HIVE´s? ... imo at least either the silo or the OS structure should have the grafical effect but do no dmg to vehicles and infantry .... maybe just push or lift them a bit for funsies ..
    there needs to be a bit of satisfying feedback destroying a PMB ...
    or you just damage structures close to the silo/OS
  8. Inogine

While I'd not mind the middle part where you have to actively grab it after as much, it'd still be exploitable. Even then I don't think DBG has the ability to code such a system at this point if recent stuff is any indicator. Hell, can't even get'em to give us proper tutorials for new folks.
  9. Jac70

I give a warning over re chat and if my mic is plugged in over prox chat. I still get the occasional TK, not many but the odd one - seems some people run at the blast. Though I have been TKd by OS myself, it's not usually the blast that gets me but getting thrown into the air by the blast wave.

Perhaps the OS could be team specific - as in a friendly blast does less damage to friendies. Easy to imagine that the beam is tuned to do less damage to friendly shields. Perhaps a slightly longer warning for friendlies as well, plus a slightly shorter warning for enemies.

I would like to see a self-destruct on the OS terminals. If you're base is about to be overrun I would like to trigger a self-destruct and maybe take a few enemies out with the base. Give it a long countdown like a minute or so. Would also be a decent way to remove a base you have finished with. Could also allow enemy Infs to trigger it so long as the hacking time was significant.
    • Up x 1
  10. Talthos

I like the timer idea, like how you start a timer when you overload a generator.

And enemies could defuse it just like an overloaded generator, perhaps.
  11. Trigga

In PS1 when you wanted to orbital strike you had to use the command uplink device and the map.
    IIRC once you had uploaded the coordinates on the map a blue/red/purple indicator came down from the sky, just like a PS2 spawn beacon, but all the way to the sky. Only your friendlies could see this, it was a warning to stay the hell away.
    The orbital took (again IIRC) 10 seconds to warm up and fire, friendlies saw the marker for 5 seconds before the charge up (plus any time before pressing strike after placing the marker), enemies just saw the 5 second charge up before fireing.

Although in PS1 most people had the 'surge' implant (increased sprint speed) which made it pretty easy to run away from the blast.
    It also did nothing at all to people indoors.
    Maximum kills i ever got in nearly 15 years was 13. Lots of vehicles destroyed though, which was its real target imo.

Found a vid:

Skip to 1:30
  12. TR5L4Y3R

i would be cool with a selfdestruct in 2 ways ... one triggered by you but you need hold and charge a self destructdevice close to your OS/Silo similar to a C4 detonator .. and for enemies to be capable to overload your OS/Silo like old HIVEs with a countdown time detonation the explosion get colorcoded of which faction succesfully triggered the explosion and as such does only minimal dmg to allies and have the xp be distributed accordingly to who managed to detonate the OS/Silo ..

OS/Silo can only be remotedetonated by the owner of the OS/Silo to prevent abuse/trolling