Is there a GUIDE?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The Real Secret, Feb 3, 2019.

1. The Real Secret

Came back after a long break and I see stuff on the Map, and there seem to be like mini-games with free aircraft and such.

The latest was a x2 x3 x2 with the empires below the main upper bar of the map so I thought I'd try to find out what's what.

So...There's no guide to the game? I can't seem to find anything and the updates threads is all Hotfixes.

I'm sure I can find it, it will just be a much longer search than I expected.

Maybe more people would try or stay with the game if there was easy to get info on how it even plays.

I can obviously play the basic game and I spose I can interrupt other peoples gameplay to ask questions, but it certainly would be a nice addition to the main site to have a guide going over the various aspects of the game.
  2. Inogine

There are older community made guides, some of the info is still relevant. There's also the tutorial level, though it feels... incomplete. It's a problem that's been around for a good long while.

That said, ask in game. Think of it less as interrupting and more just asking questions. Most folks, even the opposing team, are usually more than happy to answer or help if asked. There are some sour grapes as anywhere, but generally folks I've found on here are friendly enough.
  3. strikearrow

The general lack of a manuals for games these days is a major deficiency. Games are constantly "balanced" because it's necessary when not everybody has everything unlocked when purchased like games used to be. Microtransactions are simply too profitable compared to the old school style of selling a complete game. Hence no manuals since they are out-dated faster than it takes to write them.

So in short, you are on your own in finding people with experience to answer questions or otherwise experience it yourself.
  4. FateJH

Manuals have been substituted with wiki's and, for some games, painful tutorials that the player often can't skip. A wiki sorta makes sense for an organic game like an online one, where the content and numbers can change based on when one starts playing. Would a manual that was released right at the end of formal Beta still be an accurate representation of the strategies and less obvious mechanics of the game?
    It's not microtransactions. It's the nature of the online games and a shift in how content is translated for consumption by the player's eyes and ears.

That's a question to ask. Has any mainstream online game in the last ten years had a full manual sold (by the same company that publishes the game)?
  5. Eternaloptimist

No new guides that I am aware of but the new mini alerts generally tell you what to do when they launch. Rewards for winners are usually an ISO drop and/sometimes a two-implant pack. Alerts reward you something or nothing depending on how long you were playing during the time frame of the alert, as well as whether your faction won or not.

For reference, the air anomalies alert is probably the least well-explained but basically you fly around in or near the big purple balloon in the sky (which moves periodically) to collect data and whichever faction collects the most data gets the win.

IIRC winning the others simply involves capturing the the greatest number of the bases highlighted on the main map within the specified time limit.

The meltdown alert which ends up locking the continent is pretty much like the old system - capture the most territory - and there are much bigger rewards of ISO and certs plus various drops (also every faction gets something). The main difference from the old system is that a meltdown alert of 1.5 hours only triggers after a certain time, rather than when one faction gains a certain amount of territory.

Personally I like this new system and have maxed three of the implants I use now for free, but then I play TR on Miller where TR seems to dominate atm in mid- to late afternoon. But generally, the base fights during meltdown are often manic and good fun, win or lose.
  6. Talthos

7. The Real Secret

Thanks for the info people.

Eterna gave me most of the info I was curious about, and I had checked a Wiki as well.

As I had said, I'm a returning player, so all the basics, latest implants and base building I knew already.

I still think a few more videos or pages on the main site with basics on content added the last few years would be a smart move if they want more players, because the less frustrating the overall experience is the more likely a player will come back.