[Vehicle] Help with Aircraft controls

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tovarisch Maxim, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Tovarisch Maxim

I just recently tried to fly in an aircraft, scythe. Playing VS.

I tried many different control key bindings, none of them worked for me.

Therefore I ask how to properly configure my aircraft control key binding?

I watched this video:

And I want to know how to fly properly like this.
  2. Skraggz

First thing first, flying really is one of those practice makes perfect things. More time spent doing it the better. Spend time in vr and set mini goals. The only bindings I had to set was throttle analog, and moved my eject key away from reload. Then bumped my mouse dpi up to a comfy level for me and I was golden after some time in the air.
    • Up x 1
  3. adamts01

You should really get some 1v1 training in VR. What server are you on? I'm sure we can find someone to help you out.
  4. Tovarisch Maxim

I'm playing the cobalt server, my nickname in that server is TovarishMaxim (And btw,Is there is anyway how to change the character's nickname? I assume It's a paid only option.)
  5. Talthos

Yes, character name changes are a paid service.

Also, consider perhaps adjusting your keybinds for aircraft, especially the 'exit vehicle' key. I can screenshot my aircraft keybinds, if you'd like.
  6. Tovarisch Maxim

Yes please, I would be happy.
  7. Talthos

Alrighty, these are my bindings for aircraft:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And for good measure, here are my 'General' keybinds:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Note how I have Spot Enemy bound to Tab, which frees up Q to be bound as shown.

On a side note, I use a mouse with extra buttons on it that can be bound to individual keys themselves, but I only use it to make the use of Cruise Control, Toggle Headlights, and the Horn more convenient for me; the important keybinds don't require anything fancy to perform viably, at least for me.
  8. TheZetifate1745

I Think devs should just make controls like warthunder with hovering.
    • Up x 1
  9. Tovarisch Maxim

When we can plan to do an 1 vs 1 training?

How is that even comfortable? Do you use them in middle of dogfight against another aircraft?

Also, pitching up and down with S and W is really way too fast, while A and D turning are slow as hell, making it uncomfortable. Is it matter of practice? Do you use mouse for rolling? Cause I dont get how rolling with Z and C is comfortable either.

On another question:
    What loadout you use for the scythe? Whats the recommended weapon if you want to destroy ground targets?
  10. Talthos

It's easiest if I spot them at a distance first, prior to engaging. Of course, I've never been much of a dogfighter, even when I equip a dedicated ESF killer loadout; in practice, I usually roll with a 'ground pounder' loadout, and just evade enemy ESFs that attempt to intercept me.

The A and D binds affect your Yaw rate, which is distinct from pitch or roll, and using the keyboard always Yaws you at its maximum rate; the Dogfighting Frame is the only airframe that increases the maximum Yaw rate. Also, I mostly use S and W to pitch when I need maximum turn speed; for precision adjustments, I use the mouse.

On the whole, yes, it is a matter of practice. Lots of practice. In the game menu, there's a sensitivity slider for air vehicles; the higher it's set, the more responsive your aircraft is to smaller mouse movements, but it can take a bit to get used to. I've been flying since October 2012, which makes for over 6 years worth of practice. In any case, depending on the situation, I use both the mouse and Z and C for rolling.

And for reference, I use a higher sensitivity setting for aircraft (I think I have mine set to 85 or something, I'd need to double check). Practice is extremely important; VR Training is an excellent place to begin by practicing the 'feel' of your flight controls, since you can test all airframes and pull as many ESFs as you like in VR Training, without draining your Nanites.

Once you get over the initial awkwardness of flying, you start trusting your muscle memory more, and you stop having to think so much about your air movements.

On my Scythe? It depends on what I plan on fighting, since heavy armour demands different weapons than infantry targets. For general purpose ground pounding though, I usually roll with the Light PPA, and Dual Photon Pods (the dumbfire rocket pods for VS). For the other slots, I typically run with Fire Suppression, Nanite Auto Repair, and Hover Frame.

As for what weapons to use against ground targets, that too depends on what you mean by 'ground' targets, and whether you want to be 'decent' against 'most' ground targets, or whether you want to specialize against, say, heavy armour while making it harder to engage infantry targets.

Considering that you'll be practicing for a while, the default Saron nose gun and Dual Photon Pods will probably give you decent flexibility for the least expense, as you learn how to handle your ESF while engaged in combat.

That's just what I think, anyway. I haven't had to explain these concepts in quite some time, so this was good practice for me as well.
  11. IcEzEbRa

After Aurax'ing the esf's on 2 servers, this is what works for me...

Change Camera = Mouse Wheel click, very convenient for changing 1st to 3rd person, even while dogfighting
    Pitch down = 1st Mouse Button
    Pitch up = 2nd Mouse Button
    Spot Enemy = 3rd Mouse Button, yes I have 3 mouse buttons..if I only had 2, I would keep spot enemy rather than pitch up
    exit vehicle = ~
    Analog Throttle = X
    Left Alt = squad chat
    Cockpit Free Look = 4, above E
    Since Q and E are free, they are mapped to roll left and roll right, and very helpful in 3rd person crazy evasive maneuvers while being a coward and running away...

What you think of as Yaw in an airplane, is done more with roll and pitch on these vtols.

There are many instructional videos, but starting with one below is solid

• Up x 1
  12. adamts01

I was hoping that someone from your server would see this and offer to help.

Any takers?

Anyone?

If no one replies by tomorrow I'll start a character there and help you out. I'll pm you and work something out.
  13. Tovarisch Maxim

Maybe I could just know the basic tactics for dogfighting? And rules of what should I do or not do for effective dogfighting?
    And what does the Throttle (Analog) do even do?
  14. adamts01

Sorry, I forgot about this post. I just created a cobalt character helpicantfly
    I'll get through basic and add you as a friend. Let me know when you'll be on. I'm central US.
    • Up x 1
  15. Skraggz

Throttle (Analog) Will cut off your ability, for the most part (there are ways to circumvent this) will engage the breaks and not let you gain forward momentum. Its like a hard handbrake. It works way better than holding S. I spam it a lot when I do reversals and fly in reverse to stop the engines from lifting. That's the incredible layman way of putting it at least.

I could offer help as well, but I fly .... the wrong way, I don't use pitch bindings soo I'd rather not teach you improperly
    • Up x 1
  16. Tovarisch Maxim

I can be available from 17:00 (Israel timebie, which I assume It's +2:00) to up to any time you wish, though, I play Planetside 2 when I wish to, so my login time is extremely random. I'm from Israel.
  17. TR5L4Y3R

the least thing dbg could do is to allow to rebind yaw to mouse and add sensitiivity to keypressmovement ...
    i stopped flying as current aircontrols cause me wristpain ..
  18. BigG

How do you add sensitivity to a digital key switch? The key is either on or off. There is no in between. It has no way of knowing how hard you are pressing it.
  19. OgreMarkX

A few tips (maybe already given)

If you have a mouse with two thumb keys (used to scroll web pages back and forth), try binding them to PITCH UP and PITCH DOWN.

Also, find and remap if needed, what your DESCEND is mapped to.

I use those three a lot to line up shots, to fly evasively, and to track other evasive pilots.

A key thing is learn to change your altitude and direction quickly and unpredictably.

Practice in VR or Koltyr. Koltyr is actually good as it better simulates actual battlefield conditions. I like to often fly low and fast, suing the ground for concealment and protection.

Plus chicks dig low flying pilots. What can I say? I got it going on.

When I see an enemy pilot who is obviously knew (you can usually tell by how the fly) I engage them briefly, let them react and then I fly off, leaving them to keep learning. More pilots, the better. Sky Knights.