PlanetSide Arena

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by iller, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Dumpsterprophet

So how has ps2 attempted to innovate and improve? The failed new continents? Reskinned weapons for daybreak cash? The construction system joke? Have they implemented new servers to get rid of lag? I mean for gods sake they cant even use dx12. Yea i dont like br, deal with it. I dont have to like it. Maybe you do but the last thing i want is more fortnite 12 year olds on this platform.
    • Up x 1
  2. Acceleratio

Interesting that all the negative comments just poofed away from the trailer video ;)

Ok Im actually kinda indifferent. On the one hand IF this brings new players who actually stick with Planetside 2 later, great - even better if it brings DBG some cash.
    Ont the other hand there are so many ways I can see this going south, from either the main game losing players to the new game just crashing and burning and thus wasted money and energy.

Im pretty sure this game was a compromise for the DX11 support. AKA you can do the DX11 but only if you do a royal version of PS2 because thats what all the hip kids are rockin these days ya know
  3. pnkdth

It is ONE game mode...

Since you didn't watch the trailer here's a list :
    Massive Clash (if this means ACTUAL support for server smash and the like it is going to be huge)
    CTF
    TDM
    Kill Count
    Doubles
    Search and Destroy
    Global Conquest.
  4. Wargrim

I watched the entire "Reveal" Stream. It was glorious. After 6 years of Planetside 2, and talk about all the great and exciting things to come for it, you really believe they will deliver on all that "future content" in Planetside Arena, and it will actually be good?

Please allow me to laugh even harder!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    • Up x 1
  5. pnkdth

Yikes...

Yes, given the direction of PS2 of late I am quite optimistic. Much more so than I was during SOE management. They already have the engine and infrastructure thanks to PS2 to make it work which means they can work on the game modes. I also think the trinity of classes for PSA is interesting and they can do quite a lot with that too.

So yeah, I'm going with the wait and see approach over jumping on the BR-hate bandwagon. I mean, I'm not going full fanboy either I just think it is kinda stupid to go "LEL, failure!!!" before anything has really happened.
  6. Havic

Few things I did not care for:

1.Os nade has to go.
    2. Certain game modes locked depending on the season.
    3. Despite what the executive producer stated, I think it will split the communities not enhance them.

Few things I did like:

1. Infantry vs Infantry may be more polished and crisp then what we have now.
    2. A more "battlefield" like approach could bring in more casuals.
    3. I do not care for the BR playstyle but millions do, and could bring in alot of cashflow to aid in ps2 development.

Suggestions:

Planetside 2 after the Dx11 update needs to be re marketed much like the DBG announcement you did today for Arena. Many here feel Ps2 will be placed on the back burner in favor of Arena.
    • Up x 1
  7. Skraggz

1. People care about BR yes, but so many BR's have failed because of over saturation in a market that tries to chase trends. I do not foresee this ending well for DBG (Not wishing bad things for them but lets be real).

-Side Note a lot of people don't care for the BR scene and this will only split the community lowering the pops in PS2.

2. Doubt ps2 dx11 will get back burnered, however I guarantee profits from PS2 will be dumped into PS:A in hopes to be big and mainstream for the precious investors.

-After thought, PS:A bringing them loot boxes as well? You may as well go full on if you're going to.
  8. XRIST0

WOW, that PS Arena trailer looks absolutely EPIC and I'm very excited about this .. I cannot wait !

This is very good news for Planetside as a whole, It will bring many new players and revive the franchise.
  9. Airazor

They should of put more dev energy into Planetside 2, added new vehicles, maps and emotes into it too. They decided to make a new game, toss the 3 faction lore out the window and we are now "mercenaries". They took membership money that fans were paying for PS2 and put it towards Arena ( have no proof of this, but that's what it seems like).

We didn't ask for Arena to be separate, we wanted Arena type gameplay modes INSIDE Planetside 2. Instead they ask PS2 fans to caught up $30 for half a game so PS2 vets feel like its an insult. They should of simply made Arena a menu option inside Planetside 2. Then they could charge people if they want access to it or still play the F2P standard PS2.

"Yeah, sounds good, I'll play Area, even though it's half the game Planetside 2 is!" said no real Planetside 2 fan.

Arena is a small chunk of planetside 2, dumbed down and had a price sticker put on it.
    -No air vehicles (from what I can tell on the trailer). I love flying in PS2, I'm a lib pilot through and through.
    -3 classes, not 6 like PS2, so right there its half a game for meta strat.
    -No more 3 factions (which might be a good thing imo)
    -No faction customization, meaning everything is basically standard with no personality.
    -We already had +96 vs +96 fights in PS2, they made it seem like it was something awesome for Arena.....It's ALREADY in one of your games and it's like you are choosing to ignore it.
    -We don't know when the seasons end or start?
    -Do we have to pay for each season?
    -Are their gameplay modes locked per season?

I understand why Daybreak made Arena....but to me it feels like an insult. I put 1400 hours into Planetside 2 and expected Planetside 2.5 or 3 to be announced, not a Battle Royal, Call of Battlefield/front type clone that is already overdone and not unique, just marketed as unique.

They sold out. They sold out Planetside 1 & 2's uniqueness to the casual audience that often bounces from game to game and aren't that loyal. They traded long term fans for short term gains. They got bought out by a MLG investor....so expect MLG push coming soon btw.

I hope Arena does well, but I hope Planetside 2 does better. Or at the very least, I hope people play Arena and want to play something bigger so they head to Planetside 2.
  10. Demigan

Well, it has improved by attempting to make new continents, create entirely new weapons (not just reskins), rebalance entire portions of the game to try and make it more enjoyable (CAI for example), create the construction-system, create a new server for our eastern friends to get rid of laggy players...

Just because you don't agree these worked does not mean they didn't try.

Also I was talking about how game developers often release a franchise game each year, make people pay full price for it while not having had enough development time to release a full game. IE BF5 as the latest example. The fact that PS2 is still supported, although with nefarious means as the game's money keeps getting siphoned to other projects like PS-A, is a good thing (the support, not the money siphoning).

And for gods sake, they are trying to add DX11. Also DX12 is not necessarily better than DX11, it depends on the architecture of the game and it's not like you can just flip a few switches to switch which DX# you want. It's a huge process you have to go through to make it work and it could actually cause problems in-game, like re-adding the good old "touch a friendly tank and receive 1 damage as fast as the server can send it" bug which used to murder your tank in less than a second when you bumped into someone.

And I'm not saying you can't like BR, I'm saying you can't proclaim it as cancer just because it's popular and many developers tried to get some of that pie.

Also while Fortnight has taken all the 12-year-olds, most of the other BR's aren't filled with them. Isn't it great that the 12-year-olds are all playing Fortnight and that you can happily enjoy a BR fight in potentially PS-A without them?
  11. strikearrow

My first hand source is the evidence of servers being less populated while server/resource lag increases, forums virtually dead, bugs/hackers not being addressed, updates happening during primetime, major update mistakes, no new PS2 advertising, and a new game release. If it looks like a banana, tastes like a banana, smells like a banana, and feels like a banana, it's probably a banana.
  12. Gen.Drake61

From what i can tell its only for steam currently,and the fact That its a preorder means you have to pay for it,regardless im happy because they didnt say they were shutting planetside 2 down in favor of the spin off,ill still stick to planetside 2,i dislike br games because once you die,you have to wait until the next match and the area around the battlefield is constantly shrinking.
  13. Grumblesnort

If you are an All Access member and play PS2, you likely will get a code email. With the code you can get the base game and Season 1 for free. If you choose to go with one of the bundles for the goodies there, you get a significant discount on them as well. So you do NOT "have to pay for it" to start with. You can at least try it out for free, and only pay for following seasons if you decide it's something that you want to do.
  14. iller

Lol, Mods even changed my Thread title despite it not violating TOS in any possible way.
    And ironically.. a Phone Game would have been BETTER than this b/c atleast it wouldn't have competed directly with Planetside2 for the same exact audience (IE: spreading a thin demographic even THINNER)

Welp... see some of you guys in Camelot Unchained I guess. ...I know it's not gonna be the blazing fast Sci Fi aesthetic we were lucky enough to have here. But hey, at least it WILL have the 3-faction open world unrestricted Hex conquest lattice we had at launch plus much more well thought out CPU Multithreading, Basebuilding & Siege systems.
    • Up x 1
  15. Skraggz

Yea they have pulled some of my comments here, because it wasn't positively optimistic and apparently negative comments are not "constructive" in their opinion. Look at the Youtube video and notice how all the comments there are positive with all the down votes... makes one wonder.
    • Up x 1
  16. Dumpsterprophet

All the people upset saying they should have used the money and resources to "fix" ps2. Please tell me how you're going to fix it. Lets be honest, would any of you really pay 60$ for the current state of ps2? Probably not. Most of you play it because its free. Then you make up excuses for lag, bugs etc and say "well, its a free to play game so i didnt lose any money on it". Ps2 is old its time came and went whats wrong with a new game based on ps2? I can bet most of this backlash wouldnt even exist if arena was a free to play game.
  17. ridicOne

Well I was hoping for an EQ BR game so... get woke :)

P.S. It's prolly in the works hahaha
  18. PlanetBound

19. Nayrx

With out factions, outfits etc this shouldn't even be called planetside. Explain to me how this will bring more people to PS. They will buy Arena and say "this sucks but PS2 looks better"
  20. iPervy

My same sentiment.

Though honestly if they just brought back factions allowing us to team with faction mates via friends/company, and made each game mode persistent as if each mode is its own continent you can freely jump in an out of in a server scale (no matchmaking outside of say select ones that may/may not benefit from it like S&D, BR) I would be far more apt for PSA. Since at least there would be some semblance of what would make the game actually Planetside.

Atm it feels like the leads of PSA only takeaway from Planetside as a series is its "scale" and tossed everything else out. Heres' the thing, any mmo has scale in terms of number of players by its very definition. What makes Planetside -Planetside- is that its a fully persistent mmofps world that has faction armies duking it out in a battle that never ends nor ever sleeps. Just put that back into PSA, and I feel many of us vets won't be nearly as salty on the game.

Sure we are angry that its a BR/arena game, but thats not what really makes us hate PSA so vehemently. Its the fact that they put little to no effort in putting in what makes Planetside what it is, and instead made a obvious cash grab of a game aimed directly at a now big'ol crusty pie of BR money.