Players don't make me ragequit, but ingame nighttime does

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bayonet, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Liewec123

so if i want to play on ultra i need to use a night vision scope and night vision vehicle optics,
    but anyone running on potato settings can use whatever optics they want and see everything.
    you don't see the issue there?

P.S i don't play on ultra anymore (for this exact reason, i refuse to nerf myself!) so this is all just for the discussion,
    i, like my potato setting brethren can see things at night.
  2. Lord_Avatar

I did mention making night darker on sub-ultra settings to even the playing field. In my opinion nighttime, for the most part, should require players to rely on HS/NV, or external illumination.
  3. Liewec123

well that would be a huge step in the right direction, but people can still get around it with hardware tweaks,
    my monitor for example has things like "adaptive contrast" and "dark boost" with both of these turned on
    it makes the darker areas lighter while still maintaining contrast.
    you still can't see as well as simply running the game on potato settings, but its still a way to see more than the game intends.
  4. Pelojian

i don't see the issue guys, ether play on potato settings for the best advantage or play with settings that make the game look pretty.

i mean really this is a combat game, not a game like the sims.
    • Up x 1
  5. SmittyJensen

That's the bigger deal, uniform colors seem to give VS an advantage at night. A number of times I get killed by VS and I have no idea where the shot came from at night... too dark... even with gamma increased.
    • Up x 1
  6. Liewec123

i can't think of any other game were running the game on higher settings puts you at a huge disadvantage.
    and i've played quite a few competitive games.
    i run every other game maxed out, i'm never at a disadvantage for it.
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

Ackchyually lower settings = more fps = smoother gameplay so almost every game except turn based games like Hearthstone or whatever.
    • Up x 1
  8. adamts01

He did say "huge disadvantage", and I kind of agree. I haven't played a ton of online shooters, but Arma, Squad, MWO, Insurgency, Division, CoD, Battlefield..... You can still be competitive on ultra settings. In PS2 however..... Especially at night... And double especially with exosions and smoke.... You might as well be a spitfire main. I can't even see my target though VS tracers with effects and particles cranked up. I can't see infantry after the first ESF rocket with low effects and ultra particles. Smoke is 100% negated through settings. This really is the only game I can think of that ***** you so hard for not using potato settings.
  9. JibbaJabba

OOH, and you got the fog. Ok, Congrats... that is the lowest visibility you'll ever get in the game. Now don't try to blow smoke up the butt of every other player and try to pretend that it's like that all the time.

But when you are in that situation... your enemies are in the same boat (it doesn't look as cool on low, but visibility is still crap). One of you is going to get clever and pull out INRV scopes. Since you're here whining on the forums I'm betting that person is not you.

I would personally like it if hossin nights got dark like that frequently.
  10. Liewec123

you're flat-out wrong about that.
    playing on potato mode with ramped up brightness makes nighttime merely a slightly greyer daytime.
    i play on potato mode almost exclusively now (with brightness boosted a bit), so i know this firsthand.
    • Up x 1
  11. JibbaJabba

haha, I told someone in a post once, "All things being equal if it's night time on hossin, I'll fight NC/TR instead, then return to the VS in the daytime".

Oh I never heard the end of it. I'm such a F'n noob and whatever.

:p
  12. ArcKnight

ah a fellow survivor of the BETA days, night was dark then, now it feels like dusk
    • Up x 1
  13. Ge0mancer

14. Lord_Mogul

I actually use 3 brightness settings for the game. Besides the switch to higher brightness/gamma for night, I need a darker setting for Esamir during the day. It's just too damn bright. (My main color profile is fine as it is, but there are just some situations that require some change)

And yes, using a "darkboost" is something done for a long time, even when XP was still the most used system. I vageuly remember a "darkfix" for CS back in the day for more visibility in dark corners.

And for everyone whining about how it destroys fair game and is PC exclusive: Even on console you can adjust settings, if not in the game, atleast on the TV, so that is not a point.
  15. DeadlyOmen

Removing variation from a game is enhancing repetitive gameplay.

No.