Players don't make me ragequit, but ingame nighttime does

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bayonet, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Bayonet

As per title, just looking to impeach nighttime ingame.
  2. Scroffel5

Dude, turn up the Brightness setting in your game. It makes nighttime brighter, so you can actually see.
  3. JibbaJabba

Old farts come out of wood work.... Back in my beta days night meant something! The crews that ran INRV and thermals had a tactical advantage over those that didn't. AND WE LIKED IT!!!

Night time is fine. Needs to be darker.
    • Up x 8
  4. Sindroms

Turn up the brightness, turn down shadows and lightning in your settings.
  5. AlcyoneSerene

I disagree, bring back truly dark nights.

Arcade shooters with perfect vision at all times are plenty elsewhere. Planetside2 needs to stand out.

Turn up your monitor brightness, turn up in game brightness, darken your room with window blinds.
    • Up x 3
  6. Pikachu

Maybe he's used to playing Fortnite.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Turn down lights by 20% and put a violet filter on.
  7. That_One_Kane_Guy

It's okay to be afraid of the dark.
  8. Robert Patrician

Indeed. If I log on and it's nighttime, I log off and try back an hour later. It's just not worth it to even try playing at night, it's So. Damn. Dark.
  9. adamts01

I don't mind nights in other games, but planetside just isn't equipped to handle it. Why?
    - No NVGs, we're stuck with a scope to look through if we want to see anything.
    - Flashlights are pathetic
    - Vehicle optics/loadouts can't be switched from day to night
    - Laser sights don't work
    - Just like smoke, you can leave it on and get screwed, or turn it off and wreck people. Just like now, I crank up my gamma, contrast and brightness at night, because **** fighting VS in the dark.
    • Up x 1
  10. frozen north

My long standing issue is that players can do that. I try to be a good sport and not do that sort of a settings switch, but fighting the VS at night without doing that is an effort in futility.
  11. adamts01

Changing settings to see at night is a no-brainer for me. For one, basically everyone does it, and two, we're simply not given the gear to have proper night time combat. I'm personally on the fence about smoke. I check the implants and weapons of the guys who kill me through it and none of them ever run thermals or that new implant. On top of that, frames absolutely tank for everyone who sees smoke in those fights, even further stacking the cards in favor of those who exploit the option to turn it off. The simple solution is a single particle of smoke on lowest settings, a big blacked out box where smoke would be. Yes, it's ugly, but that's the price to pay for potato settings if your rig can't handle low particles. Just one more reason I won't further financially support this game.
    • Up x 1
  12. frozen north

I agree with smoke. At least make low resolution smoke be like smoke in the game unturned ( where it's just a bunch of large squares floating around, that works effectively to obscure vision at the games low resolution).

All of this honestly reminds me of one of the biggest debates that ever occurred with the game war thunder, where you could basically turn on easy mode by lowering graphics which removed terrain clutter ( such as bushes, tall grass, and basically anything that you might try to hide a tank with). The devs eventually overhauled the graphics engine to a significantly more streamlined version that improved performance at low resolution sufficiently to allow them to fully re-enable things like tall grass and bushes on low resolution settings, finally leveling the playing field. I would be happy to see this game get a similar treatment, such that players can't just have an advantage purely by disabling some aspects of the game's graphics.
    • Up x 1
  13. Twin Suns

Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden.
  14. adamts01

That reminds me of Squad, probably the game I replace this with when I'm back in the States and have access to better servers. You can only get rid of so much terrain, so snipers can still hid in bushes and grass no matter what settings are tweeked. It can't run on all PCs, but their player counts are increasing like crazy because it offers something no other fps offers. That's the direction I really wish PS2 would move in. Forget trying to compete with CoD and Battlefield, and hopefully not try to compete with the battle royal games, and focus on what makes PS2 unique. Trying to please everyone will only get you so far.
    • Up x 1
  15. Liewec123

Yes he can turn up his brightness,
    Yes he can play on lower settings,
    But why? Why should we be required to fiddle with settings or play potato mode just to be able to play?

It shouldn't be a collosal advantage to play on low with ridiculous contrast and brightness.

Settings should not be a handicap...

I'm right with you OP, I love playing on ultra but it just makes night fights utterly impossible.
  16. AlcyoneSerene

I use ultra settings, default in-game brightness, my monitor is Samsung syncmaster 2494 with reported 50000:1 dynamic contrast, using default 'Game' 'MagicBright profile, and I dim the window blinds of the room depending on time of day, but at real-life night keep the bright room light on as it does not interfere or cause glare to obstruct night. In-game night time is too bright still in the sense of everything being too easy to see. This is not about your eyesight since the game feeds you with the tools to make contrasts which unless you are blind you can't miss no matter how poor your eye's night vision.

You guys already got night time nerfed once. But that's not enough? Gone are really dark nights. No thanks for that! Seriously! ^*)^E)&^Y*(Y^rthl

What's next on the dumbing-down chopping block? Fog on Hossin? Yeah, barely thick fog for more than 1 minute within the day/night cycle. Sandstorms on Indar? How come I haven't seen sandstorms recently? Are cloaked infiltrators moving without deep cloak also too hard to see, shall we nerf them too? Does cloak shimmer need a discoball with giant arrows tracking the infiltrator?

Go play Overwatch. It has perfect view at all times. No pesky weather effects (except maybe light rain, I don't remember), no changes in day/night cycle, cloakers (sombra) even tells you she's spotted in a big obvious heads-up display, and her cloak shimmer is quite obvious when spotted (maybe even transparently colored iirc) or perfectly invisible otherwise so no need to even pay attention.

This is clearly not the game for you if you can't appreciate difficult battle environments (Hossin), battling against and with the elements like in real war that this game is trying to approximate to some degree.

Never even used night vision scopes, don't have a single one unlocked. "But it's not free to play then if I need X to see" this whole game is made around situational unlocks, selecting proper gear for a given task & using it appropriately for its strengths. Night vision on air vehicles barely helps since everything is just as obvious, or obscured anyways due to 'fog of war'. Running stealth and racer on your MBT to ambush makes no difference to have its lights on or off at night since it's so visible anyways before the chip damage onslaught begins by 2 infantry of any class at range behind perfect cover.

Bring back dark nights. More weather effects more often, even if they are cheap pixelated blocks at low settings. More great maps like Hossin.
  17. Nuggz

Adjusting the in game brightness only works if you're playing in full screen mode and adjusting your monitor every time you want to play some Planetmans Nightside is sort of annoying...

Older HD TV as a monitor means when I switch to full screen the resolution goes all to **** so I'm stuck in windowed which negates any in game brightness settings.

Honestly night wouldn't be nearly as big a problem if VS stock camo/colors didn't blend into the darkness so well by default. I kill SOOOOO many people with my VS soldier at night simply because they don't see me til its too late, even in stock look.
    • Up x 1
  18. JibbaJabba

Hold on hold on. You're begging the question, trying to assume your assertion is already correct.

"...just to be able to play".

I prize my graphics quality and the game looks beautiful on ultra... but I have no hard time playing at night. What on earth are you talking about. 80% of the game is in a base where things are lit up already. The rest is bearable and it's **meant** to be dark. You are **supposed** to use the dark tactically. Move along that wall, don't pass under that light. That sort of stuff.

There are also night vision scopes in the game for exactly that. Put one on.... and have an advantage over people (like the OP) that are just cursing about the dark instead.

Don't give me any of this, "Oh we MUST do this graphics thingy to even make the game playable". BULL - CRAP. Everyone else is playing just fine.

OH BTW - 5th anniversary bundle last year included thermal implants. Something to keep in mind if they offer it again with the patch that's hitting today. ;)
  19. Liewec123

here is what Hossin looks like at night on ultra settings...
    [IMG]
    i was trying to get a picture of hossin on low and after several hours just as it started getting dark the continent locked...
    i don't have any pictures of night on low because they aren't interesting you can see everything, just like at day.

but don't pretend that it isn't a COLOSSAL self nerf playing with the settings in that pic and not crazy brightness and low settings.
    and yes, it isn't hyperbole, at some points i consider it pretty much impossible to play at night on ultra,
    its like having permanent smoke grenade, while everyone else is running around with perfect vision from playing on low.
  20. Lord_Avatar

You must be joking, right? Run IR/NV. That's it. IF anything, nights should be made darker on all sub-ultra settings to level the playing field.