[Suggestion] Buff muzzle velocities for ALL weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Talthos, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Ketenks

Exactly. It's honestly a solution and with intrigue. Who knows how they will redesign the infiltrator? But we know the sniper needs to be a separate class by itself.
  2. Jbeasty

I understood your OP, but even as you have stated, the most obvious disturbance would be sniper rifles. So I focused on that.

The idea is pretty bad overall, not only would that heavily reduce the skill cap, but also create huge diminishing returns for the stat in general. Guns that are weighted with high velocity already would likely have to be rebalanced to contend properly.

The only thing I might agree with is buffing/altering weapons with very low velocity already. Such as some of the ~550 sniper rifles, possibly SMGs, and carbines with sub 450. If you ever want to use a suppressor/soft point than you are well below or are approaching <400 on some weapons.

...To think, just recently, they finally buffed suppressors with -15% across the board instead of -25/35/40% and a few weapons (maybe all snipers? I frogot) were at a whopping 50%.

Before that buff, putting soft point + suppressor on a weapon = throwing potatoes lol.
  3. Ketenks

But see, if they already have increased muzzle velocity then there is no harm in saying it isn't to the level it should be yet. You just said they were "throwing potatoes" so why can't these velocities now be "shooting airsoft"? It's a sniper rifle. It needs to be like shooting a sniper rifle. And no, you have to lead them way more than what is realistic in the first place. And given the consideration of lag and whether or not the game is in sync or not that drastically increases the inaccuracy. Keep in mind, we are talking about sniping running units. Even at 50m you have to lead their body to hit them with a bolt action at 550m/s with a suppressor. And come on, we all know we are going to be using a suppressor with long range sniping. A suppressor should change the velocity by 5% and the velocities should all be increased by 50m/s minimum. Then it will be more of a match.

And don't mention the skill threshold. There is no reason that we should make the game have an unrealistic skill threshold. Just look at the statistics of how many certs are earned per hour of each class. Sniper is way lower than the other classes so it stands to say that the community overall could stand to have more realistic accuracy.

Lastly, being a sniper is ALL about getting the kill. You don't get capture control experience when sniping. Again, we have already stated how the infiltrator role is counter productive to the sniper role and a unit can not serve the battlefield when they are caught in two completely different zones. So yes, a sniper should be able to rack up KILLS and LOTS of them. That's how a sniper makes a difference. Why do I see all the time on the forums that snipers are just an annoyance and that they do nothing for the objective? It's because they are completely emasculated in this game. Let snipers be snipers and give them their real guns back.

Take the cloak away and make the infiltrator a melee weapon unit that has charge. It can quickly boost into enemies and get power melees for the kill. Oh my gosh perfect. Where have I seen that before? But let the sniper have all the power of shooting and let him stay in the field where he is supposed to be. And if he can actually get enough kills to change the tide of battle THEN you have a class that is doing its job.
  4. Jbeasty

What im saying is that snipers tend to not go for other snipers. That's why I had the idea to create a sniper rifle scope designated just for that......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  5. adamts01

You're not grasping the basic concept of scaling down ranges to meet this game's rendering limitations. Leading a target at 100 meters in game is comoerable to leading a target in real life at 500 meters. So no, leading a target at 100 meters isn't realistic, but you need to understand why that has to be the case. You're also mistaken in blaming lag. This is a purely clientside shooter so lag won't matter. If this were a serverside shooter, then every target would have a different lead depending on their individual latency. Thankfully we don't have that problem.

Edit: As for sniper kph, the heart of that problem isn't the weapon, but this game's focus on close quarters combat revolving around points in rooms. Long range combat simply isn't meta. That's the same reason NC Maxes dominate their more accurate TR and VS counterparts in every single meaningful statistic.
    • Up x 2
  6. Ketenks

That's just not my experience. When I'm sniping it tends to end up into a sniper's battle because whoever of us can clear each other out then we are free to snipe happy. My experience is just the opposite of what you are saying.
  7. Jbeasty

You are quite obviously taking my words out of context trying to prove some sort of point. Which im glad will never be reflected in the game.
  8. Ketenks

Client side goes both ways. There is most certainly calculations of their movement and whether you actually hit them or not. You can shoot them right in the head but because they were moving it will say it was a miss. I've shot the air right next to their head but because they were spazzing it got a head shot. MY client side experience was that I shot the AIR and it got a headshot. So client side does NOT follow the pattern that if you hit them then you hit them or if you miss them then you miss them. Client side is working both ways and doesn't always add up.

And I'm not talking about simply leading a target. I'm talking about close quarter combat. This happened at 20m or so. Just because they were turned in the direction of the fire it gave me a headshot even though they could not have possible moved into the bullet. The game is making extra stuff go on that doesn't make sense to your client side experience.
  9. adamts01

You don't understand how it works. You can completely disconnect from the server and hit registration remains exactly the same. The server doesn't do a single thing to calculate hits. As far as near misses being hits, and vice versa, that has to do with the delay between what happens on your own CPU and what's shown by your GPU.

I have noticed what I can only imagine is bad hit reg when the servers are acting up, but my guess is that the server isn't calculating the damage that has been transmitted from the shooter's client. All hits or misses are calculated entirely on the shooter's client.
  10. Demigan

This idea, ofcourse, doesnt work in the slightest.

You can give all Carbines for example 3X the muzzle velocity and their effective range would barely increase. The limiting factor is the COF, recoil and the COF growth. BASR's dont have this limitation as their COF and recoil has settled by the time the bolt action has ended and semi-auto's are designed for short moments where you adjust your aim and settle COF.

Giving snipers faster velocity hurts the game. Right now a sniper needs to take range into account, check for cover he can use to fire from, look for harder to reach locations to limit how easy it is for someone to approach and kill them, to always juggle easier hits with higher risk.
    Increasing the velocity craps on all that. Less if any risk of getting caught by enemies who try to approach you as they need to travel farrher to reach you, easymode killing anyone who would oppose a risk on top of them taking longer to reach you, anywhere becomes a good sniping location and countersniping becomes harder as you have to scan a larger area to spot them and relocating after a shot becomes much easier.

Besides "I want to be able to kill someone when I see them" I've not seen any real reason to increase velocity and theres several reasons not to do this.
  11. utofbu

took the words right outta my mouth. Things are fine for the sniper. removing anything left of a skill cap on this weapon class is foolish.
    Grind the Parallax or the Rams .50 or the Longshot. You will be fine.
  12. Scroffel5

If you buff the muzzle velocity of every weapon, the factor not being increased is continent size. Imagine a Heavy taking down infantry or vehicles from Infiltrator sniping range, say 250m to 300+m. It just makes every weapon in the game easier to use, and doesn't really change anything other than that. Sure, it'll be easier to use now, but then the whole game changes only for that time. If every gun is easier to us, then no gun is really buffed. It would cause Infiltrators to have to shoot from farther back so they don't get shot by any other class, and then their bullets would need to do more damage or have less damage drop off to balance the class; otherwise who needs to have good accuracy and a bolt action sniper anymore?

Having buffed velocity for every gun wouldn't help as much in the future as it would now. It would change literally every gun, making effective ranges change up more. It just unbalances the game really. If you would like to have this buff though, you would have to change many more things, and by then it's really not even important nor useful.
  13. LaughingDead

Then you have to justify that a sniper rifle can hit a target at farther ranges faster and more accurately than a mobile armored cannon platform.

Vehicles will never be scaled to life, mostly because devs want people to be able to play vehicles without harsh limiters, infantry don't want to get pegged by armor, tanks just wanna tank.
  14. Ketenks

So we are all fine with the blackhand having no bullet drop from 150m or so but a sniper rifle with 550m/s has to shoot from the next dot down on the scope? The pistol shoots like what you would expect a bullet to do but it handles like a game gun rather than a real gun. A pistol while standing would never hit something 150m out. I could reliably kill moving targets better with the blackhand than I could with a 550m/s suppressed sniper.

That is the problem this thread is pointing out. All the other points are not getting that. How can a pistol be doing far more than what you'd expect at long range than a sniper in terms of having to lead the target? We are talking about how much you have to lead targets. That's it. And it's clearly unbalanced.
  15. Scroffel5

then nerf the blackhand, not buff every gun to compensate for everything unbalanced. If you did buff the NUMBERS of bullet velocity and not the actual velocity, that would justify why the guns seem faster or slower. However buffing the actual velocity doesn't change anything. The Blackhand would still fire just as it still does, but the bullet would faster. The suppressed bolt actions would still fire the same as they still would, but just a bit faster.

Also on the topic of suppressors, the suppressor makes a gun's barrel just a bit longer. So why the heck does it make your bullet go slower? There is a video of why game suppressors aren't like real suppressors. There's no need to put a downside to everything, DBG. A suppressor can just make your gun silenced, but takes up that slot and you can't put a different barrel attachment on.
    • Up x 1
  16. Jbeasty

Im with you, but I'd settle for them making a suppressor actually reduce your gun fire audio, rather than making it louder and more distinguishable in most cases. Some VS weapons such as the Nyx and eidolon get damn near mute with them though, which I have been exploiting heavily lately =). NC and TR suppressors are so abrupt and obvious, I constantly hear them over standard gunfire...

But I'll take what I can get, I had been asking for a reduction in velocity penalty LONG before the buff. Love that they actually did it finally.
  17. Demigan

Yes, everyone is fine with it handling like a game weapon BECAUSE ITS A GAME. You dont say "hah, we could go for unbalanced realism or we could go for the fun gamified weapon route, lets screw ourselves with realism". When are you going to get that?

Seriously they could simply have doubled every measurement in the game and you wouldnt have noticed. 300m becomes 600m, 550m/s becomes 1100m/s. The distances and sizes in-game wouldnt change and it makes sense that the nano-printed planetside soldiers would use monomolecular materials to become larger and stronger so their sizes wouldnt make a difference. And in the end? Your idea of "realism" wouldnt have mattered anyway. If doubling the distances doesnt cut it, do 2,5, triple or quafruple if you want.

And yes, even then you can make a case for the blackhand having different properties to a sniper rifle. Because of the monomolecular nature of the soldiers they are almost impossible to pierce, hence a tank canon to the face does not rip the face off. The concussive force and nanites is what kills them (if you can construct something with nanites its easier to break down with nanites). The bullets a sniper uses simply have different characteristics than the blackhand version due to the mixture of different nanites and concussive force, and ehich nanites can survive the acceleration.

This may sound like ludicrous to you, but considering that they have access to monomolecular construction but lack knowledge of the full system (remember this is tech lightyears ahead of the humans left by the VANU aliens) it is the most realistic scenario.
    If you wanted more realism with the technology displayed then it would be a battle fought by AI, nanite clouds, artillery aimed by micro sattelites in the stratosphere that can view the ground in detail as if you out a microscope against it and humans wouldnt even be considered useful enough for canonfodder.
  18. iller

It's too high already. Maybe instead... work the SIDE-GRIDE angle and add way more High Velocity Ammo slots to existing guns while expanding the other Ammo options in general. ....Don't get too crazy like World-of-Tanks did with Pay2Win ammo, just allow for real options in this section that have real downsides (but not prohibitively punitive ones like Silencers used to have on Bolt Actions)
  19. That_One_Kane_Guy

Go to the VR range and shoot directly at a bot's head with the Blackhand at 150m and see if you get a headshot. If you don't, adjust your aim until you are hitting the head, then switch to a CQB Bolt with the same magnification and see where you aim to hit the head.
    Per Iridar's website and the game's own API the Blackhand and the CQB Bolt Actions share the same 550m/s muzzle velocity. However, Bolt Action rifles actually benefit from reduced bullet gravity(7.5 m/s/s) compared to normal weapons (11 m/s/s). So not only should the Blackhand not have any less bullet drop than a 550m/s sniper, unless there are other unaccounted-for factors at play it should actually have more.

Obviously if you're using a suppressor you are losing out on velocity (~467m/s) but that is your choice, not a fault of the weapon. Be thankful, real-life subsonic ammunition will drop your velocity to ~330m/s, so you are actually overperforming in that regard.

Jerry Miculek disagrees.
  20. frozen north

From personal experience, it's generally tanks that are the kings of range, namely with single shot cannons on lightnings and MBT's. Plus, half the time, and MBT is using missiles, which would be slower then bullets ( looking at you halberd).

True, there is some playing fast and loose with things, of that I can't deny, but overall, it's fairly accurately scaled.