[Suggestion] Urgently needed changes (Vulcan and Lumine Edge)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clipped!, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Clipped!

You know how the Ripper (TR) and the Carver (NC) play a sound while they're activated that lets you know when they're nearby? I've been killed by VS Infil Knife-zerkers using Lumine Edge (VS) more times than I can count and I've never once heard it have an audio tell like the other factions' "cheeseblades". That needs to changed so that it also has a sound tell.

The Vulcan itself also needs a nerf not only because how much dps it has, but also how long it can sustain that dps, and that it do that at range despite that it supposedly intended to be a close range option for the TR. This is not just because of the damage falloff range, but also because the damage falloff penalty is not severe enough. Otherwise, it's possible to remain entirely out of (tank) shelling range using a harasser with a supposedly short range weapon and hardly take a scratch.

I would also like to mention that the Lightning's Skyguard is almost laughable against a Liberator that decides it wants to blow you up. And by that I mean appear out of nowhere even with a high rank engagement radar over a triple stack (those very common three story buildings) at a low altitude and and just sit there stationary while they fire at your front end with one gun (belly or front) until you blow up.

With the main difference between ESFs and Liberators being that Libs have two third more health and take not quite a third less damage from flak and being a larger and more visible target. This means it takes way more ammo to kill a lib. That's understandable, it's meant to be a flying tank. but since it deals far more damage to Skygaurd lightnings regardless of gun the Lib uses than the Skygaurd lightning it can also can easily win a one on one (front or belly gun, not both) even when the lib is completely stationary and almost within ramming range (approximately 50 meters vertically, and 50 meters horizontally).

I find it rather stupid and ridiculous when you're using a one main tank equipped with an anti-aircraft cannon that is designed to blow up aircraft, but it cannot kill a close range stationary "flying tank", let alone even get it burning before it blows you up with ease. Does that sound at all balanced? Because it doesn't sound balanced to me.

I would suggest doing one of the following to adjust the Skygaurd-Liberator balance:
    A) slightly decreasing the damage resistance that liberators have to HMGs (the Skyguard's bullet impact damage type)
    B) specifically grant liberators a moderate damage vulnerability to the Skygaurd's direct damage (the HMG bullets, not the flak explosion)
    C) have the Skygaurd grant a moderate damage resistance to the topside of the Lightning, or specifically against Liberator based weapons.

The Skygaurd's flak damage itself doesn't need an increase as it already shreds ESFs at medium to long range, so that is why I believe these are likely to be the best options for an adjustment to the Skygaurd and/or Liberators.
  2. Jbeasty

1. Have heard VS knife as well as the other two; cant relate.

2. Vulcan, recently had its buff nerfed a bit, I think it is acceptable now, but haven't truly tested it post nerf. They were out of their minds though with that buff they gave it. Was as strong as the mjolnir and had 10x the range of doing nearly the same damage. If you made this thread before the nerf I'd agree 100%. I went back to Connery TR just to use that and was laughing hysterically at how stupid OP it was. Different story now though.

3. 3 man air tank vs 1 man tank. I think the lib should have the advantage, but they should NOT be able to fly so close like they do without serious penalty. If they are within ~100 meters of a skyguard (or any flak for that matter), they should take at LEAST double the damage they currently do.
  3. adamts01

Vulcan: I suggest you try the gun before you cry nerf. Attacking a tank at Max damage range is suicide unless you work in pairs, and it won't do more than tickle at range. The gun isn't overpowered by any stretch of the imagination.

Skyguard: You're right. The tank sucks. It's sucked ever since CAI when it lost its ability to somewhat fight ground. As for AA ability, it's already too powerful for how easy it is to use. How hard it is to use a weapon NEEDS to be tied to its effectiveness in a shooter. Period. Daybreak made a huge mistake of making weapons so niche that there was no other option than making them too powerful considering their ease of use, air locks and flak being the main offenders. You want a more effective Skyguard? So do I. So instead argue for a change to the mechanic. It needs to be a direct fire platform.
    • Up x 3
  4. JobiWan

Ripper is definitely the loudest of the three power knives. It either needs to be made quieter or the others louder.

Vulcan doesn't need a nerf.

Skyguard, yes, it's poop.
    • Up x 2
  5. Pelainis117

Skyguard is fine. You can have like 80 kph so just make fast mobility and non of liberators can do anything on you. It cost 350 nanites. Liberator cost 450 you can't make a cheaper vehicle be more effective as it is now.

P.S
    I spawn skyguard sometimes and I never had any issues taking down liberator or any other plains. (suggestion) place yourself on top of the mountain and in few mins you gonna get so many plain kills that no one even gonna fly there.
  6. frozen north

The ripper desperately needs some work done. It's far, far to loud in it's current incarnation, at least compared to it's counter parts.

Vulcan is actually fine at this point. Strong perhaps, but certainly not overpowered.
    • Up x 1
  7. Campagne

I don't really think the Ripper is any louder than the Carver. But the Lumine Edge is almost totally silent even in the player's own hands and cannot be heard in an actual fight.

The Lumine Edge is supposed to be balanced by the very loud and distinct sound played when the knife is activated, but in my opinion but the single-time noise doesn't matter when the thing can be taken anywhere without making noise. While a Carver or Ripper don't make the initial sound they can be heard constantly. The Lumine Edge has an unfair advantage while it's supposed to be a carbon-copy weapon with ES-aesthetics.

In my opinion, the activation sound should be removed and the passive noise needs to be much more loud, on par with the other two knives.
    • Up x 1
  8. frozen north

or the inverse needs to happen, but yes.
  9. iller

2 Skyguards working together will easily down a Lib. ... I Skyguard Constantly and there's only 1 of me but there's up to 3 people Crewing the Liberator .... and if the Tail gunner also has Bulldog, then yeah my Lightning should get Splattered real quick by it

(which I'm fine with... I always go Stalker infiltrator to bail out and hide+redeploy when I Drive one b/c I expect to constantly get chased down by Magriders and VulcanHarrassers anyway)
  10. strikearrow

The skyguard is too expensive. It needs to cost 200 nanites or be given a huge buff. You should be able to pull one and then abandon it when the aircraft leave your AO - unless it was made into a harasser shredding machine (i.e. two highky skilled harassers could solo it, but a single MBT or another lightning could solo relatively easy) and if so then 350 nanites would be fine.

Liberators are a bit too tanky given their speed, but I think that other problems in the game are more concerning. For instance, I don't think 3 engineers should be able to out-repair the damage an ESF with a stock nosegun and hornets/rockets [I don't use coyotes or tomcats as they are so low skill it's embarrassing] can dish out. It is crazy that hornets rek tanks, but do very little to liberators. It is frustrating to set a liberator aflame only to have it land and repair while the damage you pour into it is repaired to the point where it can fly away. I end up just circling it and trying to pick-off the engineers as I know I will run out of ammo before blowing it up while they repair.