[Suggestion] Weapon Banners?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OldYetNewNoob, Sep 23, 2018.

1. OldYetNewNoob

TL.DR - Unlockable Weapon Banners for Achieving Auraxium Medal with a Weapon. Store-bought Stat-Tracking Upgrade.

The core gameplay of this game is great, but... It lacks a tremendous amount of personalization through game-play.

There's Auraxium Medals that give certs, sure, but If I got a weapon that I really like, I want to express that in more ways that just using it, IE: Weapon Banners.

As of this moment I'm a TR scrub that loves the Infiltraitor and cloaking behind enemy lines and knifing medics up. Currently working on getting Auraxium with the Ripper. Fortunately there's a Ripper Banner for the TR already, so I'm going to purchase that, let my slain enemies know that I'm a "Knife Maniac"

However, this is a rare case: Few weapons have banners that you can purchase, and there are no specific banners that you can unlock. (mostly class banners)

If more Weapon Banners were available to purchase, or as a game-play incentive (for new players), were available to unlock, I think this would be beneficial.

To add another layer to these banners, (outside of just unlocking them, and to appeal to Vets), it could also be beneficial to have Stat-tracking Banners, showing your enemy how many kills you've gotten with a weapon, in addition to showing your medal level.

I'd personally make the Stat-tracking variant purchase-able with Daybreak Cash, but with the need to achieve the Auraxium Weapon Banner first.

I think, that this kind of personalization/progression with weapons would be a good thing for this game.

Comments/Critique?

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. Campagne

Sounds fun, I like it!

I don't know about stat-tracking ones though, that sounds a like a bit too much work to implement.
  3. OldYetNewNoob

Maybe. And just the Static Weapon Banners themselves would be fantastic.

But you know how they show the Killer's/Player's Battle Rank number over-top of whatever banner they have equipped? Do the same thing in a standardized position with a unique to the weapon (or Standardized) font, pulling from a global value that pulls from a specific weapon statistic (selected by chosen stat-tracking banner) in the opponents "My Stats".

(Also, the stat-tracking ones would only be purchase-able, because of the extra work (and only after unlocking the static one), while the static ones are purely unlock-able (work labeled as a service))

Weapon Banners should be designed with the standardized position in mind, though, if ever it's slated for a much later implementation.

Edit: I should also mention that the "Killed [Playername]" small UI popup when you kill an enemy would only ever show the static banner.
    • Up x 1
  4. OldYetNewNoob

A low-res sketch of a potential design:
    [IMG]
  5. OldYetNewNoob

6. OldYetNewNoob

Redesign V2:
    [IMG]
  7. OldYetNewNoob

Think I've got a finalized version for the TR weapons:
    Would you consider using something like this as your banner (if there was a TR weapon you enjoyed)
    [IMG]
  8. Campagne

I'm not sure. Currently I use the Executive banner from the sidearms directive, which I quite like. I think I might use a banner like that for some weapons though!
  9. OldYetNewNoob

The executive is NC, if you were to choose between the TR Concrete variant, or this one (with the Executive title and icon), which would you prefer? Still the Executive Banner?
    [IMG]
  10. Campagne

I think it'd still take the Executive banner because it's shiny and sparkly. I'd definitely like the concrete-esque version of other guns though. The wood style is interesting but I personally don't think I'd choose it.
    • Up x 1
  11. That_One_Kane_Guy

I wouldn't mind seeing this or something similar implemented.

Battlefield had a similar concept to show your proficiency with a weapon. Instead of showing the kill number specifically, your "Service Stars" with a weapon were displayed on your opponents death screen when you killed them. Each star was ~100 kills if I recall correctly.

It was a useful mechanic not just for personal flair but it also let you know what players to look out for, i.e. when "Cmdr_UberSpoon_xXx" kills you and you see he has 150 Stars on his M-16 you know you need to bring your A-Game.