[Suggestion] We do not need BOTH VR and Koltyr...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarAnubis, Sep 14, 2018.

1. DarkStarAnubis

... so instead of having two purgatories, let's have a single, half-paradise hopefully:

VR goes away and Koltyr is revamped to make it more interesting and palatable without investing a lot of DEV effort:

- dynamic map: Koltyr will re-use a real map (Indar, Amerish, Esamir, Hossin, ...), the last locked continent. So new players will learn true base geometry/geography.
    - all weapons/equipments (including directive ones) will be available for use
    - players < BR15 will get normal XP for everything they do, but Deaths and Kills won't be recorded
    - players > BR15 will get reduced XP for everything they do (say 25%-50% ?), but Deaths and Kills won't be recorded

Why?
    To restore the original purpose of Koltyr (training ground for players < BR15) allowing new players to get XP (hence certs, hence equipment) before jumping into the fray
    To ensure the base/continent knowledge gained on Koltyr is 100% transferred to the real continents/bases
    To allow all players to experience all the weapons and equipment, even the elusive directive ones.
    To give to players > BR15 an incentive to go on Koltyr, practice and transfer their knowledge and skills, getting some XP while doing that
    To avoid killing for the sole purpose of killing and farming, K/D counters are frozen.
    • Up x 4
  2. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Though we don't have plans to make any changes to Koltyr in the near future, I really like the concept of it having a dynamic map. This could potentially be very valuable to new players, though I'm not sure about the XP grants - we wouldn't want to pull players away from the actual continents. It's definitely something to think about, though!
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

What would be awesomesauce for Koltyr: Make spawning there predictable so outfits can leverage it to scrimmage without disrupting the real game or stat padding. ie: Let a squad redeploy to the same instance, let an opposition squad do the same.

You might even then have an arena worthy of MLG attention once more.

Tis greatness within your grasp, DBG :D
    • Up x 1
  4. Campagne

I wouldn't be against a better Koltyr, but the VR absolutely should stay as is. There needs to be a quiet place where players will always have targets to shoot without ever being bothered or killed while trying to test a new weapon.

If I want to test the theoretical shots to kill of a motion sensor crossbow against infantry with only headshots or check the exact number of shots from a GODSAW in AV mode from 100 meters away to set a sundy on fire I really don't need some ground-pounder coming over to interrupt me.
    • Up x 2
  5. Bansheedragon75

I would like to add to this that from what I understand the targets in VR is the weakest they can be.
    I think it would help much for the testing of a weapon if these targets were instead the strongest they could be.
    By doing that it would give a much better representation of the weapons effectiveness against it's intended targets.

I found myself many times testing a weapon in VR and have it seem like a great weapon, only to find it's nowhere near as good as it appeared since the targets I fire at in live take more shots to take down than what it appeared to when testing them in VR.
    • Up x 2
  6. raffa2

Consider XP grants on players < 15BR.
    I think it would actually improve the new player experience as it might encourage new players to play on koltyr (which is completely empty on PC) with other players of similar skill and also try out all the equipment.
    • Up x 1
  7. freedom_burger

Revamp Koltyr, sure, but don't remove VR training. I just want to test out how damage, drop off, et cetera work with weapons I intend to buy from time to time and doing that on Koltyr is a lot worse since there are no targets, obviously.
    • Up x 1
  8. Celthon

Just started playing last night...played few hours, mostly spent standing in corner and reviewing settings/commands/keys, etc. Went to Koltyr and killed a cpl. others, and have been killed a bunch of times...but when I look at my stats nothing changes -- everything is still at zero. Is there no xp or credits for things done on Koltyr, or have I got my settings messed up somehow (still have huge amount of learning ahead).

Thank you for your time and assistance.
  9. Sazukata

Hello again!

Koltyr is the "waiting room" continent. There's a queue if one faction has too much population compared to the others, so the overflow is placed in Koltyr. The terminal with a globe icon in the middle of the room in the warpgate is what you use to get to a different continent.
  10. Desann

Keep VR.

When Koltyr was announced I was against it. Learn to play the game like all of us PS1 vets did....by playing the game.
    • Up x 1
  11. strikearrow

With clientside hit detection, PS2 will never be MLG. Still your idea is good.
  12. Asic

Koltyr could incorporate what is currently VR - quite a lot of room in the warp gate bubble for all the dummies, 95% of players don't venture beyond the base in VR. They could add area behind warp gate farther away from map's centre with pain field (like what you get when too close to spawn room or WG).
  13. strikearrow

Not possible for a client-side hit-detection game - way way way did I state WAY! too easy to hack.
  14. strikearrow

15. iPervy

Koltyr as a VR place was a cool idea on paper, but in practice no one really uses it. Worse is that I'd image a good chunk of new players will go there not know it is a VR room with no EXP gain - and sense its empty of players often times they'll not know better, and just go wandering about aimlessly likely misinterpreting the game to be boring. I know had I joined the game new, I totally would have done that haha.

Be nice if Koltyr had a on screen/in chat notice explaining no exp is gained here, and that its a VR place to practice your weapons. That said I could see us being better without Koltyr for sake of simplicity as unfortunately since I imagine it has a chance of doing more harm then good (for new folk) with it's poor use in practice. Was worth giving it a shot though.

Also wouldn't mind having it be setup like VR with lots of random npc targets in all kinds of locations so you can have a more live map scenery in practicing your weapons with the added plus of also having real players to practice against to given they venture forward. Also it makes it clear that the map itself is a VR room with npc targets.
  16. Twin Suns

Kolytr and VR should be combined into a single map and renamed

"Circus Horrificus"

Maxes get the elephant skin.
    Heavies get the lion skin.
    Miller Lite™ Assaults get the monkey skin.
    N-G's get the Lion tamer skin.
    Infils get the clown skin.

*puts out arm* Cotton Candy anyone?
  17. Ares8

I think VR should stay as well, but Koltyr needs some changes so it actually serves a purpose because as of now nobody plays on it.
    I have a few suggestions I think would help. I don't think it needs to be deleted or be a rotating map. Instead it should be a place where everyone gets XP, while still being able to use all the guns, but you put a cap on it for players over br15. You can't play there for more then 30 mins or such to discourage everyone from just fighting there. XP for players over 15 will be reduced. Xp encourages some type of pop on the map and gives the noobs something to do. I also think their should be a set of objectives/directives you can complete on koltyr as a new player to give them a general idea on what it takes to bring a base down and how to attack it.

One more crazy idea is to have targets on koltyr in different areas on the bases that shoot back when shot at, would be easier to implement than adding bots. This would give the player some of type of meta and challenge while also improving his aim. The targets would be in good postion, behind cover on top of towers, around the point. (Players over br 15 will not receive any xp from killing targets)