Remove k/d stat and deaths from the viewable public

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JDS999, Sep 1, 2018.

1. TobiMK

KD alone is never a good indicator of anything. First you can begin by looking at pure infantry KD, to eliminate factors like vehicles and MAXes. Then you could go even further and look at IVI KD, which doesn't include shotguns, snipers and other "easy mode" weapons.

But even beyond that there are other things to consider. Kills per Minute (KPM) can give an indication of how active a player is in any given battle regarding killing. Accuracy and Headshot Ratio give indications towards a player's aim. Score per Minute can give some insight on how much a player participates in fighting and supporting combined.

If you take all of these stats together, you are able to create a very detailed (and in most cases very accurate) depiction of how a player does in Planetside 2. Nevertheless, those all remain indicators and are never fully definitive in describing a player.

But just dismissing stats completely is foolish and is often an excuse used by players that simply refuse to improve by any measurement.
    • Up x 1
  2. Twin Suns

You're logic is on point. Kudos to you.

o7
  3. PlanetBound

It is a means to report cheaters.
    • Up x 1
  4. OneShadowWarrior

I’ve heard people rant about K/D Ratios like it’s a fashion statement, but who really cares. I often just ignore it and just play the game for enjoyment......
    • Up x 1
  5. TR5L4Y3R

no one dismisses stats completely .. but general KD to this type of game has rather little overall value ...
    territorycapture, defense, suply and supportive actions should be what are displayed when holding tap or on your killscreen
    or if it realy is about kills as a sniper/infil than display what classes have been killed, show hacks or ammount of intel support ..
    like ally killed enemy in your intelarea kinda stuff ..
    these kinda detailed stats ..
    • Up x 1
  6. Twin Suns

By definition, a stat/statistic is a form of measurement.

"In statistics, the term measurement is used more broadly and is more appropriately termed scales of measurement. ... The four scales of measurement are nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio. Nominal: Categorical data and numbers that are simply used as identifiers or names represent a nominal scale of measurement."

I can definitely see the benefits cheaters would have with certain stats hidden from view. Same thing with People who think they got game and don't. ;).

Not to mention, all the alt characters most schizophrenic gamers have. :) Oh look it's one of those names, yyyfgggr. Let's look up you're stats Mr. yyyfgggr. Let's see if you're a shady gamer or just out an about on you're...junk, TK, helping a friend boost character. Hmmmm.

My stats are hidden sadly, not by my choice. You see I chose to play PS2 on the PS4 instead of my PC rig. Reason being I don't like crafting in a multiplayer shooter. So I chose to play as a peasant. Unfortunately, I have to use some form of recursion to see my overall stats on the PS4.

Bottom line....PC Master Race, higher life forms, the deities that you are...you're freedom is next.

"Give them an inch and they'll take a mile".

o7
  7. MonnyMoony

I'm not dismissing stats completely - but you have to weigh up the benefit of having the stat compared to the downsides.

IMO KDR is far to generic a stat and is too widely misunderstood to be useful, but it does massively influence gameplay by encouraging protectionism and discouraging high risk objective based gameplay.

There are far better stats that could be implemented and which would give a far better indication of a players overall skill level, as well as their worth to the team.

Kill based stats are largely irrelevant in this game. It doesn't matter how many people you kill if the objective is overlooked. You could 'kill' a million people - but if you don't take out the spawn point, capture the objective or take out the medics - all you are doing is cranking the handle on a meat grinder. That IMO is not 'skill'.
  8. TobiMK

What KD does a cheater have exactly?
    • Up x 1
  9. TobiMK

Unfortunately the game doesn't really give any meaningful info related to territory, but the issue there is more fundamental anyway. Territory in this game is inherently meaningless, unless a player inserts meaning into it by deciding to care for it. In that regard territory is similar to KD and other stats. Unless the player decides to care for one of those things, they mean nothing and have no influence on the rest of the game or its players.

One difference between stats and territory as means of evaluating a player's effectiveness is that stats are more fleshed out in the information you gather. If you wanted to know whether a player's usefulness in regards to territory is high or low, you lack important info like population percentage during fights. Stats like KD, KPM, etc. can be combined to create at least a somewhat accurate depiction.
    • Up x 1
  10. TR5L4Y3R

speaking for myself KD is entirely useless to me as i am not the type that goes purely for combat
    i play mostly supportive second line of fire as engineer so whatever kills i may get may rather be kill steals or kill assists ..
    • Up x 1
  11. Twin Suns

It's not about the actual KDR number per say,

Its just another stat/tool for measurement that would be excluded from the work/calculations as you so eloquently stated above, earlier in this thread.

Anyhoot, that's what I meant by KDR being helpful in spotting cheaters or suspicious activity.

o7
  12. LodeTria

You can also use FISU to see your ps4 characters: https://ps2.fisu.pw/player/?name=
    Just change that PC icon to PS4 EU or NA and search away.
    • Up x 1
  13. Silkensmooth

Just make it so you cant shoot through spawn room shields. Done. Your welcome.
  14. Twin Suns

Sorry killer, the FISU has never worked for me. Ever....
  15. PlanetBound

The KD alone is meaningless. You would need more info. The KD combined with time played, kill interval, enemy names will indicate reasonable playtime. 15 hours with 5,000 headshots could be stat padding or a hack in use. You would be applying common sense.
    • Up x 1
  16. MonnyMoony

Indeed - high KD doesn't indicate hacking as they could just be a spawn warrior or careful sniper.

What indicates hacking to me is lots of rapid, high accuracy kills using an inaccurate or improbable weapon/attachment combo.
    • Up x 1
  17. TobiMK

What would such a combo be? It's not like any gun in this game is so hard to control that you actually need to use specific attachments to make it usable.
  18. freedom_burger

Definitely agree. KD obsessed Heavy players are so annoying. Devs should really remove these stats from the API.
  19. TobiMK

What is so annoying about high KD players (provided they aren't passive campers)? Players like that will generally be of more help to a faction that most others, simply by removing large amounts of enemies from a fight rather quickly. If they are smart, they'll even do it close to the objective, because that's where the most kills will be available.
    • Up x 1
  20. LodeTria

They farm bads, which most on this forum are. Naturally they come up with all silly excuses like "they don't help the points" or "I'm a support player!" even though the better heavy could probably just as easily kill them on any other class.
    • Up x 1