Bug (not cheat) : not doing damage. C4 example with very short video to illustrate

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inzababa, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Inzababa

I was wondering if this could explain why very often, people complain about "not doing damage".

I myself have often reported a player because "he was taking no damage". As a matter of fact, people have reported me for that same reason, even though I don't and have never cheated.

If my (long shot) theory is correct, there are times when the enemy or his vehicle or his beacon or whatever SHOULD take damage but does not.

In this case, it is very clear that I place the C4 on a burning Harasser. I know a C4 isn't supposed to kill a Harasser, but it is clear in the video bellow that the Harasser was burning.

When I ignite the C4, you can see the detonation in the video, its on the Harasser, and you can see the flames, it's still burning.

Yet the Harasser does not explode.

This leads me to believe that whatever the bug or explanation, it could apply to other situations where the enemy, with whatever weapon and whatever situation, is not taking damage even though he should.

ie -> I don't think that this is an issue specific to C4.

2. NXR1

Sounds like a combination of lag and clientside damage models, if there was someone inside the harasser it very easily could've just been that due to lag his client never registered the C4 as going off or maybe on his client he was really far away from it.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

The issue the OP is referring to, I think, is the Harasser not exploding when the C-4 did. The delayed damage is obvious clientside hit detection where those shots were taken before the C-4 went off. In practice, however, if the OP saw the C-4 explosion effect, the vehicle would also be seen exploding shortly thereafter if not at the same time.

The stock Harasser burns when less than 500 health. C-4 deals 2187 against the Harasser at point-blank range. Even with max rank Composite Armor, where the vehicle would have 3000 health, and were the burning state recalculated for that, it would still only need less than 600 health to burn. The C-4 should be fatal if it landed where we think it did.

I wish more to this video existed than six seconds trapped in time. What happened before and what happened after are crucial to understanding whether this encounter is just typical latency or is especially egregious. If the video were longer at the start, we'd get a better idea in regards to how long the OP and the Harasser driver had contact with each other and get a better idea for how delayed those damage packets are capable of being. If the video were longer at the end, we'd get a better idea what happened to the Harasser and its driver after the C-4 went off. The implication is that the vehicle never exploded but we need more time to confirm that due to network delay.
    • Up x 1
  4. NXR1

Yeah I was almost hesitant to respond just due to how little there is to go off, it definitely seems like a case of lag to me though, but without knowing what happened afterwards and even beforehand theres just not enough evidence to say anything.
  5. Inzababa

I appreciated much of your reply, not all of it though ! :)

What happens before and after is irrelevant because I am not in contact or visual range of the harrasser before or after that video. I won't make a new longer video but I can tell you :

Before : I run up hill, kill one guy on the right, reach top of hill and rush down the hill towards harasser while hip firing the engineer who was repairing his harasser. The engineer jumps in his vehicle as he gets shot and I switch to c4. The rest you can see.

After : I was very surprised that it didn't explode and got shot by infantry and died.

But you do make a very good point about the lag, which I was going to say, if it was a lag problem, I wouldn't see (or hear) the C4 explosion. You can clearly see it on the video; a harrasser explosion should immediately follow.

EDIT -> watched the full video again, after I die, I click "accept" the rewards for locking continent, and a short time after, I get the message that the Harrasser has exploded. Most likely it simply burned out.
  6. Trigga

How long after c4 detonation did you die?
    There is a strange lag recently(i say recently, first saw it 5 years ago......thnx devs youre great...) that happens when you kill stuff (doesnt seem to happen with guns / bullets, more with explosives / shells).
    It can take plus of 6 seconds for your kill to actualy register.
    So you did get the kill, it just didnt actually explode for several seconds due to lag.

For example;
    Shoot a burning lib with titan AP, receive hit marker and hear kill shot noise. The lib then continues flying AND SHOOTING for ~6 seconds until it finally explodes.
    Worst part is during this time its already dead, meaning its invulnerable for those seconds and can kill you and your vehicle, when it should already be dead.
    Worst part of this is killing a vehicle, esf, flash, harry, sundy, etc etc etc, and watching the pilot (and crew) all jump out and escape death due to the lag, up to 12 kills stolen by the game.....
    Especially bad if you happen to be trying to get aurax on a Anni or Swarm for example...

They seriously need to fix this....

But im guessing the idiot will be in here shortly to tell us its all our end, and that planetside is perfectly coded and never breaks.....
  7. Inzababa

I died precisely 4 seconds after the c4 was detonated. Never heard of that bug, never saw it either..

What I have seen, which is why I made the thread, is damage that should occur not always occuring, no matter what the target is and no matter what weapon is used.

c4 in this example is great, because no one can deny that it denotated since there is the sound and visual effects. Also visually obvious is that the harrasser was burning since we can see the flames.

That harrasser should have exploded. I have no idea what went wrong but I feel it's the same problem that occurs in other situations.
  8. iller

Sort of... but backwards... It's definitely a Damage model Desynch on the Client's end but that client was the OP's. It happens to me frequently b/c of hitching and bad server routing. (other players becoming invincible for a short period....ESPECIALLY when it comes to A.A. Flak registering but dealing no DPS) ..

Fixing it for C4 is easy, just make the C4 100% clientside or maybe even 33% "Interpolation" negotiated with the client C4 was thrown at "upon visibility" as the reference point for the trigger delay to begin then there wouldn't be ANY timing desynch or damage packet negotiation from the thrower for the SQL+ISP-backline to booger up in the first place