[Suggestion] variable XP gained for killing/rezzing

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarAnubis, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DarkStarAnubis

Proposal:
    the amount of XP gained for killing and/or rezzing varies also (all other existing variable factors remain) according to the distance between the spawn point and the location where the player has been killed (or rezzed).

The higher the distance between the spawn-point and the location the higher the XP gained and conversely, the amount of XP gained for killing (or rezzing) someone very close to the spawn point is close to zero.

Rationale:
    The longer the distance, the longer the downtime (amount of time in which the player is out of action because he needs to move from the spawn to the front line), so the kill (or the rezz) is more valuable.

Side Effects:
    As attacker, camping the spawn room will earn kills but pitiful XPs. So the spawn campers will look for more lucrative opportunities. Remove the spawn campers, remove the spawn warriors.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

This is creative. Nice.

Does it account for Sunderers, or just spawn-rooms?
    I assume it has a cap-point, as well for the EXP.
  3. DarkStarAnubis

Sunderers as well (and also Routers).

Camping nearby a Sunderer and waiting for people to spawn and farm them mercilessly as opposed to destroy the Sunderer should not bring a lot of XPs...

And yes, capped.
    • Up x 1
  4. Sazukata

Slightly related: Killing someone who just spawned used to reward only 25 XP. I can see the reasoning behind it, but it was probably scrapped due to it encouraging players to wait for enemies to orient themselves rather than doing one's best to suppress a sunderer until AV arrives.
  5. Demigan

Although XP gains are a reason to spawncamp, KD whoring is a far larger reason. You would mostly get people who are screwed out of their XP or get way too much because of this.

Example: defenders of a Biolab are likely not going to be worth much for a good section of the biolab, especially with A point practically outside most spawnrooms. But even a Sunderer below the pad would be pretty far from anyone up top, and if they use a teleporter or jumppad the closest spawnpoint could be several hexes away.

Then theres spawnbeacons, routers and open squad vehicles. How are they going to affect this? One spawnbeacon or router nearby and suddenly everyone is cheap?

And since spawncampers are undoubtedly going to be far away from their spawn you've just encouraged spawn warriors.

The idea to reduce spawncampers is a good one but it might be prudent to only let it affect people in the painfield (they are cheaper) and reviving people far might in some cases/bases increase the reward. With exceptions being made for things like biolabs where no such rewards are given.
  6. Pacster3

They still reward only like 14xp...just the time is either really, really short now or it ends when the player moves(don't know).
  7. Demigan

Spawnkills first reward 0 XP, but can give killstreak and headshot XP with the usual bonuses. The player will not give XP in the first 10(?) seconds or so, or until he earns XP or until he has damaged an enemy player/vehicle.
  8. MonnyMoony

The whole XP system needs an overhaul IMO. It's far too focused on rewards for farming kills.

Support functions and objectives should be much better rewarded than they are.
    • Up x 2
  9. Twin Suns

[a REAL Side Effect]

Playing as an infill and I come across a Sunday. I don't have anything on me to take out said Sunday. Instead I spot it, put down a scan dart and communicate with my squad mates it's location.

Meanwhile, I'll engage any enemies spawning from said Sunday because I want to deny them an easy path to our base's letter. Until it's eliminated by a competent ordinance expert or armor.

In this instance, would I be punished with variable XP modifiers just for playing the game normally?

Also, would the attacker be punished for pushing a good fight over a critical gaming component?

The road to he// is paved with good intentions. Food for thought.

o7
    • Up x 1
  10. DarkStarAnubis

Let's say you would get less XP for killing a frozen enemy just materialized aside that Sunderer, with absolutely zero knowledge of the surrounding environment, while being already perfectly lined-up for an head-shot or lurking with an activated power knife, fully cloaked, compared to frantic CQC fighting around a control point in a building full of enemies and allies firing non-stop and grenades flying around.

Aren't you mixing "normal" playing with "easy" playing ;) ?
    • Up x 2
  11. Twin Suns

That's what I'm getting at, killer.

My infil doesn't have the ability to destroy the Sunday. I put out scan darts so my squad mates can locate it. Then I triangulate scan darts so my squad mates can see the ants leaving the mound.

I'm playing to win, I want to destroy the Sunday. Definitely not camp it. I want the enemy to stop attacking our base or stop the push.
    It's that simple. That's normal game play. *looks around* I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. Playing the game as it was intended.

Do you see what I'm getting at, I'm not trying to be a farmer at all.

o7
  12. Kcalehc

So stick down a personal waypoint, redeploy as a LA and C4/Roklet it. Farming the players spawning at it really doesn't help destroy a sunderer - it just alerts them that their sunderer has been found, and means that there are more of them next to it (instead of running for objectives) when friendlies arrive. You'd also be better waiting till friendlies are close and EMP'ing it, so they have a better window to take it out, while troops nearby are disoriented.
    • Up x 1
  13. Twin Suns

So if I even lift a finger to stop THE ENEMIES from moving away from the Sunday and running to take our base? It's farming.

Never mind that when my infil dies, I switch to the appropriate class that has the ordinance to take it down.

I'm not a farmer, I want to destroy it.

But if I go back with my appropriate class and destroy it and get 2 kills in the process..that's farming?

How and what determines farming then? Seems awfully vague this farming term.

o7
  14. Kcalehc

Yes, basically, easy kills on semi-unaware players that just spawned. It's often better to kill the sunderer first, to deny the spawn point, than stop the few that have already spawned from getting to the capture point - they are easy to mop up if they have no logistical support.

Which at no point up till now have you mentioned...

that's not what you said:
    No clearly not, (and again, at no point prior to now did you say you'd do that) that's collateral damage; you're killing the sunderer, not just mowing down unaware players while not attempting to kill the sunderer.

Getting easy kills in quick succession, while not really contributing to anything other than your own kill count; especially when its spawn-camping.
    • Up x 1
  15. Twin Suns

Semi-unaware players??? What are you going on about???

They knew they were spawning on a Sunday in enemy territory!
    They initiated the fight....But hey if the enemy kills any of us while we're attacking, it's farming.

Unaware enemies...bwahahahaha!
  16. Talthos

Personally, I'm still waiting for them to re-add getting decent XP for successful base defense.
    • Up x 2
  17. Twin Suns

This still as yet defined and vague term called "Farming".

Still waiting on le poopie de couture catch phrases' definitive definition.

It seems like a term that was stolen from the act of "boosting". Which must involve a mass conspiracy *shifty eyes* where everyone knows everyone....hmmmm.....
  18. Twin Suns

Last night I saw a lone puppy deploying their Sunday at the enemy's base. Just ignoring the fact their outnumbered. Surprise, the enemy puts up a fight. Lone puppy gets smashed over and over again. The lone puppy screams that he's being farmed. Out of frustration the lone puppy strikes a catch phrase stolen from boosting. The lone puppy uses it as a security blanket, even though the lone puppy had no business pushing that overpopulated base.

Then the lone puppy cries in chat that their being farmed...LOL

The lone puppy blames farming instead of their foolish decision to attack an overpopulated base.
    Seems this variable XP just punishes the defender for doing their job and doesn't punish the attacker for their bad decisions.

BTW, still waiting for the definition on this vague term called farming. Seems like you could apply the term to just about anything in game or life itself.
  19. SixNineFour

There is something like this already ingame, but it is based on exp earned. You get bonus exp for killing players who have earned certain amount of exp during a life.

It would be really nice if this applied to revives as well.