[Suggestion] Oshur

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Aug 30, 2018.

1. TRspy007

So excited for this continent I cant wait for it to come out! I have to congratulate the devs for their effort and I feel like there has finally been some communication between the devs and the players, so thank you for listening to us! I have one suggestion to add to this continent, a new vehicle. As described, Oshur will primarily be an island continent, and so it seems logical that boats and/or hovercrafts should be introduced along with the continent. This will add new playstyles and objectives for players to grind for. That's all, I cant wait to participate in Oshur early expeditions!
    • Up x 2
  2. LordKrelas

I'm looking forward to it.
    Should be interesting, having a new world to wage war on, let alone with what they said about it
  3. Kristan

Something told me that devs were about to introduce a new continent, but I'm a bit bitter that it wasn't volcanic Searhus that was work in progress long ago.
  4. Daigons

So the Magrider might actually be useful to get around in?
  5. elkikko92

Please not a new veichles; there are already galaxis without a role: finally, with island, taking a galaxy has a reason
  6. elkikko92

Has anyone the map of Oshur (PS2)?

In the movie of Oshur I dont understand what are the big structure--> 0:43
  7. AlcyoneSerene

They did mention in the livestream that planetside1's magriders could traverse over water bodies since they could hover on top of it, while infantry would walk down into water.

Perhaps this can be implemented again in some way that doesn't offset tank balance so magriders can hover over certain areas (as they do with mountains) whereas other vehicles would have to struggle in rough terrain under water to access.

Maybe magriders can be given a short cool-down type ability to sink or float into the water to not be at a complete disadvantage from other vehicles underneath them out of line of fire, since the forward thrust ability is kind of lacking in comparison to shields or lockdown/barrage.
  8. Trigga

Not just mags, we had small sundys called deliverers in the beginning, but were later changed to ES versions of the deliverer, Thunderer, Raider, and Aurora. These were amphibious.[IMG]
    ^Example of an NC deliverer variant, the Thunderer.

Vehicles that could also float over water included; the AT* Flail (mobile artillery), AT Switchblade (mobile deployable turret, mainly for AI) and the Thresher (VS empire specific buggy).
    *AT = Ancient Tech. Basically another type of NS that all empires could use.

In PS1 being under water restricted you from firing a weapon completely, mags didnt need any additional help in that respect. Infact mags had a distinct advantage as the water was clear to the bottom, so a mag user could see their enemy and wait at the appropriate place for them to appear out of the water.
    Being underwater clouded your vision somewhat, but that wasnt true the other way around.
    Had many many battles with enemies where i would enter the water to 'hide' as explosive rounds (tank shells etc) would not penetrate the water, only bullets. Of course, knives could still be used in the water.
    Then of course there was the 'flooded' and 'breath' timers, if you stayed under water too long your vehicle was toast. Your breath timer didnt go down till you exited the vehicle.
    Flooding timers wernt exactly long, quite short, the exception being the BFR. It had a massive under water flooding timer, many times greater than other vehicles.
    Hold breath timers were somewhere in the middle IIRC, sometimes allowing you to traverse a bridge under the water to flank suprised enemies.
    It was an awesome mechanic and i hope it returns.

If anyone has seen mythbusters where they shoot at targets underwater youll have noticed bullets actually do nothing when shot into water (if you want to argue this, take it up with Jamie / Adam).
    I hope theyll keep a similar theme and not just allow tanks or whatever to shoot out or into it at will, because they might aswel just remove it and have a canyon at that point.

My only concern is that we dont have any amphibious vehicles, and last time i checked even the mag sinks into plantside 2's water.
    • Up x 1
  9. Pikachu

I never thought there would be another continent. What is the motivation? Lots of money for no return. Also why make Oshur when they had already started on Searhus 5 years ago? :confused:
  10. LodeTria

Hossin was the largest resurgence of population this game has had.
    If I remember right, the only stuff of Searhus was a few texture sheets.
  11. Pikachu

I didn't notice any population bump fro Hossin but I did for Amerish revamp. About Searhus, from looking at the files there were some props done and the document that contains the position and size of bases on the map. Indicating that the terrain was done. Also a Searhus skyfile that was a copy of that of Amerish.

There is also this old photo. Shape of Searhus.
    [IMG]
  12. The Shady Engineer

Fleet carriers are the main faction spawn points, bases whose capture points help power anti-carrier missile silos, whoever destroys the enemy carrier wins the continent.

Am I the only one getting strong Battlefield 2142 Titan vibes? :D

Needless to say, I'm pretty hyped.
    • Up x 1
  13. elkikko92

I suggest this from the beginning of development of Planetside 2.
    Missing Battlefiled 2143
    • Up x 1
  14. elkikko92

15. Demigan

The idea of Oshur is unique and I'm looking forwards to it, but I am still 100% sure that this is a bad idea. If it fails we get another Hossin. If it succeeds people will hate when it isnt accessible due to too many players or because it's locked, if it's in the middle-ground it'll polarize people between who likes it and those who dont.
  16. TRspy007

i know, lava and volcanoes sounds better than islands, but it'll be a great addition as we wait for searhus. And don't quote me but i believe there's gonna be lava on Oshur!
  17. TRspy007

magriders r really slow though, im thinking of light vehicles like a hover flash or harasser.
  18. TRspy007

i was mostly thinking of light vehicles, maybe rafts or landing craft at most. I appreciate the role of the galaxy, just remember some players prefer to be lone wolves and would rather spend 50 nanites on a hover flash to cross islands than hundreds on aircraft. Also some people like me hate flying!
  19. TRspy007

Really glad you brought back underwater mechanics, the holdbreath implant would finally be useful to classes other than infils. Also you seem to have done research for guns irl when it comes to firing underwater, you seem to have forgotten that some specialized guns can shoot underwater up to 30m, and i hope that similar guns are introduced along with oshur, that sacrifice damage or range to be effective underwater.
    • Up x 1
  20. TRspy007

I like the idea off destroying fleet carriers to win the continent. Maybe use emp ground based missiles to knock down the carrier's shields and then storming it from the air using galaxys and valkeries, to sabotage the engines inside so the ship blows up kinda like HIVEs did back then .