[Suggestion] Tweak the Construction Directive goals?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Smoo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Smoo

Spawns is fine. Routers and tubes, and putting them in places where people use them.

Harvesting and Deposit are MOSTLY fine. They should be by TOTAL CORTIUM, not ticks. The current implementation rewards players who tap in tiny bits of cortium and wait for a tick. Not players who actually fuel bases.

AI/AA/AV turret kills is idiotic. They only lock onto things that are insanely close to bases. And they return fire, but anyone engaging a turret has a plan, and generally wins. AA and AV only get kills if someone screws up. AI turrets get a couple kills, but people hide behind behind stuff, sneak past them, or just kill them or their module.

Point is- turrets get kills RARELY. And even the "Expert" level seems to expect 160 kills? This will never happen, for nearly everyone.

Flail/OS kills? Maybe. Flails can't hit bases, so they're REALLY situational. It's not like you get many players inside construction bases, just waiting to be killed, they get bored and go to real fights. And you can't Flail actual bases for no real reason. The OS doesn't kill most of the people inside buildings, either.

And repairing? A base that is under enough attack to generate regular repair ribbons is DEAD. You can just cheese the directive by putting walls and an infantry tower down, and repairing the decay damage. But that's stupid and boring. (Though... lucrative!)

INSTEAD-
    Spawns is fine.
    Harvesting and deposit should be tweaked.
    Turret kills and repairing should be outright removed.
    Air spawns should be added!
    Ground spawns as well!
    Skywalls dropped by Glaive fire? (Each time it goes down.)

Perhaps... ticks of ammo for vehicles? Sure, you can fire one round and reload, but people do that for engineer ammo packs anyway, and it gets boring fast.

Routers pulled? This would by by people besides yourself- so you are incentivized to have OTHER people pull routers from your base. And probably, give them access to a vehicle pad as well.

Enemy construction items destroyed?

That's at least 6 viable metrics:
    1. Spawns
    2. Harvest
    3. Deposit
    4. Air Spawns
    5. Ground Spawns
    6. Skywalls dropped
    Plus maybe ammo ticks, routers pulled, and enemy construction killed.
  2. Smoo

Also- if you fill an ANT a little, drive off to the edge of the map, and put down a few walls and an infantry tower, maybe a bunker, and NO silo?

You can just sit there repairing them as they decay. As long as you like, or on the VERY off chance someone runs across you and shoots you.

It spams repair ribbons and summer support ribbons in a ridiculous manner. Toss on any sort of boost, and it's more XP than you can probably get fighting, for way less effort. Though... boring.

Also, it seems silly. Any base that took this much damage would be melted instantly, there is ALMOST no way that you could fill the directive by repairing base stuff that is under enemy fire. Since the stuff they go for first is WAY more delicate, and worth WAY less to repair.
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

Personally I think the construction directives should be split up into some sort of support and offence/defence sections. It would be nice if the Strategic section actually had a construction directive that was solely based around just that - construction. As it stands right now it's not really about construction but more on support such as repairs and spawns, or offence like turret kills, orbital strikes and flail kills.

They should split them up so that the support directive is specifically for the support of construction and the team. So X amount of spawns from X construction item as it currently is. Maybe even X vehicle/air spawns as you mentioned; or even X amount of cortium placed in silos that aren't your own.

Currently the silo fill cortium ribbons are just a rehash of the ANT directive and if I wasn't already sick of seeing people spawning silos just to cortium dump to get the directive then, I sure as hell am now because all those people will have to do the same thing they did back then, all over again for a new directive line. The auraxium reward for completing the support directive could be perhaps an aurax lumifiber for walls, or maybe even some kind of slightly unique-looking silo, or just the mandibles that are currently in place.

The offence/defence directive section would be the obvious, X amount of kills with X construction item, X amount of enemy construction items destroyed, X amount of enemy orbital strikes destroyed, X amount of players killed with the pain spire. That kind of thing. Then reward the player with something appropriate to the directive line.

But then again, a lot of the other directive lines (Exceptional I, II and Mayhem for example) could do with an overhaul as it is.
  4. Pacster3

The worst thing are the people that are that lauy that they drop their silo right on a cortium spawn. As long as the silo is alive the cortium will not spawn again...and your own faction can't kill the silo. Yesterday we lost 2 bug bases to such idiots...cause we couldn't refill our silos due to the spawns all around have been blocked. Cortium spaens should just destroy buildings....simple as that.
  5. SixNineFour

Construction objects count towards weapon kills, so the flail directive is actually pretty easy as it does very high damage to construction objects and has large AOE.

Though I am not sure about the turret kills, i would assume it counts when YOU use a turret to kill stuff. If that is the case then it is easy as you can pick any turret and use it offensively against infantry, vehicles and other construction objects to score kills.
  6. Armcross

Harvest and delivery isn't enough?
  7. ZDarkShadowsZ

If there were silos placed in the middle of nowhere, alone, just to cortium farm for directives, then sure. Otherwise, no they should not. If a person wants to place their base next to, or on top of cortium spawns they do so at both their own fault and risk.
  8. Pacster3

That is the logic behind making spawns destroy buildings. If you build there and your building gets destroyed that's your own fault and risk. It sucks if your own team can't do anything if a newbie blocks a spawn. I mean, you do not even know whose silo it is so you can not tell that person what he is doing wrong and how he is hurting his own team...
  9. csvfr

I don't see why the kill entries with constructs (OS/Flail/Turrets) are bound to the directive counting scheme. Practically any other directive with weapon kills are based on the actual weapon counters. Example: if you aurax the starting LMG before buying a new one, when the LMG directive goes to further tiers (Adept, Expert, Master) the entry for the LMG already auraxed is automatically completed. But if you for example aurax the OS before unlocking the Master building tier, the OS directive entry starts from scratch again and one needs to do it anew.
  10. Smoo

Well, no, it's not enough for a full directive. You need 5 things for a full directive, generally. Plus you want to have a few extra for different playstyles or tendencies.

Good notion. That too.
  11. iller

Why is anyone getting XP for repairing Degrading Walls in the first place? If I plop down towers or walls and then don't place a Silo or dont keep a silo filled (or build it out of bounds)... then the DOT damage-"scoring" done to those structures should be counted as exactly the same type my ANT takes when I roll it over a cliff.
  12. Pacster3

You notice that you need 7h of nonstop repairs for the directive right now...tha's an amount of time you will NEVER get done just repairing stuff that actually gets attacked(simply cause attacks either destroy things or attackers quit within a short time). Getting some xp for that dull work is more than appropriate.
    That being said: I'm done so it does not matter to me anymore.

Maybe cause those stats are tracked for auraxium guns...while base turrets are not tracked at all aside from that directive. That aside: You get pretty fast to last directive and until then you do not need the turret/OS/flail-stuff. You just do the lower tiers with repair(that one counts for later tiers too), harvest, deposit and spawn. They are much, much faster and net you more reliable results.
  13. SixNineFour

Actually... No. Most directives are based on ribbon/medal count, not the weapon counter. To set it up like most weapons would require the devs to create at least 3 different ribbons for the 4 or more turret variants they have.
  14. csvfr

Bull****, the directives clearly say "Get X kills with weapon" not "Get X medals with weapon", as well as them updating whenever a kill has been made.
  15. Blam320

It just so happens that the number of kills you need with standard weapons correspond to the different medal tiers for each weapons, for instance, when it says you need 1160 kills on your AR for the Auraxium directive, you're actually working towards the Auraxium Medal for that weapon.
  16. csvfr

I was mostly disagreeing just to disagree.. It might be right, even though the description says ''get X kills with weapon'', the actual kill counter can overshoot by 10-20 kills or so when the directive is complete - it misses kills or something. So the ribbon conjecture does seem plausible afterall.
  17. Smoo

XP for repairs is fine, but there are simply no situations where you repair that much- either the threat goes away (dead or loses interest), or they smash down the repaired item despite the repairing.

Which is why they should replace the directive goals with more reasonable goals that encourage teamplay, instead of the borderline exploit that is repairing decaying walls.
  18. SixNineFour

Is the 7h for repair directive is based on single source? (repair tool only)

The ribbons flow much faster when you use repair vehicles. Using a repair sundy should shorten the time it takes by 1.5 - 4 times.
  19. Pacster3

No idea. I donät even know if you can repair constructions with a sunderer...or if they are fast enough to counter the decay. Can't test it either cause I'm done with that directive. Together with the summer event and some boosts those 7h got me a nice number of certs. =)
  20. Pacster3

Nope...does not work.