Nerf ADAD into the ground

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberNoob1337101, Jun 24, 2017.

1. LaughingDead

I’ll forgive the necro just this once because it’s still a problem.

As past demi said, it is the desync between the user and the server causing model warping which can be abused really really easily.

Unfortunately his suggestion wouldn’t really work because that simply makes everyone ****tons slower for just looking around. As much as I’d like a fix for this, nerfing the gunplay as the OP suggested is not a great solution either because then you have times where you are aware a light is flanking but turning too fast makes your gun too inaccurate to defend yourself even though you were aware of the threat.

What I really hate is that this actually comes up frequently from higher tier players so they often live and keep up their solo momentum through an unintentional effect of the models and ***** lower tier players the most even if they choose to play smart to compensate the weakness of lesser aiming skill.

It’s a tricky puzzle. Can’t simply nerf turning because then you’d make infantry sluggish, can’t nerf guns when turning because then you’d have inconsistent gunplay. Best way would be to fix models but that’s also hard.

Edit: We should 100% put in a delay to crouch though, as that is not an important movement skill (to instantly leg day the **** out of someone)except in dodging headshots or making cloaks less visible.
    • Up x 4
  2. Towie

DOH didn't spot the necro :(

I even said that i'd agreed on previous threads - not realising that this was one of them from last June !

Still - shows how far we've come. Or not.
  3. MonnyMoony

How so. Movement interia could be applied to AD, WS or C movements - without affecting rotation using the mouse. Doesn't the Max unit already use such movement mechanics already? Just apply it to all units (but to a lesser degree to reflect their lighter mass and greater mobility)

Depends how it was implemented. It could be implemented similar to bloom per shot, so that every time you press the A, D or C key for example - your COF increases. It only settles again when you stop pressing these keys. By pressing them in rapid succession, your COF could increase in much the same way as sustained fire does.

Again - there is no reason to suppose rotation via the mouse would affect this.

You don't need to nerf movement or guns while turning. ADAD and crouch spam have nothing to do with turning.
  4. MonnyMoony

I saw a sniper doing this the other day.

Crouching up and down so rapidly that he seemed to warp between states. It was impossible to land a headshot on him - yet he seemed to be able to return fire with remarkable accuracy despite his rapid movement.

This example was especially ludicrous given the type of weapon he was using. It's one thing being able to jump around and land shots in CQC combat using a pump action shotgun - but to be able to do so from several hundred metres out, using a sniper rifle.......o_O
  5. LaughingDead

My mistake, I failed to mention a large portion of the bug is that turning your mouse helps warp the model far more and is more so actually atuned to sprinting and/or moving forward while rapidly moving the mouse synergistic to the movements applied to AD AD.

Adding momentum to the ADAD movements would simply make everyone slower and easier to hit by everyone else, especially snipers. Adding inertia to the actual source of the problem would make everyone sluggish for looking around and would be akin to having mouse acceleration on which hurts more people than helps when it comes to aiming.

We already have people who have trouble stutter stepping, adding more layers to a complex/meh gunplay system would only solve the one problem while causing several others. That's why it's a tricky problem. A solution that fixes the problem without affecting other parts of the game is almost like creating a new system entirely which would screw over people already accustomed to the system we have now.

Again, what the OP is talking about is the "break dance" method of making your model unreasonable to hit by every mean possible, if it was just ADAD spam, it wouldn't be an issue because players already should be used to aiming at targets that move left and right. And mouse turning mixed with movement creates the model warping effect.
    • Up x 1
  6. MonnyMoony

The inertia effect wouldnt really have to be that big - just enough so that the server can anticipate the movement and properly track the player's model without warping. This could be as little as 100ms worth of inertia.

Even if it did make everyone marginally slower/easier to hit - why is that an issue as long as it applies equally across all players?

Currently there is a large disparity between players who utilise the ADAD and crouch spam exploit (especially those using macro to drive the behaviour), and those who do not. Levelling the playing field to minimise the effect of this exploit would be a massive quality of life boost to many players.

But that's not the case most of the time. In my experience, people use ADAD and crouch spam whilst returning fire. In these cases, there is no (or very little) mouse rotation as they seek to maintain aim on their target (i.e. you).

I really don't care about players who dance from side to side whilst running away. It's the ones who do it whilst maintaining aim (even with a sniper rifle) and instagibbing you who are the problem.
  7. Vulpecula07

I like the way lost planet character moves, you have the inertia, also when you jump and land, it takes a short moment for you to stand straight.
    The PS2 dance is just nonsense, every time I dance I'd survive or even manage to counter, and I don't even know how I achieved that. I hate this myself.
  8. Corezer

I remember Lost Planet. That game was the ****

IDK why you bring it up, unless ur trying to say mechs are a good idea for planetside... cherry picking game mechanics is how we ended up with a ****ty battlefield...
  9. Daigons

Just add weight to all the gear and ammo that players carry. That should be factored in with all the ADAD spam. It should be a lot harder for a player sporting a SMG, a rocket launcher, C4, armor, field, and ammo to dance around
  10. MonnyMoony

Yep - I have suggested in the past that different units should have slightly different movement speeds and jump heights. A HA and engineer carrying all that gear should not be as agile as a LA or an Infil who run relatively light.
    • Up x 1