[Suggestion] Get Rid of the Magrider!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malebranche, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Doc Jim

Which is why the Vanguard without a "chassis" has a higher maximum speed (5km/h) than a Magrider without a "chassis" and both Vanguards and Magriders with "racer chassis'" have the same maximum speed?

Yes, the Magrider is designed to outmaneuver its enemies and this does work... in areas which are more or less flat. But this game is not built around tank combat, this game is built around zerging. This game has choke points for vehicles. And this puts Magriders and therefore the VS at an undeniable disadvantage.

You know how the VS on Miller works around this integral disadvantage? They have become an absolute pest. Miller VS has adapted to combined arms backstabbing ninja bombing yeurch. They are horrible enemies because they have accepted that their "tank" is situational at best. I would very much prefer them to have a decent tank so that they could go back to fighting with honor.
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

Vanguard has slower acceleration.
  3. Fishpoke

Prior to whoever messing around with vehicle handling yet again, nerfing speed of EVERYTHING (except prowler, that got a speed buff) magrider hover issue was fixed with rank 3 of any chassis certs. Now it takes significant fall damage again and easily beats itself up going up and down hills too fast. Whats the point of Hover? Can I just have tracks if it will mean I can go up and down hills without blowing myself up?

So spend some more development time fixing your mistakes while getting paid for it. 5 years. It's been like this for 5 years. You can't fix ANYTHING without breaking several more and the only way the "devs" know how to fix anything is apparently with nerfs. Wait... infil and LA can get buffs, and some NC weapons. Everyone else? You get NERFS. /rant
    • Up x 1
  4. Blam320

Magriders aren't garbage at all. On the weak side compared to Prowlers and Vanguards, yes. But not garbage.
  5. NXR1

I think magrider needs afterburners in all directions and thats about it. You shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation to be out DPS'd by the prowler or just blammed by a vanguard.

Also if they would nerf the turning speed on tank turrets mag could actually use its agility at CQC.
  6. OtoriAssahara

Mountains? Hill? Vertical Walls? Who need it when he have Magburger.[IMG]
  7. OtoriAssahara

8. OtoriAssahara

If you think McBurger is weak, you are simply hopeless as a driver. Mobility that only flying units can beat. A DPS that is short-range killer. No missile fall (almost zero). VS is not weak, just 80% is casual gamers.
    [IMG]
  9. Pacster3

That's the reason why PPA and VPC are so crap on magriders....cause you can do stuff like that at some bases. Most of that stuff is rather risky tho and may end in a sudden death for the magrider.
    Most of the stuff you see on the inet about magrider stunts is with older builds tho.

Just two days ago we had a sunderer deployed midair between crown and Ti Alloys after an OS strike. There is some freaky stuff possible... =)
  10. Suicidalspectre

I think the magrider just needs a little redesign. Close off the front gun and instead make it a twin rotating top turret. Driver gets the lower level of the stack, with a sleight upward elevation restriction. Gunner gets the upper part of the gun stack, which has full elevation of guns, but depression is slightly limited so that the guns can't clip each other.

This fixes several problems. One manning a tank still keeps it in line with the other tanks. Magburner can be used to run away, but unlike before a single person piloting it can lay down suppressing fire. With the gun moved from the front to the top, hopefully the geometry of the bottom of the tank will be simplified to make it a true hovering tank.
  11. Towie

Honestly some people need to actually drive a Magrider to understand.

You think it's easy to get to that sort of point ? Try it. You'll flip like a burger more often than not.

No missile fall ? Magrider main guns are the droopiest of them all.

Then take on a Prowler or Vanguard 1/2 - you will lose.

You need to spend time in all three to really understand how they perform. They are very different - and don't get me wrong, I really like the Magrider. BUT if you think it's an OP beast, you really really need to give it a go.
    • Up x 2
  12. Trigga

This is the problem with this place.
    No-where anywhere did that guy say it was an 'OP beast' you just completely and totaly made that up.
    'VS is not weak' is the closest he came to that, and its a far cry off it.

Why do people think this is a super clever thing to do? Its not and it fools no1.
    And if you dont realise what youre doing, thats even worse as youve just created a habbit for it.
  13. Towie

Oh so you think the text wasn't even hinting that the Magrider is all powerful ?

I'll paste the text here again for you to re-read and make your mind up:

Mountains? Hill? Vertical Walls? Who need it when he have Magburger.
    If you think McBurger is weak, you are simply hopeless as a driver. Mobility that only flying units can beat. A DPS that is short-range killer. No missile fall (almost zero).

...which is technically wrong on every point, something that anyone would know if they had spent any time at all driving one (which is my point entirely).

I'm assuming that English isn't your first language so i'll cut you a lot of slack - but seriously you are way off the mark on this one.
  14. Trigga

Born and raised in England m8, but try again with your racism.

The dude defo got some **** wrong, but dont try to pretend you wernt painting an exagerated picture of him.
  15. Towie

Wasn't being racist at all - assumed you were having difficulty understanding the posts - now I know you have no excuse !

He got everything wrong and was most definitely suggesting the Magrider is something special.

I'll state my point again more clearly: Anyone who solely drives one factions MBT gets a distorted view of the abilities of the others. I encourage everyone to try them all out.

Magrider has great maneuverability but is flimsy, easily pushed around even by Harassers (especially by Harassers) and desperately needs a second gunner

Vanguard is very tough with a great gun but is a dog to drive around and best not try a steep hill (up or down)

Prowler is zippy but slips around a lot, fragile - with awesome DPS

They're all both 'great' and 'awful' depending on the circumstances.
  16. Trigga

Ye was trying to exagerate your position to make my point, i failed lol.

Well, i think he was suggesting the mag can go up to the top of hossin plateaus, true and the pic supports that.
    And also that the mag has greater mobility than any other ground vehicle, false, harasser and ANT arguably have more.
    And also that the mag has High DPS, its the middle of the 3 tanks, so both false and true depending on what youre comparing it to.
    It has no missile fall, asuming he means drop-off, false for main cannons they have quite a bit of drop, true for some of the top guns false for others. So all in all, not a true statement.

Lets try to stick to addressing the points made, not ones imagined.

I agree with your statements about how the tanks play.
  17. frozen north

Right now, in my experience, the magrider and the prowler are both in a race to the bottom.

The big thing that the magrider needs, at least in my book, is to have it's unique role of an ambush machine be capitalized on in a reasonable way. I think the best way to approach this it to adjust it's base mobility. Specifically, increasing it's hull traverse speed, acceleration in all directions with a particular focus on the horizontal acceleration, and allowing it to better conserve it's extra boost momentum. That tank surges up to 100 kph with ease thanks to that boost. It should be able to retain the majority of that momentum for more then 3 seconds at most.

I would also suggest adjusting its HESH cannon in one of two directions. Either return it's one hit AOE potential, but double down on it, giving it more damage and a slower fire rate then the vanguard HESH, or make a sustained fire equivalent to the prowlers HESH cannon.
  18. Scatterblak

Pass. My teammate and I regularly engage and kill prowlers and vanguards in our mag (we both have the same one kitted out, and take turns pulling it). You just have to know when to *not* engage those guys. Flat area in the open is a Bad Plan™. Lots of trees and rocks, or differing altitude - just strafe some peek-a-boo and take them out at a distance.
  19. adamts01

I agree. I love the Mag as is. I do worse in it than in a Vanguard, but I can see how it has a ton of unique potential. And I 100% blame my failure in the Mag due to me being a noob tanker. Where VS is really hurt is at some of those bases where flanking just isn't an option, like most of Hossin, but a lot of that is due to poor map design.
  20. Malebranche

So you pretty much admit that the Magrider is situational at best, which can only be used if everything is right. That factor alone puts the Vanu in a disadvantage as a faction because they dont have a general MBT for all situations and are forced to rely on Lightnings and Sundies instead.