Is Planetside 3 in development?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by elkikko92, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Movoza

I estimate roughly 2 weeks, maybe 3 if you want more room for thinking on the design, but still develop it asap.

Besides design you need to rip out or modify existing code to implement the new design, and then build the new features on top. That requires expanding the datatables, adding functionality to the membership for the extra slots, coding for when the membership is deactivated and possibly when it is reactivated, code for the groups and moving them, visuals and some minor functionality like expanding and comtracting groups, interactable menus and such. Then they need to test it. If they have a driver that can interact witj Planetside they can automate it, or else they need people to test it. As too few people will test this on the PTS, it's all in their own time. Further editing based on findings,
    Now I'm assuming some legacy code, but older engines and new people working on it limits things further. It might not be possible engine wise, like adding a alternative fire button besides the zoom function (not switching to alt fire, but a direct button). This is because the engine can dictate a ton of this stuff, forcing ways to code. Even though menus can be mostly be outside these restrictions, they can very much play a role.

It might overall not be hard, but it can certainly be time consuming. A lot of things can also dramatically increase the time, like difficulties with the data tables.
    • Up x 1
  2. Luicanus

Fair, I'm by no means a coder. However, I'd posit that a month or two's worth of effort to overhaul the friend's system in PS2 would be absolutely worth the effort. In its present form, it's simply not fit for purpose given the social team-based nature of the game.
  3. Bloodlock

PS2 successor? Yes... it's called Pantropy... :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  4. UrielSeptimIV

Another reason why PS3 might not happen soon is the engine.

If they stick with the current engine - there will be a lot of effort because they don`t know their engine (It was on stream: "In General, we are not engaged in development, but in archeology" )

If they stick to a new engine that will require additional funds to optimise chosen engine to massive FPS fights.
  5. DIGGSAN0

Imagine you have to begin everything new.....

I have Invested time, Money and Emotions.....and that should just get deleted with a new game?

I would like to see something given to me in PS3 then
  6. Luicanus

There could be some sort of concession made to players depending on their time and monetary investment in PS2

They might get a bonus lump sum of DBcash and/or Certs, or bonus boost(s) that they can activate, Perhaps special Veteran edition weapons skin (s), similar to Aniversary Edition weapons.

There are a number of ways you could reward returning veterans that wouldn't excessively harm new players.
    Certainly, a new player facing these same veterans on PS2 would likely face a more severe differential in accumulated cert and cash investments.
  7. KingSnuggler

I wouldn't play PS3 as a battle royale game, I do want the good elements of Planetside 1 and 2 in 3 however I think the lattice system in the next game should never be implemented again, really the lattice system kinda just pushes the same fights in the same locations at least without it people would be fighting all over the map and not the same 3 spots again and again. Spread your forces out like it should fighting a battle everywhere, deserted bases oh well then you lose them, i would however change ghost capping to at least a full squadron no sole person should be able to cap a base by himself, a team effort yes, and infiltrators like MAXes wouldnt be able to cap either.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jabpba

For playing Planetside 3 at more than 15 fps we will need this:
    [IMG]

At Home.

Or personal quantum computers.
    • Up x 1
  9. ExarRazor

this is what PS2 should have been in the first place. ps1 with modern graphics, controls, and shooting mechanics
    • Up x 3
  10. iller

WHY though? ...This is like the worst possible timing in TWO DECADES to try and announce a new MMO when all of the momentum right now is behind Mobile games and battle royal Garbage. Investment enthusiasm is at a record Low

Not only that... but we know they also don't have access to a real ALL-CORES Multithreading engine yet. Infact the only MMO engine anywhere in existence that we've seen functioning this way (with Bots which isn't exactly Real players) is owned by CityState Entertainment and the chances they'd license it to a direct competitor is slim to nil.
  11. Dakka43

are you kidding they can barely keep planetside 2 alive.

There is no reason why they couldn't do it now with PS2 Ghost capping is awful it should require no less that 5 people to start a cap.. But that very reason is because PS2 has low pop for what the game stands for which was to hold battles of 100s of people.. I remember those days but those days are long gone you'll be lucky to even hit 100 people within the same area.
  12. Liewec123

We still have another server merge left (the 2 US servers can merge into 1, the 2 EU servers can merge into 1)
    And if the ping won't kill us all, we could even merge that US server with the EU one even further down the line,
    Population won't be a problem, one map still remains full at prime time.
    • Up x 1
  13. Dakka43

that adds like 300 people to each server during prime times.. Game used to hold 1000 on any given server.. Though I think it is time for servers to start becoming one as its making the game feel boring without the massive battles.
  14. Pikachu

Game used to hold 2000 on any given continent. :)
  15. adamts01

This is what really sucks. It's been clear for at least a decade that computers have focused on threads over clock speeds. You'd think that fundamental change in direction would have been addressed by now. There's really no point in considering making PS3 until a multi-core engine is available and stable.
    • Up x 1