Continent Lock Outs (End the 3 Way)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fishpoke, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Fishpoke

It would be lovely if we could lock out a third empire to a second continent where they can fight whoever has control.

The 5 year long 3 way is a bit stale at this point, and no longer necessary now that we have other continents available to us. Perhaps merging US servers + EU and Asian + Aus would be in order as summer begins to die down and kids go back to school.
  2. FateJH

You can do that by capturing through the three bases directly connected to their warp gate and holding the line for as long as necessary.

I mean, the concept of bouncing enemies off a continent sounds great until you realize the incentive (player motivation) for voluntarily jumping over onto some other continent to fight against that whole displaced faction is meager. "Where the action is" has always been the deciding factor in regards to where large groups of players choose to congregate. "People play on Indar because people play on Indar," that is to say, and little has ever made a dent in that trend. Additionally, that faction that was just kicked off one continent has no real direction on the other continent, especially not one that would reliably bring them back to the continent which is currently of high excitement if that is what they wanted. You need a lot of unspoken moving parts in the background if you wanted to make this kind of system work while stay appealing and, at every step of the way, the developers have dodged these choices.
  3. KingSnuggler

Who doesn't like 3 ways ? ;)
    • Up x 1
  4. Fishpoke

Having a 3rd empire on every cont means once a fight develops between two empires, if pops aren't high enough the 3rd will be off ghost capping things... which means the fight between the other two empires will be split up to defend... so one big fight turns into a couple smaller fights which shift around RAPIDLY.

Now just having players logging in directed to the 2nd cont will keep a fight going on it... just delete Koltyr (underused and detracts from new player experience and hurts pops)

Lock out timers after switching empires twice need to be put in place. You can switch twice so you can potentially log in to all 3 factions, but after which point you'll have to wait 6 hours to refresh your lockout timers.

I'm not say I dont ever want a 3 way, it'd be nice to experience something different after 5 years of a singular 3 way playing out over smaller fronts.
  5. Blam320

What I'd like to see more of is incentive to not double-team the faction that starts an alert into oblivion. It's unfun for both the defender, who has to deal with 2/3ds of the entire server population beating them into submission for 40 minutes, and the attackers, unless they take some perverse pleasure in gross overpops and farming spawn rooms (which might be the case on Connery, amongst all factions).