Orbital Strike is forcing players' hands

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Friendlee, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Friendlee

Listen, if you don't like to engage in battling to take over the planet, and you'd rather tool around in an ant vehicle and play a mine-craft-like mini-game, that's on you.
    But when the construction module in PS2 starts to force me as a non-construction-guy to 'deal' with a player-made mini-base without my consent, I believe it is now time to get after why the devs or 'dev' is trying to force me to go leave a battle whether I like it or not, to go take out a hive.
    What do I mean by this?
    You should know already if you played ps2 before the construction loadout.
    (wait for it)
    Yep. I'm talking about my 450 nanite max purchase.
    The orbital strike takes me out in one fell swoop every time. One push of a button and all maxes die in battle instantly.
    450 nanites down the tube.
    So...Are you mad, mister creator of the construction idea, that 99% of us wish you would put construction on another koltyr-like place where folks can goof around while waiting to spawn in?
    Why bother even suiting up as max if I'm going to be nuked in one second of a button push by some player who isn't even on the same base as me, and who has been playing 'construction' while everyone else has been fighting for A point on another base?
    It's like the kid in the sand box throwing sand in your eyes because you won't play with him and his new 'toys'.
    I'm tired of dying instantly as a max with one orbital strike.
    It's not even a part of the battle and for gods sake it's coming from an entirely different spot on the map!
    I've also been killed multiple times by my own factions' orbital strike as well, as a non-max!
    Either the dev that created the strike idea hates maxes, or he is tired of the tepid response to construction in general.
    Either way, killing maxes with one punch from somewhere off-site is ridiculous imo.
    And it reeks of desperation to force players to stop what they're doing, and go destroy a pesky hive that they were ignoring (like it or not in most cases.)
    Feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
    BR100 here.
    Vanu.
    And before you shoot me with a water gun to cool me down, my attitude during game-play is this: If the medics are ignoring me when i die right in front of them, then I become a medic instead of complaining in the chat window about it.
    Hoo-Rah!!
    Have a great day peoples :)
    • Up x 5
  2. Doc Jim

My friends and I have developed such a hatred for orbital strikes that we sometimes spend whole sessions tearing down player made bases wherever we find them. One thing that I find very helpful for such activities is an ANT with Howler and Yellowjacket lasers for destroying objects and the Scout Radar to detect any defenders.
    • Up x 3
  3. Friendlee

Thanks for the support Doc. I'm going to have to try your Ant idea. Looks like sweet revenge :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Tvayumat

So, if orbital strikes didn't force you to do anything to respond to them, what precisely would be the point of them?

You don't think it's reasonable for you to be mildly punished for losing control of the surrounding countryside? They had to build the base, gather the resources, build the uplink, and then let it sit long enough to bring you into the (visible) range circle.

People aren't always going to engage you where you want to engage them. Forcing your opponent to come to you or suffer is exactly the point of the OS.
    • Up x 13
  5. LaughingDead

No one formats their posts like this.
    Seriously you learned paragraphs in third grade at the very least.
    Stop writing sentences like this.

If you think the orbital is an issue ask for some players to help you kill it.
    • Up x 3
  6. FateJH

If you are going to write
    a single thought per line,
    then you could have tried
    to create a slant rhyme.
    • Up x 11
  7. Pelojian

the OP is effectively stating the same opinion that anti-vehicle infantrysiders have, just not disguised at all:

"this force multiplier occasionally kills me, but i don't want to counter NERF, NERF IT!"

because apparently counter play in a tactical/strategic combined arms game is hard.
    • Up x 6
  8. PoopDatGame OUT!

i dont see a orbital strike alot..plus its a orbital strike it suspose to do some crazy bs to people..hell i mostly get caught up in it when it happens...i get more deaths in a max suit on stupid stuff than a orbital strike.
    • Up x 2
  9. Halkesh

The OS user need around 1 hour to use its first OS, then can refire one per 10 min, it doesn't work while inside building, have a 10 sec visual and audio warning during which you have plently time to run away from the center and go inside a building.
    And people still think it's OP ?

Seriously, stop whining.
    • Up x 6
  10. Lee Weldon

I don't really want people to figure out ways to use it properly, but a well timed OS on a base with shield gens can effectively allow them to push onto the point and a synchronized squad could bring back all the generators at this time as well. But yes also to take down like 5 maxes with 1 OS sounds very punishing. On Briggs the VS for a while were building their bases during the lightning round where and when capturing territories is absolutely pointless, i.e. if you cap the middle base you're just making yourself fight two enemies, only real gain in a whole lightning round is 1 or 2 bases. And sometimes if set up on the corner 3 hexes, you can have 3 next to each other, and I still believe that player made bases are harder to siege than regular bases but they also cost like 5000 certs to have all the things that make them that powerful. But at that I feel these VS players got bored of the game some weeks ago or got sick of making the player made bases, so the times when the OS bases are really problematic are few and far between but mostly as a consequence to lightning rounds being absolutely worthless to go for base caps.

Still feel at disadvantage not dropping certs into base building but fear it could be made useless so i'm sitting on the fence, this feels the current predicament.
  11. Pacster3

If it was as hard to get a vehicle as a OS...and vehicles would have as little impact as OS, then...and ONLY then...you'd have a point. Vehicles are free, you get them with one click...and you can move with them. So no...you are wrong.
  12. Blam320

The only real nerf the OS needs is it shouldn't be allowed to be fired into Spawn rooms.

Otherwise, it's fair. I just spent several hours building and defending an OS base with a small squad. The NC allowed us to fully prepare defenses for it before they decided to attack, but by then our OS was fully charged. We punished their inaction by repeatedly nuking their Vehicle zergs, before proceeded to absolutely bully them with the Flail.
  13. Who Garou

The Orbital strikes have been in the game for a good while at this point.
    The only thing that can even be considered recent about Orbital strikes is that they can fire into lattice bases.

The DEVs add things to the game to mix up the combat - so things don't get stale.
    They have intentionally change bases from being resource gathering to offensive outposts so that they will be more involved and important in game-play.

Yes, you SHOULD feel like you need to go out and destroy that Orbital strike. You should be motivated to do that so that the construction players have someone to face in battle.
    Stop whining about it and attack the Orbital Strike if you don't like it.
    It isn't like you don't have the tools to take on an base with an Orbital strike.

I think it's 99% of yourself that wants construction out of the game.
    There are a large number of construction players and those that enjoy construction, but get caught up in other parts of the game and don't have time for construction.

I could just as easily say that 99% of non-TR characters wished that the Vulcan was out of the game and be far more accurate as far as a percentage.
    • Up x 1
  14. breeje

when construction was announced for the first time i thought it would be great
    fortify the existing basses and have the great long fights from the beginning of the game
    but no DBG made it a separate game in a game

as some players started to build there sand castles the majority of the players let them have there fun and played the real game
    but the castle players started tho whine when the others did not want to play minecraft
    if there sand castle was destroyed before it was finished they whined
    when there castle was finished and we did not come over and play with them the whined
    they wined so hard the devs needed to do something cause construction made them some money and wanted more money from those minecrafters

several attempts are made to connect the mini game with the lead game and the best one was adding it to the alerts
    construction could change who won the alert, but the players fighting for every inch/cm of the battlefield did not want those minecrafters to influence who won the alert
    sometimes we fought so hard and deserved to win but those minecrafters in there safe corner of the map changed the outcome of our well deserved victory so we learned soon to take out those basses and destroy them in seconds
    so those minecrafters started tho whine again

now the devs thought they finally found the solution tho join both games but the only thing they did was piss the rest of us off
    we where fighting the fight of our lives and some minecrafter comes along who was not participating to this fight and running our fun by dropping a bomb and stopping our fun and fight
    destroying everyone who did not run away and destroying our 450cert vehicles/max that we just pulled
    instead of the devs making this in to one game they made us hate the players of the mini game
    the one thing devs can do to make this one big game and we say this over and over
    is to allow building in the existing basses, we fight to keep the base and the minecrafters fight to protect there add on stuff
    we would all co-exist and fight for the same goal, but they won't, can't or care about it

devs need to stop this harassment, stop the nuking of basses
    even in biolabs we are not safe and this thing has a big ******* dome over it
    stop it before the hate becomes unstoppable, before the hate destroys the game

i know taking away the one fun thing those minecrafters have is hard to do
    but the devs did not think this true, they thought they finally found the solution but it's bad for the game
    now they need to recognize the problem, roll back the game and apologize tho the minecrafters for taking away there toy's
    i know it will be a hard thing to do but i don't see the alternative here other then destroying the fun of original game players
    a temporary fix would be to make costly stuff like MBT and max survive the nuking and no this is not the solution cause they have no support from other players and will probably be taken out fast by the enemy
    we are not happy with how the game turned out and yes now we start crying (laugh about it if you will)

the longest text i ever wrote in this forum, it must be working on my nerves harder then i thought
  15. FateJH

I have an alternative. Accepting that the core gameplay can change.
    • Up x 3
  16. MuggieWara

Do u like playing AA?If not,should they take aircraft out of the game too?

Grow up.
    • Up x 3
  17. breeje

changes and updates are great, it keeps the game alive
    but sometimes wrong decisions are made and DBG needs to acknowledge them
    whats fun for you to play can be a game leaver for the majority of the gamers and i am not talking about a handful of players

we all had some of our favorite weapons nerfed, none of us liked it but it was for the greater good of the game
    nothing against the people who like to build as long as it dos not interfere with my fun in this game
  18. Rebecca649

You do know Hive's are not in the game anymore?

Max's and Vehicles for that matter can be destroyed by goodness knows how many things at anytime by anyone. C4, Mines, MBT's, Anti-Vehicle Turrets, getting run over (enemy and friendly fire), Liberators etc...
    No one likes loosing a big nanite purchase quickly but its the nature of a combat game that death can come from any direction at anytime from a multitude of things. Why single out Orbital strikes?

They only fire every ten minutes at most and only when fully charged can they hit things far away, not to mention they actual give a warning when being fired and even before that on the map showing if your in OS strike raduis. When the enemy does fire OS I don't always get out of the blast zone but do most of the time either by legging it or taking cover inside a building.
    Besides I thought the VS Max was by far the fastest on its feet? If any Max should escape the blast zone it should be that one.

Sorry you are way off here. Construction has never been more relevant to the overall play and flow of the game than it is know and considering how many people you see not only build bases but people defending and using them in offensive ways to aid battles, I think your 99% theory is way off.
    Construction had some probs in the past, Hives being the biggest one but the Hives are gone now and construction always worked best before the change as strategic and tactical benefits to pushing into enemy territory and holding it. Now it really does work well because the bases really are part of tactics involved in battles.
    Construction flows and contributes far more to the combined arms of the game and for the most part I think the majority of people are very pleased with the changes.
  19. Rebecca649

I do not think I agree with anything you said here but to address this some what one sided view here, much if not all of these things you state have been fixed by taking away Hives? Have they not?

Now bases are built for strategic reasons and really do aid in the tactics and flow of battles both offensively and defensively.

One of the huge strengths of Planetside in particular to over combat games is that their is not one size fits all appraoch or just one way to play. Engineers, Medics and yes Builders all have a role to play and the game flows best when all get the opportunity to contribute to the overall battles. The changes made recently have ironed out most of the problems other people out side of the construction play had with it and the vast majority of players across the spectrum do seem to think construction as well as the combined arms and the game in general or moving in the right direction.

I love building, I love fighting in battles. Now I can do both. :cool:
  20. breeje

yes, maybe my view on things are one sided and what i see is not combined arms but harassment from a player who spend 30 minutes of base building and when it's ready he/she starts ruining the fight for the other players
    (added the /she special for you, isn't this not nice from me?)

the devs are trying to make one game with combined fights and try to fit in base building
    but this is not the way to do this, and i don't think i stand alone on this subject
    i know you guys want to be more active in the fight
    many players made suggestions to improve the base building and fit it in to the game
    it's not our fold DBG don't listen to us and do there own thing, afterall it's there game and they can do with it what they want
    i guess it's making as many money as possible

a large part of the player base is unhappy with the new way and we express how we feel so DBG can do a better job in bringing both games together
    the more people discus this theme the better DBG has knowledge on how to fix things so both parties are happy