[BUG] Performance has taken a dive

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beerbeerbeer, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Beerbeerbeer

I have a fairly powerful computer: i7 6700k with a water-cooled 1080ti, tons of memory and a pro SSD hard drive. I also have GSYNC.

Now I've always taken FPS hits while looking in the general direction of the zerg. While I cannot see these players, it's rendering them somehow. In the past I wouldn't drop below 60 FPS no matter how many people were there behind hills or walls, whatever.

Now, my FPS is dropping to the 30s and it's graphically lagging, fighting my GSYNC.

Again, this just by turning in the general direction of the zerg, without actually seeing them.

Fix this.
  2. LtBomber

Strange: I run i5 6600k, 1080ti, ssd, 16GB ram.
    In yell chat was the discussion going on a tri 96+ fight. I dropped from 180 (Warpgate) to 60 Full in battle. Not the best value, but sure not the worst. I guess loading and unloading huge numbers of players when beeing on the border to a big fight causes troubles...

More trouble is the jumpy server ping, randomly changing from 50 to 350 (median) to 1000++
  3. tommyrocket

I also get this kind of issue. Now, my system isn't quite up to par with yours, but it's been getting me along so far in anything I wish to play on my PC. I do really hope they can find better ways to boost performance, and one probable cause of a lot of it being something I'll mention soon below.

i5 4690k turbo boosted at 3.9GHz
    16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1666MHz (XMP)
    MSi GeForce GTX 750Ti Twin Frozr OC
    Windows 7 SP1 x64bit

GPU ain't the best, but it's usually running the game just fine for me. 70+ fps around the clock, unless there's just wayyy too many vehicles. Right now, there's an extremely redundant amount of vehicles in play most of the time. More players due to an event, and then more vehicles in general because everyone wants to get the Summer Support Ribbons for repairs/resupplies. It's possible to get those ribbons outside of vehicles regardless of the directive's description though, so as I was grinding away at that ribbon today on an alt, I saw 10 other engineers repairing the same sunderer.

At the crown earlier today, NC had tons and tons of sunderers, vanguards, you name it. Just a huge mob of vehicles. Since vehicle models in general are rather bulky and take up a lot of space, combined with gunners constantly firing, the lag just amplifies. I think even the servers themselves suffer from the masses of vehicles/vehicle weapons firing all at once.

So what do I think needs to happen to mitigate some of this problem? Optimization of vehicle models in general, especially when there's like a million of them. I don't get this kind of lag during a 96+ vs 96+ crown fight with little to no vehicles. There will always be lag during large fights like these, but the excess vehicle count pushes the lag through the roof more than need be.

Thanks to all that stuff going on, 30 ~ 40 FPS starts to look REALLY jarring for my eyes, and I play on a 144hz monitor. I can't set the game to run at 60hz even if I set my monitor to that, as the game forces maximum possible refresh rate with no way to fix it. (still?! come on devs) Please add an option to select refresh rate in the graphics options... please!

All of this other stuff aside, I still have fond memories of the months just after the OMFG update. (Operation Make Faster Game) Everyone on the SOE dev team was instructed to find ways to optimize the game, and they all did a very good job at that time. My fondest memory was running 50+ FPS while on complete ultra, on this very same system setup. Yes, that included ultra shadows, and the old blur that used to show up on wheels that made them look awesome as you roll around, such as in a harasser.

Once the VCredist2012 or 2015 or whatever it was was implemented... performance took a leap off a cliff... big time.
  4. ZDarkShadowsZ

Performance has been bad for me since the summer event update hit the servers on the 4th. Normally in big fights I get about 40-50 FPS since I like my game to look a little pretty, however now I've been to as low as 15 and I've had to stop playing now and then because of it.

While in-game the other day someone mentioned a fix for the issue was to reduce particle view distance to 0.00001 or something similar in the .ini file. I don't know if it works but some did mention an improvement on their frames. If this really is the problem, I'm guessing it's due to particles not being removed properly when the player is looking at something but shouldn't be able to physically see, causing FPS to take a nosedive into the ocean.
  5. Beerbeerbeer

For those with good computers and poor performance, can you post here if you have ambient occlusion on and what level of shadow and lighting detail you have?
  6. tommyrocket

I posted my specs and you saw those, I know the GPU isn't the best, but I consider it decent. Here's my settings:

Code:
    [Display]
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    FullscreenWidth=1600
    FullscreenHeight=900
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000

[Rendering]
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    LightingQuality=1
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=1
    RenderDistance=1544.000000
    Gamma=0.260000
    VerticalFOV=74
    ParticleLOD=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.65000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    UseLod0a=0
    BloomEnabled=0
    MotionBlur=0
    Smoothing=0
    SmoothingMaxFramerate=65
    SmoothingMinFramerate=0
    MaximumFPS=999
    GpuPhysics=0
    UseAspectFOV=0
  7. TerminalT6

I've been getting consistent 30 fps in smaller fights lately, and hitching is terrible when I get shot at or die. Used to only happen in the biggest 96v96 fights. When I die in my Liberator, the game sometimes freezes for 10 seconds before showing me the death screen. Pretty frustrating, but I'm suffering through it for the double xp and boosts I activated.

Ryzen 1600 OC'd to 3.8GHz
    GTX 1060 6GB
    16GB DDR4 2400MHz
    Windows 10

Code:
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000

[Rendering]
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=0
    LightingQuality=1
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=1
    ModelQuality=2
    RenderDistance=2000.000000
    Gamma=0.250000
    VerticalFOV=70
    ParticleLOD=1
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    VSync=0
    AO=0
    MaximumFPS=100
    UseLod0a=0
    BloomEnabled=0
    MotionBlur=0

8. Roxxlyy Community Relations

This is something we're aware of, and will be prioritizing for/before our next update. There's a small mass of issues causing the recent performance issues, and we've got all of our team working on getting things fixed up.
    • Up x 2
  9. Beerbeerbeer

Good to know, thanks.

Can you be sure to announce it in the patch notes so I can turn everything back on. I didn’t spend all this money to play this game in potato mode.
  10. AlcyoneSerene

Had to lower graphics from for the first time as it's unbearably choppy, but it did not help. gtx1080 i5 6600k max performance high quality ram this mobo can support, high performance SSD, win10, this game runs so poor now it's not even fun and hurts my eyes and ability to aim.